Carter County, Tennessee
Court Records

The first court of Carter County was held on July 4, 1796, at the home of Samuel TIPTION. The following magistrates were present:

Andrew GREER
Landon CARTER
Nathaniel TAYLOR
David McNABB
Lochonah CAMPBELL
Gutridge GARLAND
John VAUGHT
Joseph LANDS
Reuben THORNTON

The first county officers elected were:

Godfrey CARRIGER - Register
Joseph LANDS - Ranger
George WILLIAMS - Clerk
John MACKLIN - Trustee
Nathaniel TAYLOR - Sheriff

The first constables were:

Charles COLYER
Aaron CUNNINGHAM
Samuel MUSGROVES
Thomas WHITSON
Solomon CAMPBELL
John ROBERTSON

Nathaniel Taylor and Nathaniel Folsom were paid $50 each for laying off the town of Elizabethton as the county seat.

The following persons served on the first grand jury:

William DUGGER
George INGLE
John STOVER
John FENTRESS
Mathias WAGGONER
Levi LOYD
Jeremiah CAMPBELL
William PUGH
William DAVIS
William DUGGER
Julius DUGGER
Joseph FORD
John WORLEY
Stephen REDMAN
John POLAND
James RANGE
Michael HYDER
John PEOPLES
Robert LUSK

Only half of these people who were summoned actually served on the grand jury

The April term of 1797 the court was held at the home of William MATLOCK in Elizabethton, afterwards they met in the new courthouse.

In 1820 a committee was appointed to sell the old courthouse and supervise the building of a new one. Members of that committee were:

Jeremiah CAMPBELL
William CARTER
James KEYS
Jonathan HAMPTON
and Alfred M. CARTER

In 1852 another courthouse was needed and commissioners who oversaw this project were:

Godfrey NAVE
C. W. NELSON
L. W. HAMPTON
R. C. WHITE
John WRIGHT
Christian CARRIGER
Alfred TIPTON

The first lawyers of Carter County were:

James Patton TAYLOR
Alfred W. TAYLOR
Thomas D. LOVE
Hon. Thomas A. R. NELSON