Welcome to
Decatur Co TN Schools
"Tennessee Trails"

The schools of Decatur County were first organized while it was yet a part of Perry County. The academy at Perryville was built in 1825. Soon after the organization of the county Lot 99 was purchased in Decaturville, for the purpose of building thereon an academy. The trustees of the academy were J. L. Houston, J. A. Rains, H. C. Fryar, Wm. Henry an David B. Funderburk. A building was soon erected and a school opened. This institution has been under the control of the trustees appointed by the county court since its inception. Among the early teachers of the county may be mentioned Elias Blunt, familiarly known as "Gov. Blount," Elias Deaton, Geo. W. Beard; Green B. Rushing, Houston Roberts, Calvin Rushing, W. M. Dalton, B. H. Southerland. These men possessed the characteristics of early teachers — they had industry, knew how to wield the birch, and could teach the three "R's." The academy above mentioned was quite prosperous, and some able instructors taught in it. A college building was erected but was unfortunately destroyed by fire before ready for use. The scholastic population of the county is given at 2,019 white, and 340 colored. The enrollment for the year was 1,733 white and 231 colored. The length of school term is sixty days; the salary of teacher is $28 per month: the number of schoolhouses is forty-nine, and the total amount expended for schools was $2,815.31. (Goodspeeds History of TN 1886)

Ballinger School

Decaturville High School

Dunavant School - Decaturville

Mays School - Parsons

Mountain Oak School

Parsons - Unknown Log School

Home