S C H O O L S
Browns Community School
The school was named after Mr. Adam Brown who gave the land for the first school. Our first building was a log house built in 1879. Miss Emma Kimbrough was the first teacher with 35 pupils.
The next house was old Mt. Gilead Church moved hereafter the log house burned in 1901. The present building was constructed in 1926 This building is about one mile north of the original site. The first teacher in this building was Mrs. Esta West. The present teachers are Rena Mae Pierce and Laelaleigh R. Page. Our P.T.A. project for the year is the building of a school kitchen for the hot lunch program.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)