To The
S C H O O L S
of
HENDERSON COUNTY
TENNESSEE




Bargerton Community School

The school and village took their names from one of the early settlers and merchants, Ausburn Barger.

The present building (1940) was erected in 1921. There have been three or four other school buildings which served their turn, but did not bear the name Bargerton.

Some of the early teachers were Bill Barr, who taught at Sharon; Sid Rhodes, who taught at Meals Academy. Its present teachers are Mr. T.V. Taylor, Principal, Mrs. Glyn Phillips and Mrs. James Patton.

At the time of its erection Bargerton was set aside as a special school district by the State. The present daily attendance is 81.

From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)

The Bargerton boys basketball team in 1949-1950 was coached by Guy Dyer, who was also teacher of the upper grades and principal. Team members were (from left) Gerald James, Lester Coffman, Austin Jordan, Alton Lee Phillips, Franklin Fesmire, unknown boy, Joel Douglas and Jimmy Pierce.

Photo from the Lexington Progress date unknown

Back Home