S C H O O L S
Reed School was named after Judge Reed who had the land upon which the schoolhouse was built. The school was established in 1880. There have been five buildings in the community. The first teacher on record was Judge Reed with about 12-15 pupils. The present teachers are E.W. Hanna and Lois Johnson, with an enrollment of 50 pupils.
The oldest house in the Reed community now standing is the McCall home. The house is 100 years old and occupied or used as a summer residence by John A. McCall. The church was built by the community in 1918. A.G. Hayes opened the first store in 1912. The first mail carrier was P.W. Walker. Sam Hayes settled her in 1850 and was the first Justice of the Peace.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)