To The

Howard Community School

Howard school, located three miles east of Lexington was named after R.W. Howard who donated the land on which the building was erected in 1927, having as first teacher, Mary Katherine Webb, granddaughter to Mr. Howard. In 1931 this building burned and in the following spring the present school was built.

The attendance has gradually increased from a one teacher school to a two teacher school, with a present enrollment of 55 and an average attendance of 43. Miss Leota Holmes is principal and Mrs. Ruth King assistant.

As in most Tennessee small communities and rural sections, these families representing the attendants of the school, are hard working and religious people, enjoying what community activities they can afford. Due to this fact, we find them a pleasant people to work with and look forward to the growth of the school.

The community has been known as the Howard Community because its first settlers were named Howard. Mr. Sam Howard was the first settler. We do not know when he made the settlement nor why he locate here. Our community is located approximately two and one half miles northeast of Lexington. The main road that passes through leads to Natchez Trace State Park.

From all accounts the oldest house now standing is occupied by Mr. Sims Hatchett. The exact date of its erection is not known. It is believed to be about 100 years old and built by Ben Jacobs. There have never been any churches in this community. Occasionally, services are held by visiting Baptist ministers in the school building. Mr. George Stephens has the only store the community has ever had. The people receive their mail on RR 2 with Mr. Connie Sullivan the mail carrier.

From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)

Back Home