To The
S C H O O L S
of
HENDERSON COUNTY
TENNESSEE




Independence School

Independence school was named from the community in which it is located. The present building was built in the year 1938. Three buildings have been used. The first was located about a mile from the present location and was known as Smyrna. The building is still standing and is now being used as a dwelling on the farm of Victor Gardner.

In the year 1915 the schools of Smyrna and Law were consolidated and moved to the present location near the Independence cemetery. The first teacher in the school known as Independence was Mr. John Waller. The present teacher is Mrs. Rubye Hanna Williams. There are twenty-two pupils.

Independence, many years ago was a small community of stores, mills, hotel, saloon and other buildings. The people said they were independent of other communities and the town became known as Independence. Two of the first settler s were Mr. Thomas Black and Mr. Joseph Gardner who came from North Carolina. Mr. Gardner owned the first hotel which was located on the old stage road between Trenton and Lexington. This building is still being used as a dwelling. The building which Mr. Black built is now occupied by Otha McMinn. The Christian Church was built in the year of 1921 by Mr. Sweet and Claude Garnder. The Independence Cemetery was given by Mr. Black and his son was buried there in the year of 1889. The present mail carrier is Mr. W.L. Johnson of Lexington.

From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)

Back Home