To The
S C H O O L S
of
HENDERSON COUNTY
TENNESSEE

Sardis Normal College - 1904


C. Perry Patterson who was born in a log cabin two miles northwest of Saltillo, January 23, 1880 was the president of Sardis Normal College where he served for six years. Patterson married Tommie Cochran in 1904, a Sardis native of culture and education.

Excerpt from "Henderson County History " by Stewart Tilman









Sardis Community School was named from "Old Sardis Camp Ground". There have been seven buildings used for school in Sardis. Three of them were churches used before Sardis ever had a school building. The present building was completed in July 1940. Rev. Matt Hanna was the first school teacher to teach in Sardis. He taught in 1867. Present teachers are A.J. Stelle, Principal; Nell Duffy, Imogene Key, Fred Colvett, Bill Blevens, Benson Travillion, Principal of Grammar School; Walter Carter, Beulah O. Hanna, Ruby W. Hanna, Ruth H. Vandyke. The average attendance of grammar school is 163.

Sardis has been a Senior High School since 1932. Sardis School was chartered as a Normal College by the State in 1884. College work was taught here over a long period of years.

From the works of Louise Oakley, Supervisor of Henderson County Schools 1940 (Fair Project)

Back Home