S C H O O L S
Mt. Gilead School
Mt. Gilead school received its name from the church in the community. It is a Bible name. The first building was a small log house. Later the church house was used as a school, then a boxed house was built for a school. This house burned and a one room frame house was built. In 1929 a second room was added. In 1939 a third room was added.
Some of the first teachers were Mr. Jack Lewis, Mr. Shelly, Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Jeter. Present teachers are Carmon Duck, Mrs. Gladys Gateley and Miss Mary Katherine Rhodes.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)