S C H O O L S
Hinson Springs School
The first school house in Hinson Springs was built when Hinson Springs Park was in its glory. The school being so near the park took its name from it. The first building was built about one and one-half miles from the present school. It was built of logs and was called Scotts Chapel for the man who gave the land. This was about 65 years ago. Then this building was torn down a new house was built at the present site. Mr. George Barker and Dan Scott built the house in 1907. In 1922 this building was destroyed by fire. In the fall of this year the present house was built, the people of the community donating the lumber and labor. The building was not weather boarded until a few years ago.
The first teacher at the present location was Miss Ethel Hodges, nor Mrs. Ernest Love. The present teacher is Mary Sue Goff. The average attendance of pupils is thirty.
The community of Hinson Springs took its name from the Hinson Springs Park. The park was named for Joe B. Hinson, who owned the first hotel there. The first settlers were the parents of Mr. George Barker. His mother was a native of Virginia, but his father was born and reared near this community. There are no churches in the community. The school house has always been used for church services of all denominations. The present mail carrier is Connie Sullivan. The early community was much larger than at the present. It included what is now Life, Ruby's Grove and Mable's Grove.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)