Maury County was founded in 1807. It was named in honor of Abram
Maury. A Williamson County surveyor, who was one of the commissioners appointed to lay out counties in West Tennessee.
He became State senator in 1805, later to become a member of the State House of Representatives.
Columbia is the county sent ami has a population of 3,400.
Other towns arc Williamsport, Mt. Pleasant, Santa Fe, Spring
Hill, Cullcoka, Bighyville, Neapoli, and Hampshire. The
water-courses are Duck River, Fountain, Bigby, Silver Knob,
Carter's, Snow, Rutherford, Globe, Leiper's and Cathay's
creeks. Some of these afford very considerable water power.
The surface of the country is generally level or undulating, but
at some points broken into hills. The soil is excellent, and
produces heavy crops of corn, wheat, oats, rye, grasses, clover
and cotton. The county is noted for its large production of
fiue stock, aud for its fine fruit and dairy product. There area
number of manufacturing establishments, employing about
$200,000 eapital and 200 hands. The religious denominations
are Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Cumberland Presbyterian,
Christian, Associate Reformed, Episcopal and Catholic.
The county taxes are: for roads, 12 cents; for county purposes, 25 cents per $100. The Louisville, Nashville and Great
Southern Railroad passes through the county. The Duck
River Valley Railroad, and the Nashville and Florence Railroad have their termini at Columbia.
Columbia has a female institute and Athenaum, and academies
and seminaries are found at every village and neighborhood in
the county. In the western part of the county some iron ore is
Hand-book of Tennessee By A. W. Hawkins, Henry E. Colton 1882