Welcome
to
Decatur Co TN Churches

"Tennessee Trails"

The principal church denominations in Decatur County are the Methodist Episcopal South, the Missionary Baptist and the Cumberland Presbyterian. The Methodists of this County belong to the Decaturville Circuit and the Jackson District and the Memphis Conference. In the Decaturville Circuit there are eight classes or church organizations and four local preachers. By the report for 1885 there were 735 member belonging to the Decaturville Circuit. Among the earlier churches of the denomination is Gray's Chapel, which was built in 1853; the trustees at that time were W. T. Brasher, Wm. Ivy, Wm. Brigance, Henry Jackson, Thomas Hays, Wm. L. McKenzie and Phillip Ivy. The Methodist Church in Decaturville was built in 1854 in connection with the Masons. New Liberty was built on the land of Curtis O'Neal in 1855. The trustees at that time were L. B. Stanfield, Lewis Garret, S. Singleton, Henry Singleton and Joseph Kelly. The most of the church house now standing has been erected since the war. A. Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built at Mt. Joy in 1848. The trustees at that time were L. E. Davis, Wm. May and Robert Campbell. The church at Liberty was built in 1838. The trustees at that time were W. W. G. Rushing and John W. Bennett. The membership of the former congregation is given at twenty-eight, and of the latter at thirty-six. Perhaps the oldest and strongest denomination in the county is the Missionary Baptist, but no date of that church is at hand. (Goodspeeds History of TN 1886)


Beacon United Pentecostal Church - Parsons
Bear Creek Baptist Church - Parsons
Church of Christ Parsons Parsons
Crossroads Baptist Church
Cumberland Presbyterian Church Parsons
First United Methodist Church Parsons
Salem Baptist Church - Jeanette
Turman's Creek Primitive Baptist Church
United Methodist Church - Decaturville

Home