J. N. Hall, a leading druggist of Lexington, was born in 1844, near his present place of residence. He is the son of Robert W. and Martha (Thomas) Hall. The father is of Scotch-Irish descent, born in Huntsville, Ala., in 1813. When a youth he commenced clerking in the dry goods store of Mr. Bradley, where he continued in the same capacity for about fifteen year. When about twenty-six years of age he went to Reynoldsburg, Tenn. The following four years he was engaged as clerk, captain or overseer on the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers. In 1843 he came to Lexington and established a mercantile house, where he displayed marked business qualifications, and met with success. In 1880 he moved two and a half miles out of the town; in 1866 went to Jackson and resumed merchandising; in 1883 he sold out, and has since lived a retired life. He has the confidence and esteem of all. His marriage with Martha Thomas occurred in 1843, at Paris, Tenn., an estimable lady of Henry County, born in 1826, of French-Scotch descent. To them eleven children were born, nine of whom are living, the subject of our sketch being the eldest. He received his education in the academy at Lexington. When quite young he entered his father's store as clerk, and remained there until 1878, when he came to Lexington and opened a first-class drug store, in which business he is still engaged, carrying a large stock of drugs, paints, oils, brushes, perfumes, etc. He is a man of ability and integrity, inheriting largely many of his father's noble traits of character. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and a Mason, belonging to St. John's Lodge, No. 139, of Jackson. He is also a Democrat, and his first presidential vote was given Horatio Seymour in 1868. Mr. Hall was married November 13, 1870, to Lyda Fielder, a native of Lexington and daughter of John S. and Mary P. (McHenry) Fielder. The father is a well known druggist. Mrs. Hall is the mother of three children: Robert W., John F. and Lyda. Mrs. Hall is a true Christian woman, a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee