Dr. R. A. Davidson, a well known and skillful physician, of Lexington, is a native of Lawrence County, Tenn., and the fourth child of a family of eight, born to John D. and Mary (Wasson) Davidson. The father is of Irish descent, born in North Carolina in 1818. He came with his father, John D., Sr., to Tennessee in 1827, and located in Bedford County. After a few years they moved to Lawrence County, where John D., Sr., died. John D., Jr., remained at the same place several years and was married in 1865. He became a resident of Henderson County, Fourth District, where he purchased a large tract of land, about 870 acres, where he now resides. His wife was born in 1828, in Lawrence County. Our subject received his literary education at Lawrenceburg; came to Henderson County when about thirteen years of age, and in 1870 entered into a clerkship in a grocery store for Caraway & Stegall, of Lexington. In 1874 he embarked in the same business for himself, continuing for three years and meeting with success. Much of his leisure time, during the year 1875, had been devoted to the study of medicine. Following the advice of Dr. John Howard, in 1876-77, he attended the medical department of Louisville University, where he graduated in March, 1877. He then returned to Lexington and began to practice. He is now recognized as one of the eminent and leading physicians of the county, where he has an extensive and lucrative practice. The Doctor is a Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Hancock in 1880. He is also a Mason, member of Lodge No. 87, Lexington. He has many friends by whom he is held in high esteem.
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee