Knox County, TN
CALHOUN, George W.
Railroad builder; born Chambersburg, Pa., June 11, 1862; Irish-German descent; son of James F. and Susan (Avery) Callahan; father's occupation farmer and mill builder; educated Powells High School, of Knox Co., Tenn.; married Carrie L. Graw April 26, 1892; member of Knights of Columbus, Catholic Knights, Cumberland Club; Democrat; former Alderman of Knoxville, Tenn.; began his business career as dealer in marble monuments; Catholic; President The Callahan Construction Co., Knoxville, Pure Milk Co., Vice President Knox County Bank & Trust Co., Director City National Bank, Knoxville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CALHOUN, Joseph Painter
Clergyman; born Gohenville, Pa., Feb. 15, 1852; son of Capt. Samuel Neal and Hannah (Sheridan) Calhoun; paternal grandparents Hon. John and Elizabeth (Anthony) Calhoun; maternal grandfather John Sheridan, his maternal grandmother was a Miss Campbell prior to her marriage; student in Glen Run Academy, Armstrong Co., Pa., 1871-1875; studied law under tuition of Judge John V. Painter, Kitanning, Pa., 1875-1876; student Western Theological Seminary, 1877-1890; received D.D. degree from Franklin College, New Athens, Ohio, 1902; married Madge F. Stockdill, May 9, 1879; ordained Presbyterian minister, 1879; stated supply, Le Claire and Princeton, Iowa, 1879, 1881; Crooked Creek and Cherry Run, Pa., 1885-1890; pastor State Lick, Pa., 1890-1894; Newton, Kan., 1894-1895; Homewood Avenue church, Pittsburg, Pa., 1895-1906; pastor First Presbyterian church of Maryville, Tenn., 1908-1910; at present he is pastor of Fourth Presbyterian church, Knoxville, Tenn.; superintendent of evangelist work in the South and Southwest, Presbyterian church, U.S.A.; as chairman of committee, Pittsburg, Pa., he originated and organized first simultaneous campaign in 1904, by which many thousands were added to the churches participating in same, and this plan has since been adopted throughout the world. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CAMP, Eldah Cicero
Lawyer, coal operator and real estate owner; born near Mount Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio, Aug. 1, 1839; son of Eldad Cicero and Minerva M. (Hinman) Camp; raised and worked on farm until thirteen years of age; attended school at Chesterville and Martinsburg, O., two years; from April, 1857, to April, 1860, taught school at and near Richmond, Ky.; during the fall and winter 1860-61 was a teacher of school at Platt City, Mo.; during this time of teaching he was reading law which was continued during the war when not in the war, along with more or less of practice; arrived at Knoxville Feb. 18, 1865, where he has ever since resided; in 1869 was appointed U.S. district-attorney for the Eastern District of Tenn.; became interested in coal mines in 1868, and is now president of coal mines in Tennessee and Virginia; has always been connected with Chambers of Commerce, Boards of Trade and other societies and has been a representative thereof at meetings held both in and out of the state on many occasions. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CARPENTER, Daniel A.
President Knoxville Brick Co.; born Rockcastle Co., Ky., March 24, 1837; English descent; son of William S. and Malinda (Merryman) Carpenter; father's occupation machinist and blacksmith; paternal grandparents James P. and Susan (Taylor) Carpenter; maternal grandparents Allen A. and Elizabeth (Bybee) Merryman; received common school education; began his business career as a salesman in a small country store in 1852; went to Camp Dick Robertson, Ky., in Aug. 1861 with other East Tennesseans and founded the second Tenn. Infantry, and became Major of same in 1862; was placed under fire of the Federal guns while they were shelling Charleston, S.C., being held as a prisoner of war at the time; married Sophia A. Berry June 23, 1863; member of Master Lodge No. 244, 1867, Pearl Chapter No. 23, Knoxville, 1867, Couer de Lion Commandery No. 9 Knoxville, 1867; Democrat; elected Sheriff of Anderson Co., in 1866, was appointed U.S. Internal Revenue Assessor by President Johnson in 1867; Mayor of Knoxville, Tenn., 1876-7; U.S. Pension Agent under Pres. Cleveland; has engaged during the last 40 years in merchandising, wholesale and retail; also interested in Coal and Iron, and real estate, and engaged in railroad building; now engaged in the manufacturing of building brick and farming and stock raising, principally cattle; was delegate to the Baltimore Democratic Convention 1872 and voted for Horace Greely. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CARSON, William Waller
Civil engineer; born near Natchez, Miss., June 2, 1845; English, Scotch-Irish and Huguenot descent; son of James Green and Catherine (Waller) Carson of Louisiana; father's occupation cotton planter; paternal grandparents Col. Joseph and Caroline C. (Green) Carson of Alabama; maternal grandparents William Smith and Catherine (Breckinridge) Waller of Kentucky; taught by private tutors before the war; studied at Washington College, Va. (now Washington & Lee University) after the war; graduated from Washington College in civil engineering in 1868, mining engineering in 1869; in 1873-4 a student in Chemical Laboratory of School of Mines, Columbia College, N.Y.; married Rachel Finnie of Memphis Dec. 23, 1880; member of Fred Ault Camp No. 5 U.C.V., American Society of Civil Engineers, Engineering Association of the South, Society for Promotion of Engineering Education, Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, Cherokee Country Club, Appalachian Club; private, finally Sergeant-Major, 4th La. Cavalry, C.S.A., 1863-5; professor of Mathematics Davidson College, N.C., 1877-1883; has been engineer on various railroads and other public work; professor of Civil Engineering, University of Tenn., since 1885; member of 1st Presbyterian Church of Knoxville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CATES, Charles T. (Jr)
Lawyer; born Maryville, (Blount Co) Tenn., March 6, 1863; son of Charles T. and Martha V. (Kidd) Cates; father's occupation lawyer; received his primary education at the New Providence Academy, Maryville, Tenn.; graduated from Maryville College 1881 with degree of B.A.; received degree LL.D. in 1909; taught school from 1881 to 1884, two years of this time as principal of the public school in Maryville, Tenn.; studied law at night and during vacation in his father's office; received license to practice in October 1883; was admitted to bar at December term of the circuit court at Loudon, Tenn. and began practicing at Maryville, Tenn., as a member of the firm of Cates & Son; in 1889 he removed to Knoxville, where he was a member of the firm of Howe & Cates, 1889-91; he was in partnership with Gen. R.N. Hood from 1891 to latter's death in 1892; in 1893 he formed partnership with Jerome Templeton, under firm name of Templeton & Cates which partnership continued until 1898; in October 1902 he became member of the firm of Shields, Cates & Mountcastle, Knoxville, Tenn.; in September 1902 he was appointed attorney-general and reporter of the state for full term of eight years, re-appointed in 1910; he had charge of case of State of Tenn. vs. Standard Oil Co., resulting in decree of ouster by Supreme Court of Tennessee against Oil Company (appealed to Supreme Court of U.S.); former chairman of Democratic Executive Committee of Knox County 1898-1902; member of Democratic State Executive Committee 1898-1900; delegate at large to Democratic National Convention, Kansas City, Mo., 1900; managed campaign for “Free and Untrammelled Judiciary” in 1910; married Emma J. Parham Nov. 3, 1886; member Elks, Knights of Pythias, and Cumberland Club; also member of Tennessee and American Bar Associations; director of the Third National Bank of Knoxville; member of Methodist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHANDLER, William P.
Judge of Knoxville City Court; born Blount Co., Tenn., Jan. 25, 1872; son of Richard and Annie (Porter) Chandler; Scotch-Irish descent; graduate of University of Tenn. in 1890; former business occupation newspaper work; married Lucie Harris Aug. 21, 1895; member Masons (32nd degree Scottish Rite), K.T. (Past Eminent Commander; Past High Priest), member Appalachian Club (Elkmont, Tenn.); Past Regent of Royal Arcanum of Tenn. (Chilhowee Council), Master's Lodge No. 244 of Knoxville; elected Judge of Knoxville City Court 1909-1912; Chief of Knoxville Police Dept. 1906-1909; Major of 3rd Tenn. State Guards 1901-1903; entered newspaper work as city editor and managing editor of Knoxville Tribune; later telegraph and city editor of Knoxville Sentinel; one of Commissioners of East Tenn., who erected Centennial Building at Centennial Exposition at Nashville 1896; commission on staff as Capt. of late Gen. John F. Horn, commander of Dept. of Tenn. United Confederate Veterans; Recorder and Treasurer City Court Judge, Clerk of both boards and Treasurer of City of Knoxville; Deacon and member 3rd Presbyterian church (Knoxville). [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHAPMAN, David Carpenter
Vice-President and General Manager Chapman Drug Co.; born Knoxville, Tenn., Aug. 9, 1876; English and Scotch-Irish descent; son of John Ellis and Charlotte Alice (Young) Chapman; father's occupation President Chapman, White, Lyons Co., Wholesale Druggists; paternal grandparents Isaac and Elizabeth (Ellis) Chapman; maternal grandparents Judge D.K. and Elizabeth (Woodson) Young; educated University of Tenn.; married Augusta McKeldin Feb. 27, 1906; member of Cumberland Club, Cherokee Country Club, Elks; President of Knoxville Board of Trade; Director Commercial Club; Director Appalachian Exposition; Director Appalachian Club; member of Manufacturers and Producers Association; served in Spanish-American War, Second Lieut. 3rd Tenn. Vol. Infantry; Aide de Camp Brig.-Gen. L.W. Colby; Democrat; Vice-President and General Manager Chapman Drug Co., Wholesale Druggists, Knoxville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHILDRESS, George L.
A prominent citizen of Webster County, Mo., is a son of Hon. R.L. and Hannah (Lacy) Childress, who were born, reared and married in Knox County, Tenn. They became residents of Cherokee County, Ala., about 1833, and in 1851 came to Greene County, Mo. (now Webster County), and here the father served in the constitutional convention in 1864. In 1866 and 1868 he was elected to represent Webster County in the State Legislature, and prior to the war was county school commissioner, and also held other offices. His death occurred on the 30th of January, 1885, his wife having died in 1862. George L. Childress was reared to a farm life, and in his youth received only fair educational advantages. At the breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted first in the Home Guards, then for six months in the Phelps Regiment Missouri Infantry, and at the expiration of that time joined the Eighth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and for his bravery and efficient service was promoted first to the rank of captain, then to major, and lastly to lieutenant-colonel, holding the latter position until he received his discharge at the close of the war, being mustered out at St. Louis August 4, 1865. He participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Little Rock, Pumpkin Road, and was in numerous sharp skirmishes. After the war he settled on the old home place, and in 1876 was wedded to Miss Harriet A. Aldredge, who died in March, 1886, having borne a family of six children, whose names are as follows: Mary B., Frances E., Lillie E., Robert B., Creed A. and Linna M. Mr. Childress' present wife, whose maiden name was Louisa Newton, was born in Mercer County, Mo. Besides farming Mr. Childress deals very extensively in railroad ties, piling, posts and lumber, which he ships west, which enterprise has proved quite remunerative. He has always supported the principles of the Republican party, of which he has ever been a prominent member, and was appointed adjutant-general under Gov. McClurg for two years, but resigned at the end of one year. He is a member of the G.A.R. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
CLAXTON, Philander Priestley
Born in Bedford Co., Tenn., Sept. 28, 1862; son of Joshua Calvin and Ann Elizabeth (Jones) Claxton; graduate of University of Tennessee, A.B. 1882, A.M. 1887, Litt. D. Bates College 1906; student in Johns Hopkins University 1884-85; student of education and schools of Germany 1885-1886; visited schools in principal countries of Western Europe 1887; married twice, first, Varina Staunton Moore Dec., 1885; second, Anne Elizabeth Porter Sept. 1894; taught in graded schools of Goldsboro, N.C., 1882-83; Supt. of schools of Kingston, N.C. 1883-84; superintendent of schools of Wilson, N.C., 1886-87; superintendent of schools of Asheville, N.C., 1887-93; professor of pedagogy and German, North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College, Greensboro, N.C., 1893-96; professor of pedagogy and director of the practice and observation school of the same 1896-1902; professor of education, University of Tennessee since 1902; professor of secondary education and supervisor of high schools in the state since 1906; editor of North Carolina Journal of Education 1897-1901; editor of Atlantic Educational Journal 1901-1903; chief of the Bureau of Investigation and Information of the Southern Education board 1902-03; secretary Southern Educational Association 1899-1903; president of the same 1908; member of Council of National Educational Association and president Council of Southern Educational Association; chairman executive committee of National Story Tellers League; director of American School Peace League; director of Moral Education Board; member of National Society for the Scientific Study of Education, American Association of the Advancement of Science, National Geographic Society, Rockefeller Sanitary Commission for the extirpation of the hook-worm, Southern Education Board; Chairman campaign committee of Southern Education Board 1908-10; executive secretary of the Conference for Education in the South since 1910; member of Methodist church; Democrat; Author of "From the Land of Stories" and other books for primary schools, and of many addresses and published articles on education. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Mr. Cliborne is the son of Jubal and Charlotte (Williams) Cliborne, and was born in Knox county, Tennessee, January 30th, 1820. He was reared upon a farm in Tennessee, and in 1851, he emigrated to Missouri, settling in Greene county where he has since resided. When he reached here game was abundant and the settlers never knew what it was to be without fresh meat. As late as 1860 a large herd of deer passed over Mr. Cliborne's farm. When the war of the rebellion came on he was elected second lieutenant of Captain V. Abernathy's company of Home Guards. After the battle of Wilson's Creek, a party of rebels went to Mr. Cliborne's house and put a rope around his neck and threatened to hand him, because they said he had signed a petition for the Dutch soldiers to come to the county. They released him upon the condition of his leaving the country. He went to Rolla, but returned with the army. He suffered at the hands of both armies who “pressed” his stock and feed. Mr. Cliborne was elected justice of the peace in 1860, and served until 1876. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war. He was married the first time in Monroe county, Tennessee to Miss Drucilla Ann Gilbreth. That union was blest with four children three of whom are living. He was married the second time in March, 1855 to Mary Logan. They have three children, two boys and a girl. Mr. and Mrs. Cliborne are Methodists, and he is a Democrat in politics. He gave the first ground for the town site of Republic, and is a gentleman who takes active interest in the good of the county. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); Transcribed by Susan Geist]
CLOUSE, John W.
Public official; born Knox Co., Tenn., Feb. 9, 1842; Dutch-Irish descent; son of George W. and Nancy A. (McInturff) Clouse; father's occupation farmer; paternal grandparents Thomas and Rachel (Clouse) Clouse; maternal grandparents John and Nancy A. McInturff; in early life was engaged in farming; entered the army when quite young and was in the service three years; became Lieutenant of Company “E” 5th regiment Vol. Infantry under command of Gen. J.T. Shelley; has served three terms as Justice of the Peace, one in James Co., Tenn., and two terms in Rhea Co.; at three different periods of life has engaged in the mercantile business; was appointed postmaster Birchwood, Tenn., in 1872; is now Postmaster at Graysville, Tenn.; married twice, first Sarah E. Manger, Aug. 31, 1865, second Martha E. Everett Oct. 17, 1880; member Masons; formerly elder of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, now a member of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
COLLIER, Alexander Donald
ALEXANDER DONALD COLLIER, of Knoxville, Tenn., county judge of Knox county, was born in that county Jan. 11, 1861, his parents being Thomas and Jane (Brown) Collier. Judge Collier was reared on his father's farm, eight miles from Knoxville, and secured his primary education in the country schools of that section. He then entered the university at Athens, Tenn., from which institution he graduated in 1888. He afterward graduated from the medical department of the University of Tennessee, at Nashville, but did not devote his time to medicine. While still living on his farm he took up the study of law, and in 1890 was admitted to the bar. In 1894 he was elected justice of the peace for the eighth district, and was again elected in 1900. He served two terms in the legislature, having been elected in 1898 and again in 1900, and in 1902 was elected county judge for a term of eight years. Judge Collier has always taken an active interest in politics, and has since he reached the voting age been a member of the executive committee of the Democratic party of Knox county. He is a Master Mason and an Odd Fellow. The family are of Scotch-Irish descent, and are Cumberland Presbyterians. The Colliers of Tennessee are descended from John Collier, who in 1772 removed from his native place near Harrisburg, Pa., to Randolph, N.C., where he and his wife, Margaret Register, reared a family of nine children, two sons and seven daughters. He was an ardent patriot, espoused the cause of the colonies and was made commander of the patriot troops of his county with the rank of colonel. His activity drew upon him the wrath of the Tories, who were greatly in the majority in his section, and he was persecuted by them, his house burned, and his family robbed. In 1792, at the age of sixty years, he removed with his family to Greene county, Tenn., where he purchased a farm, and where he and his wife died in 1823 and 1824, respectively. From him and his brother, Capt. James Collier, who moved to Ohio in 1814, have sprung most of the family in Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and the West. [Source: Notable Men of Tennessee. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CONNOR, Ed Dougherty
Public Official; born Galbraiths, Hawkins Co., Tenn., Feb. 6, 1873; son of Michael J. and Katherine (Gregory) Conner; Irish descent; educated Hawkins Co. institutions of learning; married Frances M. Kinnane June 29, 1904; member Elks, Royal Arcanum, Knights of Columbus; appointed Chief of Police of Knoxville Jan. 23, 1910; entered police force Knoxville, Tenn., as patrolman in 1890; promoted through various ranks; member Catholic (Church of Holy Ghost). [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
A well-to-do farmer of the Seventeenth District of Weakley County, Tenn., was born in Knoxville, Tenn., October 80, 1819, and was the only child born to the marriage of Samuel Conner and Martha Hickey. Samuel Conner was of Irish descent some generations back, and was born in the Old Dominion in 1796. At the early age of three years he was brought to Tennessee by his parents, and was married in the land of his adoption. Weakley County became his home in 1831; here he farmed, and while in Missouri on business, died in 1859. The mother was born in Knox County, Tenn., in September, 1798, and died June 12, 1820. After attending the common schools, our subject, in 1842, married Martha A. Welch, daughter of John and Dorcas Welch. Mrs. Conner was born in 1825, and died in January, 1856, and of seven children born to them, five are living: Samuel M., John C., Dorcas A. (Mrs. D. W. McDade), Martha G. (Mrs. D. R. Wesbey), and George W., Jr. October 8, 1857, Mr. Conner married Mrs. (Gordon) Scaffold who was born in 1825, and three daughters - Ida E. (Mrs. J. G. McDade), Cora E. and Maggie L.were born to their union. Mr. Conner at one time time owned 500 acres of land, but disposed of portions of it until he now owns 168 acres. He is the oldest resident of the Seventeenth District and has been magistrate of the same six years. He is a Mason, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. All the children are residing near their father, save Mrs. Wesbey, who is a resident of Danville, IL. [Goodspeeds History of TN Weakley Co TN]
COOKE, Susan G.
Mrs. Susan G. COOKE, of Knoxville, Tenn., though for many years a resident of the South, was born in the State of New York. She is the daughter of George Spaulding Gale, one of the most prominent surgeons of Vermont, and a granddaughter of Gen. Summers Gale, of the same State, a hero of the War of 1812. Her mother, a woman of brilliant intellectual and social qualities, was a member of one of the oldest families in her section of the State of New York. From both her parents Mrs. Cooke inherits the energy and resolution which characterize all her undertakings. Graduating with high honors from a prominent school in New York City, Miss Gale shortly after became the wife of Sidney E. Cooke, a member of the New York Stock Exchange, who died in Knoxville in February, 1883. Mrs. Cooke has been identified with charitable work and for several years was one of the managers of the Brooklyn Orphan Asylum, and has held several positions of responsibility and honor. She is a member of the Board of Lady Managers of the World's Columbian Exposition from Tennessee, and was selected by Mrs. Potter Palmer to serve on the executive committee. She immediately assumed the duties of secretaryship of that committee, and on the retirement of Miss Pruebe Couzins as secretary to the full board, Mrs. Cooke was elected her successor. She is an indefatigable worker. Her excellent qualifications and amiability fit her for the heavy and numerous responsibilities she assumed in connection with the great Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. (American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies Vol 1 Publ. 1897 Transcribed by Marla Snow)
COOPER, Henry T.
Lawyer; born Jacksboro, (Campbell Co) Tenn., Jan. 28, 1852; son Gen. Joseph A. and Mary J. (Hutson) Cooper; educated Carson and Newman College, Jefferson City, Tenn.; early business career farming; married Tinnie R. Stewart Dec. 26, 1876; commissioner of election for Knox Co.; entered the law office of Thornburgh and McGuffey in Aug. 1873 and was admitted to the bar Feb. 10, 1876; member Baptist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Attorney; born Knoxville, Tenn., June 10, 1874; son Tully Robinson and Sophia Kennedy (Boyd) Cornick; paternal grandfather Judge John Cornick, paternal grandmother Elizabeth Tenant (Simpson) Cornick; maternal grandfather Judge Samuel B. Boyd, maternal grandmother Susan Howard (Mason) Boyd; English-Scotch-Irish descent; educated Knoxville, Tenn.; graduated Univ. Tenn. LL.B. degree June 1905; married Lillian Waring Oct. 29, 1901; member F. & A.M., I.O.O.F., S.A.E.; member of firm of Cornick, Frantz & McConnell, attorneys, Knoxville, Tenn.; member Episcopal church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
COX, Williston Madison
Lawyer; born Louisville, (Blount Co) Tenn., Oct. 10, 1877; English descent; son of Richard Lafayette and Linda (Williams) Cox; father's occupation flour manufacturer; graduated from University of Tenn., with degree of LL.B. in 1901; admitted to bar in all State and Federal Courts in 1901; in 1901-1905 practiced law and was employed in law department of L. & N. R.R.; in 1905 formed a partnership with James G. Johnson, assistant District Attorney for L. & N. R.R.; stockholder, and attorney for the Beck, Tarver Co., Agricultural Implements; married Helen Gordon Mead June 15, 1905; member Phi Kappa Alpha (Greek Letter Fraternity), and State Bar Association; formerly acted as Judge pro tem in Monroe Co., Tenn., Circuit Court; member of the Southern Methodist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CRUZE, Alvin Ellis
Secretary and treasurer Southern Coffin & Casket Co.; born in Knox Co., Tenn., Jan. 6, 1882; son of John F. and S.A. (Cruze) Cruze; father was a farmer and dairyman; educated in the public schools of Knox Co., Tenn.; began his career as farmer; married Myrtle M. Oglesby; member of New Providence Lodge No. 128 F. & A.M. (past master of same); member of Scottish Rite bodies up to thirty-second degree, and A.A.O.N.M.S.; alderman Third Ward, Maryville, Tenn., 1909-1911; member of firm of Ziegler, Cruze & Co., wholesale lumber mfgrs., and Southern Coffin & Casket Co., mfgrs., Maryville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CUMMINS, John Taylor
Traveling salesman; born near Bearden, (Knox Co ) Tenn., Oct. 7, 1847; Scotch-Irish and Dutch descent; son of Joseph B. and Elizabeth (Mattheny) Cummins; father was a merchant for 30 years in Louisville, Tenn.; educated in the local schools at Louisville, Tenn. and Holston College; in early life was a photographer; married Adria B. Rogers February 20, 1873; member F. & A.M., I.O.O.F. and J.O.U.A.M.; Postmaster at Louisville, Tenn. July 1, 1897 to Jan. 1, 1905; member of the Methodist Episcopal church; traveled for the American Bible Society a number of years; for the past five years he has been traveling salesman of East Tenn. for Levering Coffee Co., Baltimore, Md. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CURRIER, John M.
Accountant; born Knox Co., Tenn., Aug. 30, 1854; Scotch-Irish descent; son of John and Mary W. (Martin) Currier; father farmer; educated at Maryville, Tenn.; began his career as clerk and bookkeeper; elected Clerk of the County Court of Knox Co., Tenn. Aug., 1906, re-elected without opposition in 1910; married Lucy Hudiburg March 14, 1894; president board of trustees First Methodist Episcopal church, Clinch avenue, Knoxville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails