Poplar Springs School
Henderson County TN
The school was named for the two poplar trees that stood near the springs. The present building (1940) was completed in 1920. The old Rock Hill Church was formerly used for a school. Ed McCollum, Luther Stanfill and John Ballard were among the early teachers.
The present teachers are Clyde M. Reeves, Aaron Tolley, and Miss Eula Mae Ringold. The average daily attendance is about 85.
The present building consists of three class rooms, one shop room and a storage room. It is the only rural school in Henderson County that met the classification requirements for a "B" Grade. The school has a Parent Teacher Organization with Mrs. Clyde M. Reeves as President and Mrs. Warren Holmes as Secretary. The Gymnasium was completed in 1935.
From the works of Louise Oakley
8th Grade Class 1926
Front: Teacher Dewey Howell, Bennie Mae Williams, Lucile Fesmire Cottrell, Ardie Holmes White, Willie Mae Douglas , Fay Anderson
Back: Ray Richardson, Ruby Stratton McDonald, Homer D. Fesmire and Nelson Singleton. (Photo byMary Douglas Cravesn)
Excerpt from "Henderson County Tennessee Connections" by Brenda Kirk Fiddler 2005
Poplar Springs Basketball Team 1933
Lexington Progress July 17, 1996
Top Row: Unknown, Helen Cogdell, Lavern Holmes, Marie Williams, Irene Anderson
Bottom Row: Edith Gabbards, Jane Anderson, Mary Patton, Lena Mae Sikes