REAGAN
Henderson County TN
From the "History of Henderson County TN by Auburn Powers 1930

Reagan is a small village eleven miles southeast of Lexington. Perhaps a Mr. Pierce was the first settler in the Reagan vicinity, which was in its early days known as Barren Springs. However, John M. Taylor, a congressman from Lexington, named it Reagan in honor of Senator Reagan from Texas. Congressman Taylor helped to establish a post office at the place and so named it in 1881. Reagan has long been known as a place of business. Its gins and mills have brought a good trade to the place. A. M. Powers, the leading merchant and one of the most outstanding citizens of the County, owns and operates a big merchandise store and does a good business. At present, Reagan maintains a good school, one of the two three-year high schools in the County, the other being at Sardis.

REAGAN
Henderson County TN
From the "History of Henderson County Schools" by Louise Oakley (County Fair Project 1940)

Mr. John M. Taylor, a congressman from Lexington, helped establish a post office here in 1881 naming it Reagan in honor of a very prominent man, Senator Reagan of Texas. The first settler in the community was Mr. John Bailey. We do not know why he settled here, nor from where he came. The oldest house in the community was constructed by Daniel McCollum about 1840. H.E. Pike is the present owner. Miss Tinnie Milam is the oldest person in the community, 85 years of age. The oldest church is Union Hill. Other churches now in use are Mt. Mariah, Barren Springs, Reagan and Dyers Chapel. The oldest store is the store used by A.M. Powers, now operated by D.G. Bailey. Others are J.R. Stewart, A.F. Taylor and H.Y. Taylor. The post office is located in the store operated by D.G. Bailey who is postmaster.

After a post office was established and named Reagan, the school then went by the same name. The building now in use was erected in 1937. Four buildings have been used. Miss Lucy Sage, we are informed, was the first teacher. The present teachers are Tom Bailey, Mrs. Daisye Presley and Mrs. Josephine McPeake. The average daily attendance is 85. Mr. Ira C. Powers , now Superintendent of County School, has taught in this school. Other teachers are Mr. James Page, Mrs. J.L. McKinstry, Dr. and Mrs. Henry Powers, Mrs. Exie McPeake, Mr. Tom Stanfill and Mrs. Tom Bailey.

Back