S C H O O L S
Sand Ridge School
Sand Ridge School was named because it was located on the ridge which separates the water that flows into the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers. The present building was built about 1922. There had been four buildings, the first being a log building, erected about 1835. The most ancient teacher that we can learn of was Mr. Charlie Hill who taught here 80 years ago. The present teachers are Mrs. Henry Patton and Miss Ophelia Hall with an average attendance of 52.
The community is thus named for the same reasons as the school. The oldest house now standing is the Abner Laws place, which was built before the Civil War. The floor facing of the house has a hole in it caused by a shot during the war. The oldest church is Old Hepzibah, which is about 100 years old. It is still used for funeral occasions. Rev. Wash Perkins preacher here in 1877. The oldest store was operated by Hall Bros. and the present store is operated by W.H. Wilkins. The post office is Lexington.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)