L. A. Stanford, a well known and respected farmer of Lexington, was born in Henderson County, in 1837; he is the eighth and only living child of a family of nine born to Thomas and Clarissia (Ross) Stanford. The father was born in Greenville District, South Carolina, in 1797; he married a native of same State and district, who was born in 1801, and in 1834 immigrated to Henderson County, in the Ninth District; after living there two years moved to the Seventeenth District, purchased a plantation, and followed agricultural pursuits. He died In Lexington in 1880, at the advanced age of eighty-three years, an old settler, a prosperous and esteemed man. The mother is still living, making her home with L. A., who was raised and educated In his native county. At an early age he began farming, since which time he has continued the same business, having met with great success, and now owns 800 acres of valuable land; in 1882 he established a cotton-gin in Lexington in connection with his farming interests, and gins on an average 100 bales of cotton per year. When the late civil war broke out he was among the first to serve his country; in 1861 enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company H, Twenty-seventh Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and did gallant service at the battle of Shiloh, also in other engagements and skirmishes of less note, remaining in the army over twelve months. April, 1883, he married Miss Margaret Whyte, of Henderson County, who was born In 1843, a daughter of Joseph and Mary Whyte. To their union several children were born. Thomas, Lizzie, Lemuel, George W., Arcadius, James, Ruby and Johnnie. In 1873 Mr. Stanford was elected town marshal, and served about seven years; in 1879-80 was constable of the Tenth District. He is a life-long Democrat, casting his first vote for John C. Breckenridge. Mr. Stanford is one of the solid, enterprising and best known men in the county; his wife is a consistent member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Tennessee and Tennesseans