Pioneer Families
of Henderson County TN


From the Lexington Library
Anson North Carolina History

Presented for those of you who belong the Austins Family of Tennessee

Before The Revolutionary War, the Irish-born James Austin (1764-1849) came to America with his parents, Charles and Mary Austin, and their several children.

James Austin (1764-1849) married Frances (Fannie) Snipes of Wake County, North Caro­lina. They moved to Anson County and settled on Richardson Creek and became the parents of several children; the second child was Berry (1796-), who was the father of Mary A. Austin (1823-1858).

Mary A. Austin was the first wife of Andrew (Andy) Moore (18201886), who was the son of Elijah (1788-1847) and Jane Simpson Moore. (We have been unable to trace our Moore Lin­eage before Elijah Moore.)

The Andrew Moores were the parents of fif­teen children: William M., Jane, Susan Adaline, Alexander, Benjamin Franklin, Laurence Troy, Saphari Emmaline, Elizabeth Salina, Margaret Lucinda, James (Jim) Andrew, Cyrene, John Ellison, Joseph Thomas (Tom), Henry, and Mary Ann (Molly). The fifth child was Benjamin Franklin Moore (1847-1918) who married Mary Jane Grif­fin (1850-1920).

Benjamin Franklin Moore and Mary Jane Griffin Moore became the parents of thirteen children: Sarah Emma (Sally), Susan Lucinda, Frances (Fan) Elizabeth, Julia Josephine, An­drew Wilson, Milton Franklin ("F"), Kindley Cleve­land (Cleve), Mary Jane, Annie May, Lillian Blake, Flora Ella, James (Jim) Henry, and Dewey Lee; the seventh child was Kindley Cleveland (Cleve) Moore (1884-1956), my Father. My Dad was a man of great integrity, and his word was his bond.

Kindley Cleveland (Cleve) Moore (1884-1956) married Zilphia Ellen Thomas (1890-1977) the daughter of Cornelius (Neal) Whitfield Tho­mas (1852-1925) and Sorhronia Alice Pierce (1865-1928). The Cleve Moores became the parents of eight children: Marcus Jap (1917-1991), William Emmett (1919-1989), Margie Louise (1921-1992), Georgie Neil (1923-), Mary Elizabeth (1927- ), Frances Jane (1929-1933), Opal Garrell (1933/died 3 mo.), and EllieSue (1936-).

My husband, Earl Schutz, and I live in Bedford, Texas, near our daughters, Katherine (Kitty) Ellen Bern/man and Barbara Jo Wells. Earl and I celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniver­sary on November 20,1993. We married when he was a paratroorer during World War II. When the War had ended, Earl, our little daughter, Katherine (Kitty), and I made our home for a while in Webster Groves, Missouri.

Katherine Ellen (Kitty) Berryman, our first child, and her daughter, Anne Berryman, live in Bedford, Texas. Kitty's son, Bradley (Brad) Patton Berryman, has graduated from college and works in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Barbara Jo Wells, our second daughter, lives in Bedford, Texas. She is the mother of twin daughters, Kathy Jo and Jennifer Lynn Wells, who are students a Stephen F. Austin Univer­sity.

Our youngest daughter, Karen Sue Fehlberg, is a housewife. Her husband, Paul Fehlberg, is a Professional Artist. They have three lovely children: Dawn Gissendanner, Jeremiah Heiser, and Joy Fehlberg. They reside in Manti, Utah.

Submitted by: Georgia Neil Moore Schutz, 917 Shady Creek Lane, Bedford, Texas 76021 References: "Griffin Family History" by Fred M. Griffin, Raymond C. Griffin, and Lee Griffin; "Moore Family History" by Kate Davis Moore and James H. Moore; "Baucom Footrrints in Carolina' by Margie Williams Moore; Lois Moore Yandle Notes; "William Austin FamilyReunion" Newspaper Article; Sue Patton; Family Knowledge; Tombstones.

Bogan Brooks Austin

Bogan Brooks Austin 1893-1980, married Sarah Christine McRae, 1894-1959, in Febru­ary 1921. The ceremony was performed in the McRae home. They moved into what was called the "Lee House." It had been built by a Dr. Lee, who was among the first doctors to practice in this area. For all of their lives they lived in this house, and their two surviving children live in it today. They were parents of four children: Rowena, 1922; William M., 1925; Cora Estelle, 1930-1990; James Thomas, 1937-1937. We pay tribute to our parents; we honor them, we chreish them and their memory will always live in our hearts! They were frugal people, hardworking people, God-fearing people. They were substan­tial citizens of White Store Township. We are proud of them!

James Pernay Austin (1915-1972), second child of Jodie Marshall and Lula Ann Sinclair, married Ellen Mabel Stegall (1914-1980) on Feb­ruary 21, 1937, at her parents' home in north­eastern Union County. Their close friends, Boyce and Mildred Carpenter, and her sister in law, Mrs. Clyde Stegall were witnesses to the event. They ate their first wedded meal at the home of James' parents. Ellen was 24 when she married and the last in a family of 10 children. Her father, William Thomas Stegall (mother, Lillie Belle Hasty), spilled his cup of coffee at the breakfast table when she announced the engagement.

James and Ellen purchased land in Anson County at the site of the Deep Springs School. The stone columns at the edge of the front yard remained for many years despite increasingly heavy traffic until one and then the other, fell vic­tim to traffic accidents. James and Ellen were very much in love and worked side-by-side in the fields.

James was happy with just the two of them, but Ellen wanted children. They were delighted four years later when their first child, a son was bom in 1941. They named him Mert Stegall Aus­tin and from the age of five, Mert helped his Dad with farming chores. They added a child about every two years until they had five (three sons and two daughters: Nina Delores Austin (1944);

Rose Marie Austin (1946); James Hal Austin (1949); Larry Lee Austin bom on Ellen's birth­day in 1952— and named by his sister, Delores.

In addition to farming, James and Ellen es­tablished "Austin's Grocery and Gas Station" -what became a very busy country store—next to their home on the former school property. He also sold fertilizer, invested in some expensive farm machinery and began to hire himself out to other farmers to harvest their grain on his new "self-propelled combine." He raised hogs and beef cattle in addition to grains and cotton. The children had to chop and pick the cotton and Delores remembers begging her Dad to cease from planting cotton when she was about 12. He never planted any more cotton.

The family attended Deep Springs Baptist Church, where James' family were members, and became very active. When a fire destroyed the home of Vance and Ola Austin, much of the timber the church used to help rebuild the home came from James and Ellen's land.

The family took trips to the NC coast on oc­casion. Sometimes the Tommy Griffin family would go with them, sometimes another family would go. When the Tommy Griffin family went, the children loved for "Mr. Tommy" to ride in the back of the pickup truck with them, playing games with them as they rode.

In 1952 James and Ellen took their family to Washington state in August to see his brother, Max and his wife, JoEllen. Max was in the Air Force and their daughter, Teresa, had just been born. Larry was just a few months old and had to be left behind with James' sister, Jean Sheppard and her husband, Elgie. The cost of staying in hotels was too expensive, so when they grew tired, they pulled off the highway and the family slept in the car. Max and JoEllen took their guests to see the huge Grand Cpolee Dam in Washing­ton state. They also visited a park where they saw a roller coaster for the first time. Max and JoEllen told them the "best ride" was at the back, so unsuspectingly they climbed into the last car and took off for the ride of their lives! Everyone was hysterical with laughter at the end of the ride, and were teasing Ellen for her having screamed, "I'm going to lose my new teeth!" (She had just had new false teeth made.)

On a couple of occasions, they also took the family to Florida where a coconut in the hull was brought back and for years it was used as a door­stop in James and Ellen's home. (It did however, have a hammered in place where Delores tried to crack the hull—to no avail.)

Ellen wanted to build a larger home for their family, but James' desire was to postpone build­ing a home in order to help the community out by storing grain in metal bins and invested in four grain bins and other equipment to weigh truck-loads of grain. Some of the details did not work out and the investment failed, taking with it the hope for a new home. James experienced deep depression from which he never recovered.

Rearing five children on a farm exacted some accidents. All the children were bom at home except Larry, who was born at the Ellen

Fitzgerald Hospital in Monroe. When Marie was bom, she was blue because the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck. James' mother, Lula, was assisting in the birthing and probably saved her life by quickly removing the cord from around her neck. The doctor checked her out later, and she was fine though she had a pur­plish mark on her forehead for a number of years. Mert broke his arm trying to hand crank a tractor and broke it a second time, jumping off a pickup in the church yard. Larry hurt his leg when he fell from a tractor when he was eight and had to wear a leg brace and use crutches for several years (He was diagnosed as having leg prethese disease and was treated by Miller Clinic in Char­lotte). Hal's eye was injured when a tractor tire blew up, hitting him in the eye. He had to be hos­pitalized at Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.

Delores was burned on both her forearms when she fell on a wood heater in the store at the age of five. The bread man, Mr. Kelly, was just arriving and helped take care of the child who had second and third degree bums. She was taken to see Dr. Bolt in Marshville. His nurse, Adelaide Stegall Hill, was Ellen's niece. Delores was burned again-worse this time. On a cold January Saturday morning in 1961 when she was 14, she backed up to the open fireplace and the long chenille housecoat and flannel pajamas caught fire. She was hospitalized at Monroe with second and third degree bums over the lower half of her body. It was May 7 before she got to come home.

James died of a stroke and subsequent heart attack at the age of 57. Ellen retired at age 62 and died suddenly at her home at the age of 66. Before her death she was grateful to have trav­eled to the Holy Land where her Lord and Savior had walked.
Submitted by Delores Thomas, R-1, Box 134, Peachland, NC 28133

Back Home