BIOGRAPHIES of HENDERSON COUNTY

HUBERT THOMAS McGEE

Hubert Thomas McGee, member of the American Institute of Architects, which at once indicates his high professional standing, practices at Memphis, where he occupies a suite of rooms on the sixth floor of the Madison Avenue building. He has made steady progress in his chosen calling and now has a large clientele. He is a native son of Tennessee, his birth having occurred in what was then Henderson but is now Chester county, June 7, 1864. He is a son of Dr. Thomas H. McGee, a physician, who practiced at Henderson, Tennessee, for many years and there passed away in 1914, at the age of seventy-three. He, too, was a native of Henderson county, Tennessee. The mother of Hubert T. McGee bore the maiden name of Sarah Tabler. Mrs. Sarah (Tabler) McGee was born in Henderson county. Her death occurred in 1910, when she had reached the age of sixty-six years. In the family were seven sons and two daughters: Hubert T.; William T., an artist living at Fort Worth, Texas; Robert N., a contractor of Henderson, Tennessee; David, also of Henderson; Wofford R., an electrical engineer at Meridian, Mississippi; two sons who died in infancy; and the two sisters, Josie and Bessie, who reached young womanhood, married, and have also passed away.

Hubert T. McGee was reared and received his early schooling at Henderson, pursuing his studies to the age of eighteen years, when he went to Jackson, Tennessee, where he took up the study of architecture. He was in the employ of an architect and builder during that period and in 1887 came to Memphis, where he entered the employ of E. C. Jones, an architect, as draughtsman and as superintendent of construction on various buildings. In 1893 he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where for four years he was employed by architects of that city as draughtsman and superintendent of construction. In 1897 he returned to Tennessee and for a time followed his profession in Jackson. In 1909 he again came to Memphis, where he has remained and has steadily been accorded recognition as a leading architect of the city. He drew the plans for the Young Men's Christian Association building at Jackson and also for some of the most beautiful homes of that city. At Henderson, Tennessee, he drew plans for the courthouse of what is now Chester county, also for the Henderson high school, and he likewise made the plans for the Freed-Hardeman College and dormitories at Henderson and for a number of fine residences. The Hardin county courthouse at Savannah, Tennessee, likewise stands as a monument to his professional skill and ability, while in Memphis he has drawn the plans for a large number of beautiful homes, together with what is known as the Character Builders building on Claybrook street–an edifice erected by the Sunday school classes of the Madison Heights Methodist Episcopal church.

He is the architect of the various Clarence Saunders buildings, including the magnificent home that Mr. Saunders is erecting on his milliondollar estate. Other Memphis buildings for which Mr. McGee has made the plans are the Union Avenue Methodist Episcopal church, the St. Paul Methodist Episcopal church and the Sunday school and Social Service annexes of the St. John's and First Methodist Episcopal churches, together with various schools and many fine homes and beautiful apartment buildings. Perhaps the greatest achievement of Mr. McGee's career as an architect, however, is the new home of Clarence Saunders, situated on an estate embracing one hundred and sixty acres, just outside of the eastern environs of Memphis. When completed it will be one of the finest, if not the finest, private home in the south. It is built of pink and gray Georgia marble in beautifully blended colors, with a green tile roof, and its cost will perhaps exceed a half-million dollars. The style of architecture employed stamps Mr. McGee as a genius in his line. Other structures of almost equal importance are the tangible evidence of the highly developed skill and superior ability of Mr. McGee. He is a member of the Tennessee Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and of the Architects League of Memphis and at all times holds to the highest standards and ideals of the profession.

At Savannah, Tennessee, on the 1st of August, 1889, Mr. McGee was married to Miss Mary Clay Barlow, who was a schoolmate of his boyhood days. She is a daughter of William H. and Mary Clay (Kendrick) Barlow. Mr. and Mrs. McGee have one living son, Hubert Ralph, who is engaged in the cotton business. Another son, Harold Barlow, died at the age of four years. Mr. McGee belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and to the City and Exchange clubs, while both he and his wife are consistent members of the First Methodist Episcopal church, in which Mr. McGee is a trustee. Fraternally he is a Master Mason, being identified with De Soto Lodge of Memphis. Mr. and Mrs. McGee are highly esteemed socially and they are especially active in those fields where effort is most potent toward promoting the intellectual and moral development of the community and in upholding and advancing the standards of citizenship.

Prominent Tenneasseans

Back Home