S C H O O L S
Montgomery High School
Preceded by Lexington Colored School, which operated at Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church, Montgomery School was established in 1923 for the education of Negro boys and girls of Lexington and Henderson County. A Rosenwalk facility, it was reorganized at Montgomery High School in 1927. A new school building ws completed in 1950 to serve a wider area, including Benton, Decatur, Madison, Perry and Wayne counties. In highly segrated rural West Tennessee, it was a center for the African-American community. In 1967 the school closed because of desegregation. Montgomery High School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on July 5, 2007.
(Ceremonies held on Saturday (July 5, 2008) marked the unveiling of a historical marker proclaiming the former Montgomery School site as a National Historical Site. The former African American School was organized in 1927)
Photo and Article from the Lexington Progress
Montgomery School Alumni and others gathered at the old African American School site on Saturday (July 5, 2008) to unveil a new era in the life of the building. A marker naming the site on the National Register of Historical places was unveiled during the ceremony. The school provided educational opportunities from 1927 until desegregation in 1967. Former students on hand included members from classes dating back into 1930's.
By Brenda Fidler