BIOGRAPHIES of HENDERSON COUNTY

GEORGE W. STEWART

G.W. Stewart is the father of the County Superintendent, G. Tillman Stewart. He was born near old Palestine in this county Decembr 23, 1865. He is the son of the late J. R. Stewart and wife. His father served as a Union Soldier in the Civil War. He went to the common schools of his day and later came to Lexington and attended what was known as Baptist College, For a number of years he served as a a clerk in what was known as the Stegall store, 7 miles south of Lexington, and has driven many a wagon to Jackson and Saltillo to haul goods for this store. This was before railroads were built in this county. He taught school for a number of years and in 1903 was appointed United States Deputy Marshal under President Roosevelt, in which capacity he served for nine years. He was then elected a member of the County Court and in a few months was made Superintendent of the County Farm for the Poor, this position he held for 12 years. He also served a term as member of the County Board of Education which was from 1915 to 1922. In 1930 he was again elected for a seven-year term as a member of the County Board of Education. His varied experience makes him a well qualified man for his position. He is at present, United States Commissioner for this section of the state, having received his appointment from Federal Judge Anderson.
Henderson County Schools - Personnel of County Board of Education December 1934

One of the County's calmest and soberest citizens of special note Is that of George W. Stewart of two miles south of' Lexington. Mr. Stewart is not the kind to talk a lot about nothing. He seldom speaks unless he has something to say, yet he is by no means a "grouch" He enjoys sports as well as a boy and always keeps up with the different leagues in baseball and football. He is a man of strict integrity, and everybody trusts him. He is loved and respected by all who know him, and has been a loyal member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for thirty-six years and has been clerk of same for twenty-eight years. Mr. Stewart was born near Lexington December 23, 1864. His parents were James R. Stewart and Mrs. Martha Mary Ann (Odle) Stewart. Our subject had almost reached manhood before he saw the need of an education. He then set about to go to school, walking several miles to school every day. In 1889 he began teaching and taught for fourteen years, possessing what would now be termed a high school education.

He was elected road commissioner for his home district by the quarterly court in 1898 and served for five years. In 1903 he was appointed Deputy U. S. Marshall for the Eastern Division of West Tennessee by Honorable Frank S. Elgin. In 1906 he was elected justice of the peace and was re-elected in 1912. In the same year he wad appointed Superintendent of the Henderson County Poor House and served for twelve years. In 1918 he was elected by the quarterly Court on the Henderson County Revenue Committee and served in that capacity for ten years. In 1924 he was elected by Massed Convention of the Republican Party, Chairman of said Convention and is still serving as such. He was.deputy sheriff from 1926 to 1928. In 1926 he was appointed U. S. Commissioner by H. B. Anderson, Federal Judge, and is still serving in that capacity. On October 6, 1930 he was elected by the County Court as a member of the County Board of Education to fill the vacancy made by the resignation of Fielder. He has also been a farmer almost all of his Life.

Auburn Powers History of Tennessee 1930

Back Home