Pioneer Families
of Henderson County TN


TIMBERLAKE - HUTCHINGS - SMALL



E. J. Timberlake

My father, E. J. Timberlake, was the son of Richard Timberlake and Tabitha Trice, both born in North Carolina. Richard Timberlake married first Polly Neal, 1816, in North Carolina, In 1826 or 27 they moved to Tennessee and settled a place three miles north of Lexington and about one half mile west of the original road between Lexington and Huntingdon and one half mile west of Timberlake family burial place. They had three children, Louisa (Orton), Mary (Howard) and a boy who died young. His wife Mary died 1833 and in 1834 he married Tabitha Trice, daughter of Harrison and Gillie Trice, who had come from Orange County, North Carolina and settled a place on the Lexington and Huntingdon road a short distance from what was later the Timberlake burial place. Both Harrison and Gillie are buried in So-West corner of walled grave yard with sand stone markers at their graves. D.A.R. Marker at Gillie's grave.

Edward was their third son, born 1843 at the home place. In 1851 or 53, he attended, from home, what was then known as the Lexington Academy, a good school and splendid building located back of the W. H. Warren place. Later the building was sold to the Presbyterian Church and kept up till the Civil War. In 1856-57 he attended school at what was known as Cross Roads Academy located near Parker' s Cross Roads. This school founded about 1835, was taught by a fine scholar, Algernon Sayles, and was known in all surrounding counties as an excellent school. Young men from Madison, Carroll, Henry and other Counties attended. While attending Cross Roads Academy, Edward Timberlake boarded in the home of the most aristocratic family in all the country, Dr. Williams, wealthy with land and slaves and horses and carriages, and the first piano in that section,

Louisa Hutchings Small attended this school at the same time boarded at Dr. John Parkers. In this school she and Edward met and their life time romance began. Edward attended the University of North Carolina in 1858 and 1859, and obtained a fine education. He was a fine mathematician and linguist, At the age of eight was translating Caesar. Just before he received his degree at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, his father died and he was forced, to come home.

In 1862 he married Louisa Hutchings Small and settled a place four and a half miles north of Lexington which he inherited from his father. They were parents of eight children, one dying in infancy. He built the first house there in 1863. In 1868 he built the house now standing and with the exceptions of eight years lived there till his death. In 1872 he was elected Clerk of Circuit Court of Henderson County, and moved to Lexington, building a house on Huntingdon road, now known as Dr. Arnold place. In 1876 he represented Henderson County in Tennessee Legislature. For a short while he practiced law but was to conscientious to succeed at that. He loved farming and in 1880 moved back to his farm home. In 1887 or 88 when the first bank in Henderson County, Bank of' Lexington, was organized he became cashier, and so remained till the Farmers State Bank was organized about 1903 when he became President of that Bank and held that position til his death 1909. He was an active member of the Methodist Church and a devout Christian, a friend of the poor and sympathizer with the weak. He was a progressive farmer, land and forest conservationist, far ahead of his times. He owned gins and mills and was a stock raiser of some pretensions. The needy depended upon him for aid. His farm was supplied with latest labor saving machinery. At the time of Emancipation owned many slaves. He was called "Honest Ed," and was loved and respected by all who knew him. At the time of his death he was first Citizen of the County.

Louisa Hutchings Small

Louisa Hutchings Small, born 1844, was the youngest daughter of Alexander and Phoeba Wilson Small.

Alexander Small was son of Daniel Small, born 1772, and Mary Hutchings, born 1775, and daughter of Captain Thos. Hutchings. Both were born in Virginia, but were married 1797 at Nashville, Tennessee. Alexander was born in Tennessee. Phoeba Wilson was born in Granville County, North Carolina, and came with her family to Tennessee 1826 and settled near old Pleasant Exchange in Henderson County. She and Alexander Small were married in 1827 and were parents of 14 children five of whom lived to reach maturity. Others died young.

Daniel Small settled four plantations, one he sold to his neighbor and friend, Mr. Mitchell and is still known as old Mitchell place, another was the old Jimmy Douglass place, another the old Tom Stanford place; these places so called from names of men to whom he sold them, and the fourth was the Small family placet. It is not known where Daniel Small is buried. He died 1858. After his death his wife Mary Hutchings lived to her death, in 1846 with her son Alexander. She, Alexander and his wife and children are all buried at the Small family grave yard, now called the Kizer grave yard and located about three South of Wildersville, Tennessee.

Louisa Hutchings Small's early schooling was acquired at a private school taught near her home by a most excellent, well equipped teacher, Mrs. Whitt, from the East, Mrs. Whitt boarded in the Small home. In 1856 or 57 Louisa attended school taught by Algernon Sayles at Cross Roads Academy, located at Parker's Cross Roads, and boarded at home of Dr. John Parker. (Parker's Cross Roads so called on account of crossing of road running North and South from Huntingdon to Lexington, and a road east and west from Tennessee river to Jackson.) In 1859-60 she attended school at Memphis Conference Female Institute at Jackson, Tennessee, and while there boarded in the home of a wealthy former neighbor in Henderson, County, Mr. Addison Pyles. Louisa's pattern of perfection was Miss Laura the gentle cultured daughter of Mr. Pyles. Her four daughters later attended this same school. She and Edward Tiraberlake married in 1862, she being 16 years of age, and the couple had two children before the husband was 21. They were parents of 8 .children, the first dying at birth. This first child was a son, born in the home of Louisa's mother Mrs. Small, near Parker's Cross Roads on December 27, 1862. On December 31st, 1862 the battle of Parker's Cross Roads was fought. On that morning the Small family was at breakfast when an army officer rode up to the door and ordered them from the home saying battle lines were forming along side the house. Mrs, Small asked the officer for permission to pass through the lines with her family and this sick daughter. Permission was granted and her slaves carried, by hand, the bed upon which the sick woman lay through battle lines, across the woods and fields three miles to another plantation Mrs. Small owned. They could not traverse roads because they were choked with troops. The home was commandeered and used three months as a hospital for wounded, using bedding and all furnishings.

There is a quilt in the family now with blood stains on it, gotten there while the home was a hospital, Louisa suffered no ill effects from this incident. She was reared in ease. Her parents had many slaves and each daughter had her personal maid. Soon after this couple set up their home slaves were emancipated, but having been considerate and kind they were able to retain many servants who had been slaves. She and Edward lived and died in the home they settled four miles north of Lexington. Louisa was thoroughly capable of assuming any task. Having fine executive ability, when her husband died she carried on his business with great success. She was a retiring gentle spirit, yet possessed the ease and poise of a woman reared in highest social circles. She kept her house in order and was always prepared and equal to any emergency. Rich and poor, white and black, found in her a friend ready to aid and comfort.

Lawson Data - Colonial Dames
Lawson grants were in Isle of Wright County 1636

Brothers (1) Ephaphroditus, was herein 1633 (2) Rowland) and his wife (Greer). (1) Ephaphroditus died without male heirs of his body. (gson Payne)

In Virginia was Captain Thos. Lawson of the Virginia Company, whose date in Jamestown was 1610. His descendants in Norfolk. They think he came from Northumberlandshire.

Christopher and Alice Lawson were in Jamestown, 1623 (Holton, authority).

Hugh and Robert came in 1636.

Other Lawson stock holders of Virginia Company were Sir John Lawson and William Lawson Mercer.

Lawsons had land and lived in Isle-of-Wright and Nansemond Counties. There is a gap between their coming to Lower Norfolk, Nansemond and Isle-of-Wright, 1633-5 (destroyed records) and the organization of Lancaster, 1652, when the Lawsons did a lot of importing. 100 colonists can be counted in Greer County to Lawson credit. Judith Lawson's father's and Aunt's wills, her security Hugh Brent, Executor of her father, have been found. Judith's children bear family names.

Gen. James White, founder of Knoxville, born Iredell County, North Carolina, 1747, married April 14, 1770 Mary Lawson, the daughter of Hugh Lawson of North Carolina. Children were: Margaret married Col. Charles McClung.

Hugh Lawson, married 1st Elizabeth Carrick, second Mrs. Ann E. Peyton. Moses, Mrs. Isabella McNutt, Andrew, Mary McConnell, married first Francis May, 2nd Judge Jno. Overton, Cynthia, Melinda. James White served in Revolution and in State Senate

LAWSON

Mrs. Bukleys Lines

Will lost Rowland and Lettice Lawson came to America in 1635 Test. Proven 1661.
2. Rowland Jr. seal on Will married Anne 1706
2. John married Mary Kilbey intestate . married 2nd George Harwood
3. Rowland used different seal
3. Henry Lawson
3. Ephaproditus (John) Catherine wills 1722 - 1723
Catherine to rear his children
4. Sarah married William Hathaway mentioned in sister-in-laws, Ann Hathaways, will.
4. Judith Lawson married Francis Timberlake
5. Captain John Hathaway married Sarah Lawson Timberlake, daughter of Francis and Judith.

Mrs. Bulkley's Lawson work is in William and Mary Quarterly 1932 - 3.

GENEALOGY

DONALDSON/DONELSON - DAVIES - STOCKLEY


Early Data Taken from "County Court Note Book, Vol. 5, No. 1. By Mrs. Milnor Ljungstedt, Feb. 1927.

Donaldsons who came to America as early as 1716,were natives of Scotland, As early as 1312 they were granted a coat - of - arms, bearing the one word "Promtus," "Arms", registered in the office of the Lord Lyon at Edinburg, Scotland.

In 1716 John Donaldson's son, Patrick, came to America and settled in Maryland near Delaware Bay. Records identify the Donelson family and that of his wife, as of origin in Maryland and Virginia, and as persons of education and property, and of historical importance.

The first Donaldson on record on the East Coast was Patrick Donaldson/ whose wife was Jean, family name unknown. Patrick and Jean had child­ren, John married to Catherine Davis, Catherine married William Stewart, Jean married McKean; and Patrick,

First record of Patrick Donaldson in Maryland dated June 30th, 1721. Civil records in Somerset Co., Maryland, show that on July 12, 1721, Patrick,Sr., bought from James Caldwell, Jr., fifty acres of Pharsalia on South side of Kowastice Branch, consideration 1750 pounds of tobacco - 1. K. 196.

Another record shows purchase of 165 acres called "Flower Field", for 4400 pounds of tobacco.

Another record (Annapolis Wills L V- III, 455, Sept. 29, 1725- Nov. 2nd. 1725) reads "Patrick Donaldson of Stephy Parrish, Somerset Co., will signed - gave "Son John, large Bible and silver signet; two grand children, George_ &. Patrick McKean, estate left to them by father and mother; Son-in-la*^", Mr. Wm.. Stewart and wife Catherine an equal part of personal estate until they have as much as ray daughter Jean McKean, deceased, hath had. Care of grand children to wife Jean & Wm.. Stewart and his wife Catherine". Wife Jean & Vera. Stewart,Executors. Witnesses: George and Greer, Kobert Givan. Patrick died in Somerset Co., Maryland between Sept. 29, 1725 & Nov. 2nd., 1725.

There appears to have been some connection between Donaldsons and Givans - Likely they may have intermarried in Ireland,„

There are other Court records of Patrick Donaldson.

John Donaldson, (T), son of Patrick and Jean Donaldson, married Catherine Davies, daughter""of Rev. Samuel Davies of Snow Hill, Maryland, one of "Makennies young men", and pastor of one of Makennies five churches. He was one of seven members of the First Presbytery in America, as appears in Presbyterian Archives, and his name is recorded upon a Memorial Tablet in Philadelphia as one of seven Ministers comprising that Presbytery,

Capt. John Donaldson's daughter, Catherine, married Wm. Stewart of Somerset Co., Md., the most prominent man of his denomination (Presbyterian) in that section, which is now Somerset Co.

First appearance of Capt. John Donaldson, son of Patrick (except as witness to sisters will) is in a suit he brings against Roger Nicholson, Jr., for slander March 16th, 1724 The wording is quaint and the jury convicted Nicholson and awarded damages to fiery Capt. John. John Donaldson, Mariner, appears as witness in Wills of Robt Hudson and Benjamin Burton.

Donaldsons in Maryland engaged in shipping business and ran ships from Maryland to London, D.A.R. record says John Donaldson and. Catherine Davies were married at Summit Bridge, New Castle, Delaware.

Annapolis "Debt Books" X L III, 158, year 1735, Somerset County, show John Donaldson was in possession of "Beyond Expectations", 220 acres of "Chance", 100 acre and Lot #6, Snow Hill, Worcester Co. Next entry shows thats sometime in or before 1736 ( old style) Capt. John , Donaldson returned to port no more- having left as Mariner sometime in 1735,

Annapolis T.P. "X" 256 - "Catherine Davies Donaldson gives bond as administratrix of John Donaldson- James Martin, and Adam Bell of Somerset Go,, are her security, amount 160 pounds sterling, Nov.18th., 1736".

Catherine Donaldson, gentlewoman, now femme sole, buys from Abraham Smith, Somerset Co.,Maryland, for -50-L lot in Snow Hill, adjoining Pocomoke river, called "Deep Landing Lot", 17th., March 1737. She petitions before November Court 1737 old Negro called Cudjoe,so infirm & etc., and prays that he may be levy free". So ordered.

Children of John & Catherine Donaldson were John, William, Andrew, and a daughter who married a Mr, Henry.

Catherine Davies who married Capt. John Donaldson, was the daughter of Rev. Samuel Davies- Her mother perhaps, Mary, the widow of Robert Simpson before she married Davies- Mr, Davies was also a physician. From Presbyterian Historical Society, Journal Vol. IV, VI, VII-367.

Presbyterian Historical Society, article, by Joe B. Turner, states; "Rev. Samuel Davies First Pastor of Mackennie Memorial Presbyterian Church at Snow Hill, Maryland from 1684 - 1697, was a member of the First Presbytery in America and name was recorded on Memorial Tablet in First Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia".

First reference in Civil records of Somerset Co. is where Rev. Samuel Davies was mentioned as Minister.- Sept. 18th, received patent for 500 acres called "Inch". June 10th., 1687, he buys 167 acres of Wm. Round called "Mulberry Grove" for 3500 pounds of tobacco - tract now called "Grove" - Delaware records show Sarah. Davies, Gentleman,formerly of Somerset, Minister, alias Doctor, now of Lewiston, Inventories of Pennsylvania of Mary his wife's estate called "Carpenter's Enjoyment", 5500 pounds tobacco for 150 acres - 100 acres called "Bettie1 s Rest". Record Sept. 5, 1704 shows wife was Mary. May 30th, 1705 shows' Elizabeth was his wife. They convey tract for 20000 pounds tobacco on June 4th, 1705.

In 1724 Samuel Davies resumed profession of Minister, On March 1725 Phil Rust gave bond as administrator of Samuel Daviete estate, with John Donaldson and Capell King as security. Kev. Davies had one son and two daughters - Son also a Chirurgeon named Samuel - wife Hammi.

John Donaldson IT, son of John and Catherine Davies Donaldson was born in Somerset Co., Maryland 1718,

Little is found in Somerset or Accomack County of young John. Birth would have been recorded in Snow Hill Church records, but they were burned. Marriage would have been in old Presbyterian Church in Accomack or in the established Church of Parish - but all records gone. Possibly his wife Rachel Stokeley had Quaker leanings - Some Stokeleys were Quakers but records of local meetings gone.

First appearance of conveyance of land was 1747, but his mother Catherine conveys to him and sisters in 1739, In 1747 John conveyed 200 acres to Thos, Purnell- Worcester County - no wife appears, November 5th,, 1754, Donaldson conveys "Beyond Expectation" to James hound - wife Rachel releases dower. The above two transactions would indicate John & Kachel married between 1747 & 1754 or earlier than 1747. A record of 1754 shows Donaldson had house in Accomack,

Record of transaction dated July 2nd., 1756 was last record of John Donaldson II on Eastern shore, boon after this, John must have moved to Halifax Co., Va,

Alexander Stockley, father of Rachel was of age prior to 1726- when he sells one acre for use of Parishers of Accomack. Vi/hen he died July 23, 1763- his grandson Alexander Donaldson was named as one of Executors Taking into consideration record of no wife in 1747, and facts that his son was Hxecutor of Alexander Stockleys will 1763- and his son John was public Surveyor in 1773, John and Catherine must have married at least as early as 1747 - Some place date as 1738 - about right,. April 1765- John Donaldson appears in Halifax & takes oath of Justice, He was made member of a County Commission June 18th,, 1767. He automatically becomes a resident of Pittsylvania County upon erection of that county.

First Volumes of Court Orders of Pittsylvania Co., give following in­formation:- Only few orders are given, "In Court 1767, he produces a Commission from President & Masters of William & Mary College, and took usual oath as Surveyor of County - In July Court 1770 John Donelson takes oath as member of Commission, also takes oath as a Justice of Order and Terminer which places him in what might be called the "Upper Chamber" of the Justices of the County Court - In 1775 he buys of Francis Bird, both of Pittsylvania Co., for 125 i, 20000 acres north of Pigg river. Sept. 27, 1775, John Donaldson was nominated for County Lieutenant- He was later given rank of Colonel in County Malitia, November 1776 he again takes oath as Justice,

Journals of Virginia House of Burgesses show that Col. Donelson was a Burgess from Pittsylvania ( with Hugh Innes) in 1770-71-72-73-74, and Meade, in his "Old Churches and Families, states that Donelson was a Vestry man of Camden Parish, Pittsylvania, about 1773.

In February 1778, Lieutenant of County Militia, John Donelson prepares to leave Virginia by resigning his Commission as Lieut, In same year conveys to John Markham of Chesterfield Co., for 2800 pounds sterling four tracts of land- Court of Feb. 1779 orders Commission to take release of Rachel Donelson1s avower - June 17, 1779 John Donelson and wife convey to James Callaway & Jeremiah Early of Bedford, several tracts for consideration of 4000 pounds sterling - Commission is ordered to take release of Rachel's dower.

April Court of 1780 recommends certain Justices be appointed In place of John Donelson, removed from County. While in Va. John Donelson, with Washington, Jefferson, Patrick Henry & others, signed the "Address to the People of Virginia". At some period prior to 1780, John Donald­son changed spelling of his name to "Donelson". Van. Donaldson, his brother, retained the original spelling.~We find the name spelled both ways in same document.

In a list of Soldiers of Virginia Colonial Wars,compiled by the Virginia Historical Cociety, we find the -name of our John Donaldson. We also find in this list,names of Samuel Boiling, Christopher Hutchings and Jonas Lawson - We are interested in all these names. John Donelson, Sr., appeared in Tenn, at the Vvatauga settlement 1778 or 1779.

John Donelson's letter to Col. Shelby of Washington Co., Tenn., 1779, advises him of his illness and that he gives instructions to his son William Donelson, who is en route to see him. From Wisconsin Historical Society- Kings Mountain Papers - H, L, S,P. 168.

The activities of the Donelson's in the early history of Tennessee are too well known to be repeated here. After touching lightly on these activities, only family history and genealogy will be given.

In Tennessee, John Donelson on Dec. 22nd., 1779, set forth on his voyage from Fort Patrick Henry on the Holston river, to join Col.James Robertson at what is now Nashville. This perilous voyage in his boat "Adventure" accompanied by 30 other- boats carrying more than 200 people covered four months of suffering and privation. It equaled if it did not surpass the first voyage of Columbus. Donelson in open boats traversed 2000 miles on the Holston, Tennessee, Ohio & Cumberland rivers, harassed by unknown dangers; wild animals, shoals, savages, storms and disease. They landed at French Lick, which is now a part of Nashville, April 24th., 1780. In "Ramsey's Annals", one may read the Diary kept by John Donelson on this voyage. With Col. James Robertson, John Donelson took an active part in the early settlement and Social Organization of Middle Tennessee. He signed the Cumberland Compact, May 1st., 1780.

For further history of Donelson read "Ramsey's Annals of Tenn. Putnam's History of Middle Tenn.," See Mrs. E. N. Clement's "History of Pittsylvania Co., Va."

Records show John Donelson's six oldest children were born in Md. and Va., and we think, none of them was born in Tenn. The first cotton crowned in Tenn. was planted by John Donelson. Col. John Donelson took part in Indian contests in Tenn. & Ky. and some say he was killed by Indians. There is mystery connected with his death. He was in Ky., 1785 surveying lands. He was supposed to be on his way, alone, to Tennessee. Two men appeared in Nashville and reported they had found the dead body of Donaldson on the road from Ky. to Tenn., and they buried it near the road. Did the men who reported finding the body kill him? Did Indians kill him? The spot where he was buried is not known. We have recently learned that his grave "was found and a monument erected.

There is a Colonial Dairies Record on John Donelson which admits to membership in Colonial Dames Society.

Wm. Donelson, John's son, administered on estate of his father in „ Davidson Co., Tenn. Records found there, "Somerset" a negro mentioned in his will was Col. Donelson1s boy servant.

Col. John Donelson was connected with the Cherokee Treaty in 1771-represented the Virginia Colony in association !with Capt. J. Stewart, Indian Commissioner for Home Government- and later ran two lines across what is now Kentucky.

In writing of the above event' John Stewart said to Lord Bettecourt, 25th., Oct. 1770, "I arrived here "Lochaber" the 15th., found all Cherokee Chiefs and followers,about one thousand in number. Also had pleasure of finding Col. John Donelson here exactly punctual to the time appointed". (Stewart two days late.) "I beg leave to return your Lordship my most sincere thanks for having sent a gentleman of Col. Donelson1s discernment and probity to assist me. I beg leave to refer your Lordship to him for every particular'."

March 1772, Earl of Dungore writes Earl of Hillsboro "of outstanding importance in Col. Donelson's career is his connection with the signing of the two "Associations of Virginia Legislature & Merchants",, copies of which may be found in the Library of Congress. These Associations were in the nature of protest following upon events in Boston and elsewhere. They are signed by Washington, Jefferson, Henry Lee, Harrison, Patrick Henry,Jr., and others; in one case by 25 members and in the other by eighty-nine. These papers are catalogued as Broadside, fully described in Histories of what might be Revolutionary preamble. Donelson aligned bath papers.

John Donelson born in Somerset County Maryland 1718 - died in Tennessee 1785; married Rachel Stockley, daughter of Alexander Stockley of Accoraack County, Virginia.

Children:
Alexander Donelson,--born in Accomack, Virginia - of age before 1763

Wm. Donelson - - - - married Charity Dickerson

John Donelson - - - married 8/17/1779 Mary Purnell, in Md.

Samuel Donelson - - -married Mary Smith in 1797

Seven Donelson - - - married Elizabeth Hucker

Stockley Donelson - -married Elizabeth Martin

Jane Donelson - - - married 1787 to Lieut. Robert Hays

Catherine - born 175Cv.di6d 1835, married Capt.Thos. Hutchings, 1768.

Rachel married, Andrew Jackson.

Mary married, John Caffrey

Levin

Samuel Donelson- died at age of 24, married Mary Smith 1797- had children. 1, Maj. Gen. Daniel Smith Donelson, 2 Andrew Jackson Donelson, and 3, John Donelson.

I. Gen, Daniel Smith Donelson, married in Washington 1827 to Margaret Branch, daughter of Gov. John branch of N. C. Their children were Elizabeth Branch Donelson, born 1831, married Mlllara Williams; Mary Ann Donelson, married Jas. Glasgow Martin II; Sarah Smith Donelson, born 1836, died 1869, married Wm. Henry Bradford; Emily Donelson, born 1838 married Jas. E. Horton; Rebecca Williams Donelson, James Branch Donelson, born 1847, died 1912; Samuel Davis Donelson, Martha Bradford Donelson,born 1847, died 1893, married John M. Shute; Susan Branch Donelson, born 1848, died 1871, married Marcus L. Dismukes; John Branch Donelson, married Jennie Alexander; Daniel Smith Donelson II, born 1853, died 1914, married Florence Hood, niece of Gen. Hood, resided at Tullahoma,Tenn. Fort Donelson, on Cumberland named for Maj. Gen. Daniel Smith Donelson, grand-son of Col. Jno. Donelson,

Mrs. Richard L. Moore of Chattanooga, mother of Grace Moore is a descendant of Jane Stockley, sister of Rachel Stockley Donelson.

Col. Harry Yeatman of Nashville, married Mary Eastin Polk, daughter of Lucius Polk and Mary Eastin of Mrs. Andrew Jackson. "Hamilton Place," in Maury County .was built by Lucius Polk 100 years ago, 1835. He married Mary Eastin, in the blue room in the White House during Andrew Jackson's Administration. "Cleveland Hall," known as the Donelson home, was located near the Hermitage.

There were 387 known descendants of Col. John and Rachel Donelson who served in the World War. Four Chapters of N.S.D.A.H., named for John Donelson or some member of his family,,two in District of Columbia, one in Springfield, Mo», one in Nashville.

In Maryland Colonial Wills, 1634- 1777- Richard Hutchings s Wills Talbot Ce., Md., 1706 - John Donaldson wills in St. Mary's Co., Book T.A. 1, page 216 -- 1748, Patrick Donaldson, Somerset Co., 1725 -Thomas Donaldson, wills, 1743 - Samuel Donaldson in Worcester Co., Wills, 1764 - John Donaldson wills in Kent Co., 1772.

For later notes on Donelson line, see Timberlake Genealogy.

STOCKLEY

The Stockley name goes far back in history of Maryland, Delaware, Virginia & Pennsylvania. Francis & John first appear in records of North Hampton Co., Virginia. It, is probable that Woodman was a brother of John & Francis, and the three were sons of John and their mother was a Woodman, John had son, Francis & Francis had son John. John, brother of Francis, was elected to House of Burgesses shortly before his death. He had lands in Accoraack County, and was in that county in 1633. Records in "Northampton, (than Accomack) 1640 show John transported by brother Francis.. Records January 15, 1651 show John had a wife Elizabeth. John Stockley, .foreman of grand jury, Nov. 6, 1655, receives much land by certificates. In 1672 he was a Vestryman in Accomack Parish. In 1672 John Stockley was chosen one of nine representatives for County of Virginia Assembly, August 15, 1673. Elizabeth Stockley asks probate of her husband's will. John Stratton appears as witness. Will of John Stockley, planter, Accomack Co. , gives a plantation, "Assawaraan, 2700 acres to all his sons, each to take his share at 18, provided wife is also deceased- If wife survives not to take share till 21. Elizabeth, wife to keep plantation they are seated upon during widowhood, reversion to Thomas - There were three daughters^ Jean or Jane, Hannah, Anne. Has provided for daughter Elizabeth sons Woodman and John have had their share of cattle, Witnesses: Custiss, Thos. Bagwell, written Proved 3, 1673, proved Aug. 18, 1673

John was born about 1621 - wife Elizabeth born 1633 - Elizabeth, widow of John Stockley, married John Stratton before April 16; 1675, she died 1706- Elizabeth Stratton1 s will mentions daughter, Anne Atkins and her sons, Joseph^ John Atkins & Matilda Atkins, grandson Woodman Stockley, Henry Toles, Jr; Stockley Toles, John, Francis, Thomas, Joseph and Charles Stockley. To Hannah Bailey leaves all cattle and to her sisters ( Hannah's) leaves as much again as to sons, Woodman and Thomas Stockley, Executors. Written June 17th., 1697-Proved Aug. 6, 1707- Elizabeth because blind before her death.

Children of John and Elizabeth were:

Wm. born about 1649, m Mary died 1686.

Elizabeth

Woodman, born about 1654, m Jane died between 1700 & 1713.

Hannah, m Bailey,

John, b 1657 m Mary Smith.

Thomas d 1719

Francis, m Sarah, d Aug. 1698.

Anne m Atkins. <>Charles, died 1728, married Mary Tunnell, no Issue- probably married Mary Massey before 1696.

Joseph first appears in records in 1680.- on list of titheables.

Will of Joseph Stockley, Sr., leaves to son, Joseph 300 acres where he ( Joseph) lives - to Alexander & Ellas, plantation where he (Joseph Sr.) lives called "Assawaman" north part to Alexander. He mentions grand son, Joseph and grand daughter Comfort Stockley. Sons Alexander and Elias, Executors. No wife at time of his death and careful search cannot at present prove who was mother of his children, especially Alexander, father of Rachel Stockley - He may have married 3 times.

Alexander was of age prior to 1726. Sells on 27th., May, 1745, one acre to Parish for a church and church yard where Assawam Church now stands. Alexander was born about 1700. In his will written July 23, 1763, probated Sept. 1763, he wills to his daughter Rachel Donelson, wife of John Donelson, all negroes. Wills to grand daughter Comfort Stockley and grandson V.m. Nock, Remainder of estate goes to son Alexander. Son Alexander and grandson Alexander Donelson, Executors, John Stockley, Head of Stockley family in Accomack Co.

John Stockley, son of John Sr. who probably married >> Woodman was born about 1621 died 1673 married Elizabeth, born 1633 - died 1706. Their children:

William, Woodman, John, Thomas, Elizabeth, Jean or Jane, Anne, Hannah, Joseph, Charles, Francis

Joseph Stockley - name of wife not given - mentions in will sons, Joseph, Alexander, Elias. May have had other children

Alexander, son of Joseph Stockley was born about 1700 died 1763 had son Alexander, a daughter who married ?? Nock, and a daughter Rachel who married John Donelson.

HUTCHINGS GENEALOGY

The name is thought to have originated in the North of England, and derived from the personal name "Hugh". The children of Hugh were called "Hutchings", and thus the surname developed Some branches of the family called themselves "Hitchins" and " Hitchings".These forms are frequently found today as are Hutchins and Hutchings. In Virginia appears the name Houchins, thought to be misspelling of same name,

The coat of arms we have is accredited to John Hutchins, who came to America from Southampton, England about 1640. He was living in Newbury, Mass',, in 1642; His son, William Hutchins, established the family in Rowley, Mass., and from him many who bear the name ie descended. Others of this name who were in the New England colony" at an early date were: Nicholas of Lynn, Mass., in 1666, Joseph of Boston in 1657; George, who was a freeman in Cambridge, Mass.,in. 1638.

As early as 1706 we find records of the Hutchings family in Talbot Co., Maryland, and in 1758 there were Hutchings in N.J. It is probable that the Hutchings in Norfolk County, Va.,moved there from Maryland. The oldest of the family in Norfolk of whom we have any record is Col. John Hutchings, born 1691, married Amey Godfrey (about 1710), died 1768. We do not know whether he was born and married in Maryland or Virginia.

In the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol.XV,pp. 379-380, we find this: "Col.John Hutchings of Norfolk Burrough, was born 1691, died April 1768, wife Amey Godfrey." Col. John Hutchings was a member of the House of Burgesses, 1738-1755. Col, Hutchings and Amey Godfrey were the parents of John and Joseph, Elizabeth, Mary, Amey, Frances & Sussannah Hutchings. A John Hutchings was J.P. in Norfolk in Colonial days, as was a Joseph also. From these records one could make a line eligible to Colonial Dames membership.

In Norfolk County we have found a marriage record of one John Hutchings, Jr. to Anne Ramsay 1766 - and at a later date the record of marriage of another John Hutchings. John Hutchings,( born about 1711) married Ann, (about 1729), and died in Pittsylvania Co.,Va.,1776 was brother of Capt. Thomas Hutchings. His will probated Nov.28,1776 in Pittsylvania Co., Va., can be found in Deeds and Will Book #5,p.421,

Legatees: Ann Hutchings (widow)

Thomas, Christopher, Elizabeth and John Hutchings,

Among the "Public Claims" in Pittsylyania County is one for Mrs. Hutchings, which when dates are proven will admit,, descendants to D.A.R. membership.

Christopher Hutchings was born about 1730,married Elizabeth about 1749. Will probated in Pittsylvania County,July 20, 1807, Deed and Will Book #11, page 307. Legatees: Elizabeth (widow) Thomas, James, Milly Nowling, Ann Dillard, Jemina Welch, Moses Hutchings, Bryant Nowling, gr.son. The following Public Service Claim admits descendants of Christopher to D.A.R.:

(Copy of Photostat) - Pittsylvania to-wit

No. 17
I hereby certify I have received for public use of Christopher Hutchings One Bullock adjudged to weigh two hundred weight gross .... for which payment at the rate of - - - - v - -shall be made

Polly's Quilt

Back Home