Decatur Co TN Obituaries
BLAND B. WALKER
- Services for Bland B. Walker 63, wee conducted Thursday from Sugartree Cumberland Church by the Rev. George McIlwain of Dyer TN. Mr. Walker died at his home here Tuesday night of a heart attack. A native od Decatur County, Mr. Walker had been associated with timber companies for many years and had operated a tourist court at Camden. He formeerly operated a story near Sugartree. Mr. Walker was a member of the Cumberland church. He leaves his wife of Lexington, two sons, James Walker ofLexington and Harry Walker of Camden; two daughters Mrs. Howard Stone of Nashville and Mrs. Jean DeLaGarza of Oak ridge. Five grandchildren survive. Burial was at Sugartree.
LOLA MAE WALKER
- Services for Lola Walker, 95, were Jan. 29, 2012 at Parsons Mortuary Chapel with Bro. LaVaughn Moody officiating. Burial was in Crossroads Cemetery. Mrs. Walker passed away Saturday Jan. 28, 2012. She was preceded by her husband Wilson Walker and is survived by one son, Jimmy Lynn Walker and three grandchildren.
- Funeral services for Mr. Wallace were Friday, December 7, 2007 in the chapel of Oakdale Funeral Home-Decatur County. Interment followed in Fulton, MS at a later date. Oakdale Funeral Home-Decatur County was in charge of services Mr. Wallace, a WWII veteran, age 82, died Sunday, December 2, 2007 at his home He is survived by one son, Edward Wallace of Henderson; several brothers and sisters; three grandchildren
EVELYN (KINDLE) WALLACE
- Services for Evelyn (Kindle) Wallace were at Reeds Chapel, Decaturville on Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010 with burial following in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery near Decaturville. Mrs. Wallace, age 86 of Decaturville died Tuesday Oct. 5, 2010 at WestwoodHealthcare in Decaturville. She was retired from Salant & Salant.
She is survived by two daughters Janis Boyd of Decaturville; Vicki Ivey of Parsons; a son, Larry Wallace of Jacksonville FL; a sister, Carrie Brewer Sanders of Huntingdon and four grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband Millard Wallace; a grandson; a sister Irene Kindle and three brothers, Holland, Albert and Charlie Kindle.
- Services for Nolah Wallace were May 19, 2009 at Bible Hill Cemetery. Burial followed at Bible Hill Cemetery. Mrs. Wallace 97, died May 17, 2009 at Decatur County Manor. She was preceded by her husband Phillip Wallace, seven brothers, Elmus, Billy, Edward, Lester, Paul, Hester, and Chester Flowers, one sister, Virginia Flowers. She is survived by five sons, Clyde Ray, Bruceton, Jerry, Robert, Oneal and Tony Wallace; four daughters, Orene Duke and Betty Jo Douglas both of Parsons; Shelby Jean Perkings and Nancy Clifton both of Bruceton ; one brother Hal Flowers; two sisters, Laverne Gilbert, Parsons; Maxine Hayes, Lexington and twenty two grandchildren.
- Services for Stella Ward, age 81, were May 21, 2013 at Parsons Mortuary Chapel with Bro. Jamie Spraberry officiating. Interment followed in Campground Cem. She was preceded by her husband;Thomas Ward, one sister, Eunice Evans and three brothers, Ivan, Junior and Denver Adams. Survivors include one son; Tommy Ward, two daughters; Rebecca Clenny and Sandra Denison, one brother, Arvas Adams and nine grandchildren.
RALPH A. WARREN - Funeral services for Ralph A. Warren, 68, of Parsons, were at Calvary Baptist Churh on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 11:00 a.m. with Brother Greg Stanford officiating. Interment was at Mt. Tabor Cemetery. Parsons Mortuary was in charge of the arrangements. Mrs. Warren passed away on Friday, July 16th, 2004 at Decatur County Hospital. He was born in Hayti, Missouri in 1936. Mr. Warren was retired from the United States Air Force, serving from 1954 through 1975. He served in Germany, Guam, Thailand, Greenland and several locations in the United States. After retiring from the Air Force, he returned to Parsons as a patrolman, Investigator and Chief of the Parsons Police Department from 1975 until retiring in 1995 after suffering several heart attacks. He battled cancer for two and a half years before his death. Ralph was the son of Grady and Ethel Warren of Parsons, who both preceded him in death. He was also preceded in death by his brother, Robert Warren. Ralph is survived by his wife of 28 years, Wanda, along with three daughters, Patti Earnest and Elmer Haby of Devine, TX, Deb Warren and Sally Kris Groada of San Antonio, TX, three grandchildren Nicole Reeves of Darden, Yvonne Roach of Decaturville, and Bobby Earnest of San Antonio, TX, five great grandchildren, Tyler, Nicholas and Jocob Reeves of Darden, and Kristina and Kyle Roach of Decaturville,. He is also survived by a dear uncle and aunt, Leon and Deen Stokes of Decaturville.
WILMA SUE (CORDLE) WATSON
- age 71, of Bath Springs died May 25, 2013 in Martin. She retired rom Johnson Controls. She is survived by 2 daughters, Linda Mathis and Lisa Brantley, two sisters, Evelyn Tharp and Linda Tucker of Decaturville and 4 grandchildren.
She was preceded by her husband Cecil Watson, her grandparents, Liggie and Sarah (Kindle Cordle; a brother, Franklin Liggie Cordle and a sister Martha Fay Barker. Services were May 27 at Grays Chapel Pentecostal, burial followed in Grays Chapel Cemetery.
GRAPLE (BRIGNACE) WEST
- Services for Graple West were July 24, 2011 at Parsons Mortuary. Burial followed in Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Mrs. West, age 94, died July 23, 2011 at Westwood Health Care. She was preceded by her husband Mitchell west; three brothers, Fed, Earl and Neal; one sister Grace Mitchell. Survivors include a sister, Mable Johnson of Memphis.
ZENA MAE (GURLEY) WESTERN
- Funeral services for Zena Mae Gurley Western, age 93, will be 2 p.m., Monday, August 8, 2011 at the Humboldt Church of Christ with Paul Helton and Tim Roland officiating. Burial will follow at the Corinth Cemetery in Scotts Hill, TN.
She was born August 23, 1917 in Scotts Hill, TN and passed from this life on August 5, 2011. She was educated in Decatur County schools. Mrs. Western was a long time member of the Freed-Hardeman Associates and an active member of the "Young at Heart" church group at the Humboldt Church of Christ, where she was a faithful member.
She and her late husband, Haywood, helped start Mid-South Youth Camp in Henderson, TN. She also helped start the Nursing Program at Freed-Hardeman University. She was an active volunteer and contributor to Youth Town of TN. She paid for many children to attend Youth Camp, and paid for numerous mission trips. She was well known for baking cookies and pies, and her joy was in giving them away.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 57 years, Haywood Western; one son, J D Western; one daughter, Barbara Western; five brothers, Voist Gurley, Gova Gurley, Essery Gurley, Robert "Bob" Gurley and Boyd Gurley.
She is survived by daughters, Juanita (Charles) Overall and Marilyn (Ed) Jackson; grandchildren, Gwen (Michael) Blackwell, Pamela (Dennis) Bentley, Jerod Haywood (Mary Beth) Jackson, Jenny Elizabeth Jackson and Edward Seigor Jackson III; great granddaughters, Erica Elise (Dennis) Weaver, Candice Magen Swayne, Abigail Elizabeth Swayne, Alexandria Kendell Swayne and Evan Elizabeth Jackson. Bodkin Funeral Home, 731-686-3111
- Services for Bonnie White were April 25, 2011 at Parsons Mortuary Chapel. Burial followed in Parsons City Cemetery. Mr. White, age 83, died April 22, 2011 at Decatur County General Hospital.. He was preceded in death by three brothers, Acton, Ivan and William White; one sister, Pauline Ashby. Survivors include his wife, Evelyn Cotham White, Parsons; two grandchildren both of Parsons.
- Services for Mr. Claude White were Saturday April 20, 2002 at Decatur County Funeral Home. Burial was in Freedman Chapel Cemetery in Decaturville. Mr. White, age 101, died Thursday APril 18, 2002 at the Decatur County Hospital. He was a retired famer and sawmill worker. Decatur County Funeral Home wa sin charge.
LARRY JOE WHITWORTH
- Funeral services for Larry Joe Whitworth were Tuesday at Parsons Mortuary Chapel. Burial followed in Bear Creek Cemetery. Mr. Whitworth age 64, died October 2, 2010 at Decatur County Hospital. Survivors include his wife Lorene Gilbert Whitworth, Parsons; a stepdaughter Janet Williams, Jackson; two brother John in Michigan and James in Parsons; one siser, Callie Lynn, Parsons and one stepgrandchild.
CLYDE RAY WATSON
- Survived by wife, Bette J Watson, Nashville; daughters , Tina Lang, Bedford Hills, NY, Leslie Ray Watson, Nashville; son Clyde Ray Watson Jr, Louisville, KY; five grandchildren; brother William Larry Watson, Nashville. His remains are at the Broadway Chapel where funeral services will be conducted Friday 2:00 pm with the Rev. Tom Baker officiating, Interment, National Cemetery. Observance Lodge #686 F&AM will conduct memorial Masonic services Thursday 7:00 pm Friends will serve as pallbearers. The family will receive friends , Thursday 2-4 and 7-9pm ROESCH PATTON AUSTIN-BRACEY & CHARLTON Broadway Chapel, 1715 Broadway, 244-6480
- Memorial services for Columbus B. White will be held at a later date. The body will be cremated. Brewer Funeral Home, Decaturville is in charge. Mr. White who was 80, died Saturday June 16, 2001 at Decatur County General Hospital of heart failure. He was a WWII Navy Veteran. He leaves his wife Mrs. Beverly Wickham White of Decaturville; a son, David of Bridgewater Mass.; a sister Eunis Eagle of Sandord NC and seven grandchilden.
EMMA CLAIRE WHITE
- Funeral Services for Emma Claire White were SEpt. 26, 2011 at Parsons First United Methodist Church. Burial followed in Concord Cemetery. Emma, age 4, died Sept. 22, 2011 at her home in Parsons. Survivors include her parents Kelley Pendergrass White and Blake White of Parsons; two brothers, Alex and Braden White, grandparents, Steve and Benita White and Norma Pendergrass, great grandparents, Nadine and the late Bob White; Howell and the late Lucille Pendergrass; George and Mary Ford; and Archie and Ruth Baker.
LEONA (BIVINS) WHITE
, 81, died Friday of congestive heart failure at Methodist Hospital of Fayette. Services will be at 2 p.m. today at Peebles Fayette County Funeral Home with burial in Somerville City Cemetery. She was a native of Decatur County and had lived in Whiteville before moving to Fayette County 50 years ago. She was a member of Somerville First Baptist Church. Mrs. White, the widow of Ruben Ellis White, leaves five daughters, Jo Frances Bateman of Sanford, N.C., Gail McCall of Lantana, Fla., Betty Snowden of Somerville, Judy Wilder of Mason and Brenda Jones of Auburn, Ala., 11 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
LOIS WHITE - Services for Lois White 68, will be at 2:30 p.m. Thursday at Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church. Burial will be in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Ms. White retired, died Sunday at Lexington Hospital of heart failure. She is survived by three daughters, Loretta White and Brittney Ashwood both of Lexington and Georgena Pratt of Clinton MD; two sons, Harold Davidson of Atlanta and Tyrone Thomas of Knoxville; and four sisters Mable F. Gooch, Maxine Williams, Eula Kizer and Beulah Porter all of Lexington.
- Graveside services for Robert (Bob) White were Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at Concord Cemetery Mr. White, age 80, died December 8, 2007, at Decatur County General Hospital. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Nadine Kennedy White, Parsons; three sons, Steve White, Lexington, Johnny Neal White, Columbus, MO and Joe Don White, Parsons; one daughter, Lisa Ann King, Jackson; six grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; one deceased grandchild
WILLIAM ODELL WHITE
- Services for Mr. William Odell White were Friday, April 29, 2011 at Reed's Chapel in Scotts Hill with Darrell Barber and Bobby Maxi officiating. Burial followed in Corinth Cemetery in Scotts Hill. Mr. White, age 91, died April 27, 2011 at Lexington Manor. Mr. White was preceded by his wife, Ollie Faye White. He is survived by a son, Tony White of Adamsville; a daughter, Wanda Boleyn of Lexington and two sisters Vernell Britton of Memphis and Letha Maness of Missouri.
PEARL (CONDER) WHITEHEAD
- Funeral services for Mrs. Pearl M. Whitehead 85, will be May 3, 2002 in the Chapel of Lawrence Funeral Home with Rev. Norman Culpepper officiating. Burial will follow in Crossroads Cemetery in Decatur County.Mrs. Whitehead died Wednesday in the Baptist Hospital in Memphis. She was born and raised in Parsons TN the daughter of the late Joseph P. and Laura Anne Crews Conder. Mrs. Whitehead, formerly of Jackson had lived in Dyersburg for the past several years. She was a homemaker and was Baptist. Survivors included one daughter Betty Gaither of Jackson; two sons, James W. Bawcum of Jackson and Johnny Whitehead of Carson City NV; two sisters Rosie Carroll of Dyersburg TN and Nellie Jo Brown of Poplar Bluff MO; and seven grandchildren.
BESSIE MAE WILKINS
- Services for Bessie Mae Wilkins will be today April 6, 2011 at Parsons Mortuary. Mrs. Wilkins, age 89, died April 3, 2011 at Quince Nursing Homein Memphis. She was preceded by her husband Glenn Wilkins. She is survived by one daughter, Sandy Yager, Memphis and one grandson.
OPAL T. WILKINS
- Services for Opal Wilkins were Sep. 19, 2011 at Parsons Mortuary, followed in Bear Creek Cemetery. Mrs. Wilkins, age 99, died Sep. 18, 2011 at Decatur County Hsp. She was preceded by her husband Wayne; two brothers, Rushing Tolley and Leo; two sisters, Willie Pearcy and Mary Nell Tolley. She is survived by two brothers, Earnest Tolley of Dyer and Eugene of Decaturville; two sisters Louise Tolley and Eva Myracle both of Decaturville.
JOE WILKINS - Funeral services for Joe Wilkins, age 77, were held at 2 p.m., Wednesday, December 21, 2005, at Parsons Mortuary Chapel with Bro. J.T. Todd and Bro. LaVaughn Moody officiating. Burial followed in Bear Creek Cemetery. Mr. Wilkins passed away Monday, December 19, 2005 at Decatur County General Hospital. He was retired from the TVA and was presently employed at Wal-Mart in Lexington. He was a member of Bear Creek Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Mattie Reed Wilkins; a son, Reed (Judy) Wilkins; a daughter, Lisa (Jeff) Pulliam and Justin Barker, all of Parsons. He was preceded in death by his parents, Obie and Bessie Wilkins; three brothers, Wayne, Glen, and Vernal Wilkins. Pallbearers were Bill Mays, Larry Reed, T.J. Barker, Ricky Barker, David Rosenberry, and Jeremy Beecham. Honorary pallbearers were Jerry Renfroe, Johnny Barber, Charles Moore, Ira Riley, and Jerry Wilkins. Parsons Mortuary was in charge of the services.
- Funeral services for Mrs. Dallas Williams, age 89, were Saturday Jan. 9, 2010 in the chapel of Pafford Fuenral Home in Scotts Hill with Rev. George Reed officiating. Burial followed in Mt. Zion Cemetery.
Mrs. Williams passed away early Thursday at her home. She was born July 8, 1920 in Decatur County to the late Jim and Mamie Currin Curry. She was a homemaker. She was preceded in death by her husband, Mr. Jack Williams and Two daughter, Jean Wright and Virginia Williams. Survivors include her daughter, Faye Reeves (Joe) of Lexington; two sisters, Alice Haggard and Opal Pratt of Schoos Hill; three grandchildren, Tracie Moore (Rick), Tim Reeves (Amy) and Tonia McKenzie (Kevin); and four great Grandchildren; a sister-in-law Louise McCormick of Scotts Hill and a brother-in-law Jim Williams of Memphis.
- Services for David Edwin Williams were Saturday, July 11, 1998 at Pafford Funeral Home with burial in Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Mr. Williams, 27, died Wednesday July 8, 1998 at Jackson General Hsp. He as a mechanic at Lexington Chevrolet. He leaves his wife, May Sue of Lexington; a daughter, Seria Marie Phipps of Lexington, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wade Williams of Lexington; two brothers Lynne Williams of Memphis and Tommy Williams of Lexington and a sister, Kellie Williams of Lexington; his parental grandparents, Paul and Jo Ann Moncher of Lexington; his maternal grandparents Charles and Billie Stewart of Trezevant.
LUNA (SIKES) WILLIAMS
- Flames that destroyed a frame house on Campbell St. early Friday also claimed the life of an elderly woman, Mrs. Luna Sikes Williams. Burned in an attempt to rescue his mother was Elmo Williams, who was hospitalized. Witnesses said Mrs. Williams, 77, went back into the flaming structure to try to save some insurance papers and a small amount of money. Services were Saturday at Pafford Funeral Home with Charles Thomason officiating. Burial was in Bear Creek Cemetery in Decatur County. Mrs. Williams was born in Decatur County but had spent most of her life in Lexington and was the widow of Joe Williams. She was a member of the Church of Christ. The leaves two other sons, Barney of Lexington and Charlie of Jackson; a sister, Mrs. John Lockhart of Lexington; seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
- Funeral services for Mr. Bud Williams were Tuesday, October 2, 2007, in the chapel of Oakdale Funeral Home-Decatur County. Interment followed in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. Oakdale Funeral Home-Decatur County was in charge of the service. He was preceded in death by a son Jeffery Scott Williams, his parents Rassie and Alma Williams; five brothers and five sisters. Mr. Williams, age 68, died Saturday, September 29, 2007, at St. Thomas Hospital. He is survived by his wife, Margie Williams of Decaturville; one daughter, Karen Shoulders of Pleasant Shade; one sister, Jean McGolthan of Indiana; two grandchildren.
MARY LOUISE WILLIAMS
- Graveside services for Mrs. Mary Louise Williams were Friday, Feb. 16, 2001 at Trinity Assembly of God, Decaturville. Brewer funeral home was in charge. Mrs. Williams was 81, died Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2001, at Lexington Manor of heart failure. She was a homemaker and a widow of Athanas Williams. She leaves a stepdaughter Mary Schirol of New Orleans; two stepsons, Athanas of Reserve LA and Earl Williams of Port Barry LA and seven stepgrandchildren.
ZELLA LEE WILLIAMS
- Services for Zella Lee Williams wereTuesday at St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church with the Rev. Lonnie Black Officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Hill Cemetery with Parham Mortuary in Charge. Mrs. Williams, 69, died Saturday afternoon at Lexington Methodist Hsp. where she was hospitalized a week ago from a heart attack. She was Lexington native, the widow of Ople Williams and a baptist. She leaves a daughter bobbye Bomer of Lexington; three brothers, Leon Doyle of Lexington; Paul Doyle of Columbia and Gecova Doyle of Flusing NY; a sister Vivian Terry of Dallas and a grandaughter.
ERNEST R. WILSON
- Services for Ernest R. Wilson, 83, were at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Parsons Mortuary with the Rev. Doyle Mills officiating. Burial was in Crossroads Cem. Mr. WIlson, a retired employee of Salant and Salant, died Sunday at Decatur Co Hsp. after a long illness. Surviving are his wife Della Kirk Wilson; two daughters Mrs. Helen Garret of Parsons and Mrs. Frances Holt of Birmingham AL; a sister Mrs. Leva Edmonds of Parsons; and six grandchildren.
MELBA (MORGAN) WOODY
- Funeral services for Melba Morgan Woody were Sunday July 6, 2008 at Parsons Mortuary Chapel. Burial followe din Liberty Cem. Mrs. Woody age 88, died July 4, 2008 at her daughters home. She was preceded by husbands, Thomas Edison Morgan and Ben Woody. Survivors include one daughter, Pattye Morgan Pratt, Parsons; one brother, Gordon Scott, Scotts Hill; one sister, Marlene Ivey, Scotts Hill; one grandson, John Morgan Pratt.
- Services were held for Nealie Woods on Friday at Parsons Mortuary Chapel, burial was held at Mt. Tabor Cemetery . Ms. Woods, age 92, died on July 1 at her home in Parsons. She is survived by a sister, Dealie Perry of Parsons; and a number of nieces and nephews.
RUTH ANN WOODS
- Services for Ruth Ann Woods were held Thursday at Parsons Mortuary Chapel. Internment was held at Prospect Cemetery . Mrs. Woods, age 65, died July 12 in her home. She was preceded in death by her husband, Dewey Lee Woods; and a daughter, Janice Denham. Survivors include a daughter, Mary Taylor of Parsons; 3 brothers, Herman Weatherford and Willie Weatherford, both of Darden, and Elco Weatherford of Scotts Hill; 3 sisters, Eula Mae Pirtle of Darden, Helen Stegall of Decaturville, and Irene Martin of Greenbrier, TN; 2 grandchildren; and 2 great-grandchildren.
SHARNELL (COLEMAN) WOODS
- Funeral services for Sharnell Coleman Woods were Tuesday, January 31, at Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Burial in Suttles Chapel Cemetery . Mrs. Woods age 59, died Saturday, January 28, in the home of her daughter. She is survived by one daughter, Karen Gordon, Lexington ; one brother, Rick Coleman, Decaturville; one sister, Henrietta McCorkle, Parsons; 2 grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her mother Lunell Coleman and her father Charlie Coleman.
BILLY HOWARD WOODY
- Services for Mr. Billy Howard Woody were Sept. 27, 2011 at Scotts Hill CHurch of Christ. Burial followed in Mt. Zion Cemetery. Pafford Funeral Home in charge of arrangements. Mr. Woody, age 81, died Sept. 25, 2011 in Decaturville. He was a self employed drywaller. Mr. Woody was also a WW II veteran serving in the Army. Mr. Woody was a member of the American Legion, a long time member of the Henderson County School Board and a long time Alderman for the city of Scotts Hill. Mr. Woody was preceded by a son Mike Woody. Survivors include his wife, Jean Lomax Woody, a son Jeff; a sister Wanda Rogers and four grandchildren.
VELMA LEE (MAYO) WYATT
- of Savannah died Wednesday, July 16, at Hardin
County Nursing Home at the age of 85. She was born Feb. 16, 1912 in Decatur
County and was the daughter of the late James D. Mayo and Minnie Clenney Mayo.
On Dec 17, 1933 she married James Robert Wyatt who preceded her in death on Jan. 19, 1989.
Mrs. Wyatt was a homemaker and a member of Russell's Chapel United Methodist Church.
Services were at 11 a.m. at Shackelford Chapel with burial in Pleasant Hill Cemetery
in Decatur County. Jimmy Davis officiated.
Se is survived by two daughters,
Marlene Pipes of Savannah and
Cathy McPherson of Bartlett;
three sons, Joe Wyatt of Picayune, Miss,
Roy Wyatt of Bath Springs and
Jerry Wyatt of Memphis;
one sister Rada Thomas of Goodlettsvile;
one brother Orville Mayo of Nashville;
eight grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, three step great-grandchildren and three step great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two sisters,
two brothers, two grandchildren and one,