S C H O O L S
White school received its name from being the first school building gin the county painted white. The new building was built in 1937. A shelter and two buildings have been used. John Frier was the first teacher in the old building. He enrolled more than 100 pupils. The present school grounds join the Natchez Trace State Park. A new gravel road has been built from the park to the school. The present teachers are Major Scates and Mrs. Mable Scates Gilliam with an average attendance of 62.
The community received its name from the school. Billy Woods was the first settler. The G.W. Blankenship house is the oldest now standing and it was the home of the first settler. Bible Grove is the oldest church. There is now another one, the Church of Christ. John Friar set up the first store. The current store is owned by J.W. Blankenship. Tulip was the oldest post office. Chesterfield is the present post office. The present carrier is E.B. Evans. Mrs. F.M. Wood, age 83, is the oldest person in the community.
From the works of Louise Oakley - Henderson County Supervisor of Schools (Fair Project 1940)