Disappearance of Raymelle Rogers
The Lexington Progress

Transcribed by, Nicki Coffman


All Efforts to find the little Rogers Child, Dead or Alive, unavailing and Reward is now offered.
All efforts to find little Raymelle, the eighteen months old child of Henry and Mrs. Bessie Rogers, who was first missed on Sunday morning Jan. 26, from their home eight miles north of Lexington, have proven futile, notwithstanding the premises and adjacent section have been thoroughly searched by many eager people. The story of the loss of the little one, stripped of all useless verbiage, is that she was last seen on the night of Saturday Jan. 25, by the mother who left her with the father--which Henry Rogers denies. The mother, heartbroken, of course, was brought to Lexington to the protecting roof of her father, Mr. J. H. Scott. Henry Rogers was carried to Jackson for safe keeping and is still there. At the first of this week, the searchers for the body of the child lost hope and to some extent abandoned the hunt, but at that time a reward aggregating the sum of $150 was offered for the discovery of the child. There are many tales afloat, but it can only be hoped that time will reveal the truth of the mysterious disappearance.

FEBRUARY 21, 1913
Special Term of Court

The Circuit court of Henderson county will convene in special session on the 2d Monday in March, principally for trial of the Rogers case, in which the eighteen-months-old baby of Henry and Mrs. Bessie Rogers, seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. It is hoped that there will be developments in the case before the courts meets.

MARCH 14, 1913
Circuit Court

The Circuit court of Henderson county was convened in special session last Monday, having been called to try Henry Rogers on the charges of felonious assault and murder in the first degree. No jury was impaneled and the case was continued until the regular term of the second Monday in June.

MARCH 26, 1913
Henry Rogers Gets Fifteen Years In Tennessee Prison

In the month of February, 1912, Ramalle eight-months old daughter of Henry and Mrs. Bessie Rogers, disappeared from their home ten miles North of Lexington.
Investigation succeeded only in producing evidence that the body of the child had been burned in the fireplace in the house of which her parents lived, and Rogers was first tried on the charge of felonious assault on his wife, on which he was convicted and sentenced to two years in the penitentiary, which sentenced he served. He was then brought back to Lexington and at the June Term, 1913of the Circuit Court was tried for the murder of his little daughter. The jury found him guilty of murder in the second degree, on circumstantial evidence and he was give the indeterminate sentence of 10 to 20 years in the State prison. From that sentence Rogers appealed to the Supreme Court and pending the hearing of his appeal by the highest court he was allowed his liberty on five thousand dollar bond. The Supreme court, sitting at Jackson hear the case Wednesday and Thursday of last week and from the bench, Justice Williams handing down the opinion, the finding of the lower court was affirmed and Rogers received the straight sentence of fifteen years in the penitentiary.
Rogers was carried to Nashville last Sunday to begin serving his sentence.
Rogers married a daughter of Henderson Scott, which proved to be a most unfortunate and unhappy union and twice before the terrible tragedy, which resulted in the disappearance of the little girl, Rogers and wife had a divorce lawsuit in the Chancery court.

JUNE 20, 1913

Tried on Charge of Assault with intent to commit murder in the Second Degree and Found Guilty.
The case of the State of Tennessee vs. Henry Rogers, tried on the charge of assault with intent to commit murder in the second degree on the person of his wife, Mrs. Bessie Rogers, came to a conclusion in the Circuit court of Henderson county last Friday when he was found guilty by a jury and the punishment fixed at two years in the penitentiary. The case was given to the jury at about 11 o’clock in the morning and their verdict was returned at about 2:30. The Rogers case has been a widely discussed one in the county and the jury was obtained with less difficulty than was anticipated The jury was composed of the following citizens: P.O. Roberts, M.C. Roberts, J.W. Wright, Tom Benson, W. J. Sweet, J.B. Jones, J.E. Austin, J. Y Anderson, G. W. Johnson, D. E. Christopher, W. F. Blankenship, J.B. Essary.
It will be remembered that in the month of January, last, following a domestic difficulty, in which it was charged and has been sustained in the trial, that Henry Rogers criminally mistreated his wife, the deplorable happening ended in the complete disappearance of the 18 months old girl baby of Rogers and wife, of whose fate has not a word since been heard. There were two indictments against Rogers, he was tried on the first, the second accuses him of the murder of the baby and on that indictment will be tried at a special term of the court on the 8th of July. In the trial which ended last Friday and resulted in the conviction of Rogers, not a witness was introduced in defense of the defendant, he did not go on the witness stand himself and application for new trial or appeal to the Supreme court has not been made. Rogers and wife have had two divorce suits in the Chancery court, the second being terminated by the parties going back to live together just before the October, 1912, court in this county. After going back together, Rogers and wife took up their residence about 8 miles north of Lexington, where the tragic disappearance of the child occurred.