THE AUSTIN FAMILY

Of Henderson County TN



Austin Cemetery Listings

Cedar Grove Cemetery
Alexander, Gracie Austin, 1902-1940
Austin, Albert W., Aug. 26, 1869-Sept. 5, 1876, "Son of T. & F. L. Austin"
Austin, Allie Goff, Jan. 25, 1897-Nov. 3, 1989
Austin, Buford, May 11, 1935, "Jr." "Son of Buford & Zula Austin" [replacement]
Austin, Clarry, June 9, 1901-Aug. 28, 1905, "Dau. of W. L. & Addie Austin" (eroded)
Austin, Carolyn Ann, 1948 [probably child of Opal M. & Wm. Paul Austin, whose double marker is in the same row]
Austin, Chessie A. (Chess), Oct. 23, 1897-July 26, 1973
Austin, E. A., Jan. 22, 1871-Apr. 27, 1937 [Woodmen of the World memorial]
Austin, E. E., 1874-1956
Austin, Edna [see Allen, Edna Austin]
Austin, Elijah, Apr. 19, 1837-June 6, 1908, "Husband of Miriam Austin"
Austin, Elisha, July 11, 1839-July 21, 1871 [the marker just north of this one is broken and lying face down]
Austin, Elizabeth, Aug. 25, 1841-Jan. 23, 1870 (broken)
Austin, Elizabeth, Jan. 22, 1871-Apr. 12, 1937 [Woodmen of the World memorial]
Austin, Ettie May, Feb. 2, 1882-Nov. 5, 1938, "Wife of E. A. Auston"
Austin, Flora Ann, July 24, 1947-____, footstone with "Beloved Wife"
Austin, Gracie [see Alexander, Gracie Austin]
Austin, Herbert W., 1906-1994
Austin, Homer F., Feb. 16, 1896-Oct. 9, 1955, "Father"
Austin, Iona Mae, 1920-1982
Austin, Infant, Feb. 1904, "Infant son of E. A. & E. M. Austin"
Austin, Terry Ray, Mar. 2, 1946-Feb. 9, 1991, footstone with "Father of Brad Andrea Amanda"; "Wed Jun. 5, 1981"

Corinth Cemetery
Austin, Berdie M., June 25, 1926-Feb. 17, 1992
Austin, Charles M., Oct. 7, 1933-Nov. 11, 1993, "Father" footstone, "Our daughter Lynn Renee"
Austin, Jewel E., Nov. 8, 1931-Oct. 2, 2000
Austin, L. B., Nov. 27, 1927-May 31, 1989

Doe Creek Cemetery
Austin, Callie M., 1877-1858, "Mother" footstone
Austin, G. W., Sept. 7, 1843-Dec. 26, 1926, "Husband" "Father"
Austin, H. A., 1862-May 11, 1939
Austin, Jerry E., 1873-1943, "Father" footstone
Marthie, May 11, 1864-____ (homemade) [etched onto a piece of green tile or slate, 2 yards and two graves north of double marker for Callie M. and Jerry E. Austin]
Austin, Ollie F. [see Medlin, Ollie F.]

Ebenezer Cemetery
Austin, Bill Cleveland, Aug. 29, 1887-Nov. 21, 1888, "Son of J. A. & Winny Austin"
Austin, Infant, born & died June 17, 1884, "Infant dau. of J. A. & Winny Austin" (eroded)

Flat Creek Cemetery
Austin, Mary Josephine, July 30, 1871-Sept. 15, 1878, "Dau. of Simeon & Winnie Austin"

Friendship Cemetery
Austin, Lourena, Jan. 25, 1871-Sept. 20, 1872

Judson Cemetery
Austin, Arvin Allen, Oct. 23, 1942-Dec. 8, 1999
Austin, G. R., 1870-1949
Austin, Maude Moody, 1894-1936, "Mother" footstone
Austin, Merville, Feb. 16, 1919-Oct. 29, 1995 "Our children Brenda Allan David Ronnie Judy Redonna Mark Fonda Barney Leanne" [I had trouble interpreting this - children could be Brenda Redonna/Allan Mark/David Fonda/Ronnie Barney/Judy Leanne]
Austin, Raymelle, Nov. 10, 1924-____

Lexington Cemetery
Austin, Dorothy A., Sept. 15, 1915-Mar. 12, 1996 [adjacent to marker for Lon S. Austin; from temporary marker recorded in 1996, Dorothy Alene Austin (West)
Austin, Ella Holland, 1870-1956 [adjacent to marker for Jones A. Austin] (East-Central)
Austin, Grapel E., July 5, 1923-Nov. 21, 1997
Austin, Henry Miller, Sept. 23, 1928-July 18, 1977 (West)
Austin, Herman Bedford, Feb. 12, 1898-Apr. 6, 1999, also military marker "US Army World War I" (East-Central)
Austin, Hermia, 1938, "Infant daughter of H. B. & Marguerite" [replacement] (East-Central)
Austin, Jewel Mary, July 17, 1900-Apr. 27, 1989 (East-Central)
Austin, Jones A., 1859-1941 (East-Central)
Austin, K. D., July 16, 1917-May 10, 1985, "Wed July 5, 1937" (Northeast)
Austin, Lon S., 1885-1950 (West)
Austin, Maggie [see Johnson, Maggie Austin] (West)
Austin, Marguerite Haggard, Dec. 24, 1903-Mar. 7, 1981 [adjacent to marker for Herman Bedford Austin] (East-Central)
Austin, Mary V., Apr. 22, 1925-Sept. 21, 1986 [adjacent to marker for Henry Miller Austin] (West)
Austin, Ode Henry, Mar. 21, 1891-Sept. 21, 1958 (West)
Austin, Roger Dale, July 2, 1949-July 28, 1974 [probably son of Grapel E. and K. D. Austin, whose double marker is adjacent] (Northeast)
Austin, Una [see Bobbitt, Una Austin] (East-Central)
Austin, Wadie Miller, Aug. 31, 1891-Jan. 26, 1956 [adjacent to marker for Ode Henry Austin] (West)
Johnson, Maggie Austin, 1895-1970 [adjacent to marker for Henry Martin Johnson] (West)

Little Huricane Cemetery
Austin, Elizabeth, Jan. 1, 1834-Oct. 24, 1917, "Wife of J. C. Austin"
Austin, J. C., Jan. 1, 1833-June 16, 1910, "Husband of Elizabeth Austin"
Austin, Jennie Elizabeth, Mar. 6, 1859-Feb. 10, 1924

Nebo Cemetery
Austin, Luaaron L., Nov. 28, 1912-Nov. 10, 1948 (fallen)
Austin, Minnie Ollie, 1890-Feb. 26, 1932, "Mother" footstone
Austin, Robert Beal, Feb. 13, 1878-Nov. 10, 1936, "Father" footstone [replacement]

Sardis Cemetery
Austin, Alton, Mar. 8, 1894-Dec. 10, 1928, "Husband" "Father" [Woodmen of the World Memorial]
Austin, Clyde Holland, Sept. 24, 1918-June 30, 1964, military marker "Tennessee Pvt Btry B 5 FA Tng Regt"
Austin, H. Glenn, Sept. 13, 1918-Oct. 5, 1919 "Son of L. L. & N. A. Austin"
Austin, Minnie [see Mooney, Minnie Austin]
Austin, Nancy, Apr. 8, 1873-May 12, 1927, "Wife of Will Austin" "Mother" [adjacent to marker for William Austin]
Austin, William, Feb. 29, 1869-____
Mooney, Minnie Austin, Sept. 9, 1896-Aug. 9, 1969, "Wife of Sylvester Mooney" [probably daughter of Nancy Austin and William Austin, whose markers are adjacent]

Union Hill Cemetery
Austin, Doskie, Nov. 7, 1909-Feb. 12, 2003, "Father" footstone
Austin, Eathel, Dec. 24, 1909-May 13, 1999, "Mother" footstone, "Wed Dec. 6, 1936" "Our children Billy Wayne/Sarah Helen/Tommie Ellen"
Austin, James B., Mar. 4, 1923-Jan. 24, 1981, military marker as footstone "Cpl US Army World War II" to which has been added "106 Div."
Austin, Lucille, Jan. 23, 1926-____, unplaced "Mother" footstone
Austin, Robbie P., 1936-____
Austin, Roy S., 1927-1992

United Methodist Scotts Hill
Austin Note: The graves for Carl A. Austin, Jessie D. Austin, John F. Austin, Myrtie E. Austin, Sue Ellen Austin, Wm. Vester Austin are grouped together within a low concrete border.
Austin, A. F., Oct. 5, 1853-____
Austin, Carl A., 1880-1928, "Father" footstone
Austin, Carrie Goff, 1889-1972 [adjacent to marker for Lon S. Austin] (West)
Austin, Charles Victor, Nov. 28, 1954-Dec. 19, 1955
Austin, Cynthia C., Mar. 23, 1867-Dec. 13, 1945
Austin, E. H., Feb. 24, 1820-Nov. 6, 1888 [Masonic symbol, Odd Fellows symbol]
Austin, Ephriam H., 1820-1888
Austin, Ethel E., Apr. 19, 1880-June 17, 1881, "Dau. of J. J. & M. S. Austin"
Austin, Gladys, Jan. 19, 1900-Aug. 9, 1900, "Dau. of H. W. & Cora Austin" (eroded) [relational information unreadable in 1992; from UDC transcription]
Austin, Gladys, 1908-____, "Mother"
Austin, Harry L., 1904-1982
Austin, Helen Faye, Mar. 12, 1929-Jan. 8, 1931 [replacement]
Austin, Ima Jean, Feb. 16, 1929-Feb. 26, 1944
Austin, Infant, May 22, 1927-May 23, 1927, "Infant dau. of F. M. & Mamie Austin"
Austin, Infant, June 23, 1926, "Infant son of Rubel & Emma Austin" [replacement]
Austin, J. D., Nov. 6, 1923-May 10, 1985, military marker "US Army"
Austin, James M., Feb. 27, 1862-May 5, 1929 [Masonic symbol; Woodmen of the World symbol]
Austin, Jessie D., d. Jan. 14, 1943, military marker "Tennessee Horseshoer 114 Field Arty 30th Div"
Austin, John F., Jan. 29, 1855-June 2, 1915 [Masonic symbol]
Austin, John H., Nov. 10, 1891-Feb. 27, 1958, "Brother" footstone
Austin, John J., Sept. 3, 1845-May 25, 1917, "Father"; military marker as footstone "John James Austin" "Pvt Co F 19 Tenn Cav Confederate States Army"
Austin, Lily M., Oct. 5, 1881-Oct. 6, 1881, "Dau. of J. J. & M. S. Austin"
Austin, Lucy Ann, 1824-1904 [replacement]
Austin, M. E., Jan. 22, 1855-Jan. 9, 1901, "Wife of A. F. Austin"
Auston, Mahala, Oct. 7, 1849-May 29, 1923
Austin, Mary L., May 12, 1852-Sept. 16, 1935, "Mother"
Austin, Maxine, Dec. 21, 1921-Jan. 8, 1926, "Dau. of F. M. & Mamie Austin"
Austin, Minnie Anglin, Jan. 29, 1885-June 29, 1977 [adjacent to marker for Wilfred Jack Austin]
Austin, Myrtie E., 1890-1974, "Mother" footstone
Austin, Nina Sue, 1907-1997 [adjacent to marker for Theo. F. Austin]
Austin, P. E., Aug. 15, 1878-June 11, 1917, "Son" footstone [probably son of John F. and sue Ellen Austin, whose graves are adjacent]
Austin, Pearl [see Scott, Pearl Austin]
Austin, Perry B., 1890-1977, military marker as footstone "Pvt US Army World War I"; "Married Sept. 1, 1913
Austin, Sue Ellen, Apr. 7, 1858-June 7, 1915, "Mother" footstone [Eastern Star symbol]
Austin, Theo. F., 1904-1992
Austin, Vealy S., 1896-1979, "Mom" footstone"
Austin, Wilfred Jack, Feb. 20, 1905-Mar. 12, 1997 [Masonic symbol]
Austin, Wm. Vester, 1881-1975 [Webb and Adcox noted that he died Sept. 2, 1975, "Aged 93 yrs., 10 mos., 8 das."]
Scott, Pearl Austin, Jan. 16, 1897-Oct. 27, 1986



Henry Alfred Austin s/o Silas and Martha (Duck) Austin 02 Sep 1862 - 11 May 1939
Buried at Doe Creek Cem. - Certificates contributed by Chuck Gibson


Jeremiah Elias Austin s/o Silas and Martha (Duck) Austin 1 March 1873 - 15 Jun 1947
Buried at Doe Creek Cemetery - Certificates contributed by Chuck Gibson

Henderson Co Guardian (Bond) Records 1861-1892
By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Buried at Doe Creek Cemetery

14. ELLEN, JOHN F., ULYSES, WILLIAM KENT: WILLIAM A. KENT: JAMES F. McKENZIE. October 7, 1861.
ELISHA, ELIZABETH, TIMOTHY, REBECCA, MARY, MARTHA AUSTIN: JAMES AUSTIN: JAMES F. McKENZIE. October 7, 1861.

22. AMECY MILLINER, lunatic: EPHRAIN H. AUSTIN, guardian. July T, 1862.
Lower portion left blank.

PG 11
81. JAMES W., JOHN C., MARY C., ROBERT A. LEWIS: ROBERT A. LEWIS: ELIZABETH LEWIS. May 3, 1869.
ADAM POWERS: WILLIS POWERS: P. W. AUSTIN. May 3, 1869.

PG 14
139. LUCINDA, FRANKLIN, JANE, P. W. DUCK: JESSEE DUCK: J. J. AUSTIN. March 3, 1873.
JOHN W. KIRK: WILLIAM A. KIRK: JOHN C. TRICE. April 7, 1873.

154. ELISHA, NANCY, MARIAH KIEENE: JAMES T. KEENE: MILES WALLACE. September 1, 1873.
ADAM POWERS: WILLIS POWERS: P. E. AUSTIN. September 15, 1874.

PG 15
175. HENRY C. AUSTIN, ALVIS J. AUSTN: S. A. AUSTIN: MARY H. AUSTIN. February 7, 1876.
FREDERICK S. WILLIAMS: STEPHEN WILLIAMS: S. T. WILLIAMS. February 10, 1876.

PG 16
177. MARY T., LARCENY L., MARTHA F., SAMUEL G., RACHEL E., ELIZABETH S., LOIZA J. McADAMS:
LOUIZA J. McADAMS: SAMUEL McADAMS. March 6, 1876.
MARY, JAMES BEECHAM: MARY BEECHAM: A. F. AUSTIN. March 6, 1876.

181. W. A., A. H. RALPH: A. H. RALPH: J. S. McCRAW. September 4, 1876.
JAMES W., MARTHA J. BEECHAM: ZACHARIAH BEECHAM: A. F. AUSTIN. October 3, 1876.

PG 17
200. J. F. WATSON: JOHN WATSON: B. S. PRITCHARD. March 4, 1878.
HENRY C., JAMES A. AL~XN: ALVIS AU~TIJ: MARY J. AUSTIN, Mar. 4, 1878.

PG 19
247. JAMES W., MARTHA J. BEECHUM: ZACARIAH BEECHUM: A. F. AUSTIN. September 6, 1880.
SALLIE L., DAVID W., SUSAN HODGEN: D. M. HODGEN: G. W. BEECHTJM. September 6, 1880.

PG 20
276. LIZZIE, SUSAN, AZALEE ADAMS: JASPER ADAMS: Z. B. BALLARD. December 5, 1881.
THOMAS, CORA, CLAUDIE SMITH: W. H. SMITH: M. J. AUSTIN. December 5, 1881.

22
300. THOMAS, CORA, CLAUDIE SMITH: EMILY SMITH: M. J. AUSTIN. December 4, 1882.
E. D., W. P., J. A. MITCHELL: RICHARD ROBINSON: E. D. FLOYD. December 4, 1882.
307. JOHN H. POWERS: JOHN POWERS: JOHN REED. March 14, 1883.
THOMAS, CORA, CLAUDIE SMITH: EMILY SMITH: H. C. AUSTIN. April 2, 1883.

PG 29
433. WILLIS CHUMNEY, lunatic; guardian, R. J. DYER. August 4, 1890."Settled'
T. M. AUSTIN, a minor: L. J. AUSTIN, guardian. August 14, 1890.

Henderson Co - Scotts Hill
The Austin Family - Leaves their mark
By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith

Scotts Hill, a town of about 250 inhabitants fourteen miles southeast of Lexington and near the Decatur County line, is a thriving little town. It has some twelve or fifteen places of business, a post office, one gin, one bank, one hotel, three churches, and a good high school. It also has a number of blacksmith shops, grist mills, and garages, and is supplied with electric lights.

Scotts Hill was first settled in 1825 by Cager M. Scott from North Carolina in whose honor the town was named.

Among his early neighbors were Ralph Holms, Joe Clenney, Buck Murphy, J. H. McKenzie, Dr. Win. Brigance, Luther Helms, Ephram Austin, and others.

The Lexington-Clifton Road ran through the town and was the first road opened up through that section of the County. It was also known as the Stage Road because many stage coaches traveled it. Just when the first stage coach came through Scotts Hill no one knows, but it must have been very early. The last one passed through in 1870.

With the introduction of the stage coach came the post office service. The coaches carried both passengers and mail. When the coach would stop, the passengers would alight and stroll over town until the postmaster could sort out the mail. When the coach was ready to go, the driver would sound a horn or ring a bell for the passengers to assemble.

Mr. Ephram Austin was perhaps the first postmaster. He would ring a bell or blow a horn also when the mail, which consisted chiefly of letters, circulars, and a few newspapers, was ready to be delivered. The people would gather around the postoffice, which was then a compartment of Austins store, for any mail that might be called out for them. The mail was delivered directly from the lot as it was gone through.

The postmasters following Ephram Austin were John and Henry Austin, Ephrams sons, W. A. Helms, J. T. Bagby, Henry Miller, A. L. Goff, S. R. Hefley, J. W. Patterson, J. N. Tucker, and W. A. Austin, who is the postmaster at present.

The mail carriers on the rural routes from Scotts Hill have been John Fanning, Henry Davenport, Elbert Butler, Sam Walton, Ben Deere, Coy Johnson, and Iley Austin.

Cager Scott opened the first store in the town. Following him came Ephram Austin. After Ephram his two sons, John and Henry Austin, continued the business. J. E. Austin, a grand-son of Ephram, ran the same business until about 1926, when he left the town. His son M. C. Austin, however, is still in business.

Ephram Austin built the first grist mill in Scotts Hill about 1860. It was a water mill and of the "over-shot" type. He built the first cotton gin also. This gin was operated by horse power and was able to gin about three bales a day or about 100 bales a year.

The gins that followed were a gradual improvement, each over its predecessor. John S. Pratt owns and operates the present one. It is strictly modern and has a capacity for ginning thirty or more bales per day. It gins on an average 1200-1500 bales a year.

About 1880 a Mr. Rilie opened a hotel and feed stable and had a good business for a long time. Since then the following have owned hotels; J. S. Turner, George Davis, Mary White, Elsie Austin, and Ellar Mitchell, who still owns the hotel.

Scotts Hill has had a few livery stables, but they soon gave way to the automobiles and garages. The owner of the first automobile in Scotts Hill was J. A. McClenahan. Next Dr. Keeton and Dr. Wylie bought one and then J. M. Brasher.

In 1908 the people in and around Scotts Hill organized the Peoples Telephone Company. They hoped at first to connect with the Commercial Company then operating an exchange in town, but satisfactory terms could not be reached. So a mutual company was organized, the Peoples Telephone Company. This company serves a wide section of both Henderson and Decatur Counties. One of the most diligent supporters of this enterprise was P. W. Holms.

The Company now has about 325 subscribers, an office well equipped with switchboards and other necessities, and contracts with other telephone companies granting it free service. This company operates at a reasonable cost (25 cents per month for each subscriber) and gives excellent service.

The Farmers State Bank of Scotts Hill was chartered November 20, 1906. It has a capital stock of $10,000, a surplus of $8,000.00, and resources (October 1929) of $175,000.00. On October 14, 1929 it took in $22,000 as deposits. It has had only one small loss during its entire existence, $1,000 in the Citizens Bank when it burst.

The Church of Christ was set in order in 1877. Mr. B. F. Austin was the first Elder, Jesse Helms and Frances Austin were the first Deacons, J. S. Turner is one of the first members yet living in Scotts Hill.

Years later the Methodist Episcopal Church South was established in the west part of town. It is now the head church of the Scotts Hill Circuit.

The Pentecostal Church was established only recently. It, however, is in Decatur County.

About 1880 a log schoolhouse was erected, in which Ras Tucker taught the first school. In 1894 B. A. Tucker, one of the outstanding teachers of his time in the whole vicinity, came to Scotts Hill and opened what would now be called a high school. His success as a teacher was shown in the school he built up and in the success in life of his pupils as preachers, educators, doctors, and lawyers. He made Scotts Hill the center of educational activities for a time.

After his influence died away, the school dwindled down. Immediately after the World War, however, Ira C. Powers, a conscientious and diligent school worker came to the town and attempted to improve the school. His first year there was marked with hard work and a constant fight with the two counties to induce them to support the school. He had only three high school pupils the first year, but by the end of six years he had established a good junior high school.

In 1926 a new building was erected of concrete blocks. In 1927 P. H. Murphy was elected principal of the school. Through the effort of him, Mr. Powers, and the other teachers the school has grown considerably. Mr. Murphy is a thoroughly competent teacher and a wonderful booster. The school is now a four-year high school with modern equipment and an enrollment of 115 high school students.

On May 17, 1916 a tornado swept through the east end of town and destroyed four dwellings and damaged many others. On the sixteenth night of October of the same year a mighty fire destroyed the entire business section. The fire originated in the store of J. M. Brasher and swept clean the entire business section. Not a store was left. Twelve stores, the barber shop, the I. 0. 0. F. Hall, a blacksmith shop, the cotton gin, the post office, the bank, the hotel, and four residences, were consumed in the flames.

The town was completely destroyed, but that which makes towns was left -- the sturdy and unconquerable inhabitants, who have built it back more beautiful and more substantial than before.

SETTLEMENT OF INSOLVENT
ESTATES, 1867-1896
Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith

PG 46 -- 16-18. BURILL H. DUCK, dec. F. M. AUSTIN, administrator. January 27, 1869.

PG 47 -- 109. PLEASANT AUSTIN, dec. E. H. AUSTIN, administrator. March 14, 1878.

PG 48 -- 150-153. HARDEN B. LARUE, dec. F. M. AUSTIN, administrator. January 8, 1880. JOHN W. LARUE also given as administrator.

PG 50 -- 235. REBECCA BEVILL, dec. G. W. PRIDDY, administrator. March 2, 1885. Includes $4.50 to J. L. AUSTIN for making coffin.

PG 50 -- 275-279. E. H. AUSTIN, dec. C. w. and H. W. AUSTIN, administrators. December 26, 1890.

PG 51 -- 298. E. A. AUSTIN, dec. C. W. and H. A. AUSTIN, administrators. February 5, 1892.

PG 51 -- 359. E. H. AUSTIN, dec. C. W. and H. W. AUSTIN, administrators. April 1895.

FEDERAL DIRECT LAND TAX 1865
Civil District 13 Pg 40

Owner -- Acreage -- Value of Land $
ATLAS AUSTIN 110 164
SIMON AUSTIN 147 408
JEREXIAB (Jeremiah) AUSTIN HEIRS 128 612
CHARLES AUSTIN 654 2040
EPHRAIM AUSTIN & Co. 176 1030
JAMES AUSTIN HEIRS 792 2040
ALFRED C. AUSTIN 132 612
PLEASANT AUSTIN 133 612

INDEX FOR CHANCERY COURT MINUTE
BOOK 7, MAR. 1880 - SEPT. 1882
Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith

AUSTIN, F. M. and others v WILLIS DEER and others, 126, 127, 417

AUSTIN, H. C. and others v J. M. MCKINZIE 2, 242, 364, 365, 451, 535, 536

AUSTIN, L. J. v JOHN LASSITER 526, 527

Austin, Lon Saunders (1885-1950)
HOUSE, 69th, 70th, 71st, 73rd, 74th, and 75th General Assemblies, 1935-41, 1943-49; representing Henderson and Madison counties; Democrat. Born at Scotts Hill, Henderson County, Sept. 15, 1885; son of Jones Alvin and Winnie (Scott) Austin. Attended schools at Scotts Hill and at Sardis, Henderson County; later attended a cotton school at Memphis, Shelby County. Married at Scotts Hill, June 8, 1908, to Carrie Goff, native of Saltillo, Hardin County, daughter of Albert Lewis and Elizabeth (Faning) Goff; three daughters--Lorraine, Dorothy, and Cathleen. Taught school in early years in Perry County and in Mississippi; became a cotton merchant at Lexington, Henderson County. Sometime member county court; served a short while as safety director for West Tennessee, with headquarters at Memphis. Member Methodist Episcopal Church; Free and Accepted Masons. Died at Lexington Oct. 14, 1950; buried in Lexington Cemetery.
Sources: Information supplied by wife, Mrs. Lon S. Austin and by daughter, Mrs. John W. Hinson, both of Lexington; Lexington Progress, July 6, 1928; Aug. 9, 1935; Dec. 20, 1935; Jan. 6, 1939; May 30, 1941; Mar. 9, 1945; Oct. 6, 1950; Tenn. Vital Statistics, Death Certificate 22402.

Back Home