Dr. E. G. Whitehead, an eminent and skillful physician and surgeon, of Moore's Hill, was born in Haywood County, Tenn., March 1, 1840, a son of Richard and Lucinda (Gordon) Whitehead. The father was of Irish origin, born in 1801, in North Carolina. When a young man he immigrated to Sumner County, Tenn., and at an early date moved to Haywood County, where he bought a large tract of land and engaged in agricultural pursuits. His death occurred in 1867. The mother was of Scotch descent, born in Louisiana, in 1806. Of the nine children whom she bore, seven lived to reach maturity; she died in 1868. The subject of this sketch was the youngest of the family. He received his literary education at Brownsville, Redland, Miss. and elsewhere. At the age of twenty-two he began the study of medicine; soon afterward engaged in teaching school, which he continued for several years, devoting his vacations and leisure time to the study of medicine. In 1874 he located at Moore's Hill and entered into the practice of his profession; in 1877 he graduated as an M.D. at the medical department of the University of Nashville. August 27, 1877, he married a daughter of J. D. and Margaret Evans, Miss Vina, who was born in Henderson County in 1860. They have four children living: Ella E., Lola, Lula and Richard. Mrs. Whitehead is a consistent member of the Missionary Baptist Church and a true Christian woman. The Doctor has succeeded in building up an extensive and lucrative practice; he is one of the most popular physicians in the district. He is esteemed and highly regarded both in professional and private life. In 1880 he erected a pretty house of modern style and has continued to add to its improvement since that time. The Doctor is a stanch Democrat.
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee