J. T. Wilson, an enterprising farmer of the Seventh District, was born in Rockingham County, N.C., in 1829, the fourth of a family of nine children born to J. B. and Sarah (Coffey/Caffey) Wilson. The father was of Irish descent; born In 1798 in the State of North Carolina, where he married a native, born in 1800; they came to Henderson County in 1832, settling in the Eighth District and buying a home. Mrs. Wilson died in 1846. (This is incorrect, she was still alive in 1850). Mr. Wilson's second marriage was with Miss Mary Pugh. His death occurred in 1878. The subject of this sketch was about three years of age when his parents came to Tennessee; he made his home with them until after attaining his majority. In 1866 he married Miss E. M. Barger, who was born in East Tennessee in 1848. They have seven children living Sallie, Theodore, Margaret, Emma, Lizzie, Henry Arzo and Lular. At the time of his marriage Mr. Wilson was residing in Carroll County. He moved to Henderson County and bought 269 acres in the Eighth District; in 1886 he located at present place of residence, five miles west of Lexington, where he owns 330 acres of fine land. Mr. Wilson is an energetic, prosperous farmer, a good neighbor, and one of the best known and respected residents in the section. He is a Republican — gave his first vote for Gen. Scott in 1853. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeeds History of Tennessee