To The
S C H O O L S
of
HENDERSON COUNTY
TENNESSEE




Timberlake School

Timberlake School was named for the Timberlake family. The present and only building, was put up in 1907. The first teacher was Miss Gladys Carlton, deceased. She had an average attendance of 40 pupils. The present teacher is Jemima Laws with attendance of 24. The community was named for Richard Timberlake. The first settler was E.J. Timberlake who came when the railroad was built. The J. D. Timberlake home is the oldest house still standing and occupied by Sam McCollum. The oldest store was owned by George Dameron, the present store owned by Alfred Richardson.

From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)

Ashley Adams' first teaching job was at Timberlake in 1923 where he taught all 8 grades. He remembers a lovely little girl, Elizabeth Pearson, now Mrs. Charles Ferguson, who sat in his lap while she recited her 1st grade reading lesson. Other students he remembers from those by-gone days at Timberlake were Opal Fesmire, her brother, Abe and sister, Ruby.

Source: "Interesting People" from the Lexington Progress July 23, 1980 written by Doris Jarrett

Back Home