S C H O O L S
Originally this was Shady Hill School. This photo was taken in September 2006 when Lucille Jones and I explored the Shady Hill community where she grew up. Lucille attended school here throughout her grade school days, from about 1928 to 1936. If any of you have any photos or school stories to share with us, please send them in. This is all that's left of the old times in this little school and it would be a tribute to many, if we could piece together its history. The sign on the building is "Shady Hill Community Center" , its last known function.
The Shady Hill School building, which was located near the site of the present store, dates back many years before the Civil War. It was built of logs, had a puncheon floor and split logs for benches. This was a long time before free schools, and all who went paid tuition. This school outgrew the building and instead of making a larger building, it was decided to make two smaller ones. These were New Hope and Rushing School Houses. They continued until 1913 when they were again consolidated, at the site of the present building, which is one half mile north of the store. This is one of the oldest consolidated schools in the county. Bill Rogers and Mrs. Eva Neisler were the first teachers. The present teachers are D.E. Howell and Mrs. Ruth Middleton. More than 25 others have taught here. Before the days of school transportation, more than one hundred students were enrolled. There is an enrollment of near fifty at the present time. The name of Shady Hill originated from the unusually large trees which stood near the oldest home. This house is the Aunt Millie Buck home which was built nearly 100 years ago. It is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Carnell Middleton.
From the "History of Henderson County Schools" by Louise Oakley (County Fair Project 1940)
Third Row Left to Right - Seaborn Middleton, teacher, Edith Helms, Hugh Blankenship, Jewel McCollum, Billy Brown, Zula Rhodes, Guest Middleton, Mary Nell Yates, Louise Smith, Dorthy McCollum, Marene Petty, John S. Rhodes, Jewel Smith, McEwen Eason, Eula Hart, Mary Lois Phodes, Joe Louise Rhodes, Lucille Tuck, Madge McCollum.
Second Row Left to Right - Eddie Mae McCollum, Frank McClanahan, Martha Kay Rhodes, Talmadge Yates, Lenna Sue Buck, Jessie Rhodes, Virginia McCollum, Marie McCollum.
Front Row Left to Right - Johnny Bell Snider, Jimmy Rhodes, Basil Snider, Dalton Rushing, Max Helms, Howard Buck, Raymond McClanahan, John A. Yates, Hall Buck.