Welcome to Tennessee Trails!
Maury County, Tennessee

Billy James Bass,66, died Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009, at Signature Health Care Center in Erin.Graveside services will be 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at Wrigley Cemetery in Lyles with Bobby Kelley officiating.Visitation will be from noon-2 p.m. Tuesday at McDonald Funeral Home in Centerville.He was a native of Wrigley and the son of Chester and Eva Vaughn Bass.Survivors include sisters Berniece King of Dickson and Martha Altizer of Centerville.
Daily Herald, August 25, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Mason Bates,9, died Friday, Aug. 21, 2009, at Hickman Community Hospital.Services were Monday at McDonald Funeral Home in Centerville with Bill McDonald officiating. Burial followed in Wade-Peeler Cemetery.Visitation was Saturday and Sunday at the funeral home.He was a native of Columbia and was preceded in death by grandmother Mary Ella Petty Bates.Survivors include parents Wendell and Courtney Warren Bates, sister Aubree Elizabeth Bates and grandparents Leonard Bates and Randy and Darlene Marie Flowers, all of Centerville.
Daily Herald, August 25, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Allen Duane Bean,53, husband of Lisa Sommers Bean, a partner of Two Guys Trim and a resident of Williamsport Pike, died Thursday, August 27, 2009 at Maury Regional Medical Center.Funeral Services for Mr. Bean are incomplete and will be announced later by Heritage Funeral Home.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Jackie Eugene (Pee Wee) Bills,54, of Columbia died Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2009, at Maury Regional Medical Center.He is survived by loving family and friends. A complete obit will be published later. V.K. Ryan & Son Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Daily Herald, August 24, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Major J. A. Bradshaw - JONESBORO, Tenn., Mar. 2. – Major J. A. Bradshaw, tax assessor of this county, died at his home near Washington college this morning at about one o’clock. He has been sick for several weeks past, so much so in fact that he has not been able to attend to the duties of his office this year. He had sharp pains in his arms and breast and it was feared for some time that the disease would finally reach his heart, which was perhaps the immediate cause of his death. Major Bradshaw was a native of North Carolina, and come to Tennessee just prior to the late war. Like hundreds of other union men in this section he made his way to the federal lines and entered the union army and was mustered out as major of the Twelfth Tennessee calvary. In 1892 he was nominated by the republicans of this county for tax assessor and was elected in August of that year.
Daily Journal and Journal and Tribune (4 Mar. 1895) - transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Robert Bryson Brindley Sr.,a lifelong resident of Pulaski, passed away Saturday, Aug. 22, 2009, at the age of 75.Mr. Brindley was a member of the First Baptist Church of Pulaski. He made significant contributions to his community and his industry for more than 50 years.Mr. Brindley founded Brindley Construction LLC of Pulaski in 1960. A modest man, he was well known to industry leaders across the Southeast as a man of integrity and honor. He built the company from a home-building operation with his late father, S. W. Brindley into one of the leading general contracting companies in Middle Tennessee. He faced each personal and business decision with integrity, honor and loyalty. He passed this legacy to his family who today are carrying forward his vision in construction, development and realty businesses founded by their father. Robert Brindleys dedication to the employees, vendors and customers of Brindley Construction was legendary.His love of business was exceeded only by his love for his family.He is preceded in death by his parents, S.W. and Edna Sneed Brindley. He is survived by four sons, Robert Brindley Jr. and wife Belinda, Ronnie Brindley and wife, Daryl, Richard Brindley, Jeff Brindley and wife Sally all of Pulaski, and one daughter, Roxie Reynolds of Nashville, special friend/son Aaron Babe London of Pulaski, sister Linda Dale and husband Terry of Pulaski, and 15 Grandchildren, 8 great grandchildren.Services will be held 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2009, at the First Baptist Church of Pulaski with Brother Doug Plumlee officiating. Burial to follow at Maplewood Cemetery.Pallbearers are Preston Murrey, Solon Holt, Rand Hayes, Mike Patton, Ted Barnett and Andy Higgins. Honorary pallbearer is Jerry Miles, a lifelong friend.Visitation will be held from 4-8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 24, 2009, from at First Baptist Church, 407 S. First St., Pulaski, Tenn.Mr. Brindley requested memorials be made to the First Baptist Church of Pulaski Building Fund or to the Giles County Library. Condolences may be offered at carranderwinfh.com. Carr and Erwin Funeral Home Pulaski, Tenn. (931) 363-1533.
Daily Herald, August 24, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

James H. Brooks of Maury County, Tennessee, died last night at 7 o’clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. F. L. Coe, whom he had been visiting in Oak Lawn. The deceased is survived by J. A. and M. M. Brooks of Dallas, sons, and by Mrs. F. L. Coe and Mrs. Ashley Cullum of Dallas, daughters. The deceased had also a son resident in California and a daughter living in Tennessee. The deceased was 74 years old, and was prominent in his county. He had been in Dallas three months. The body was shipped last night via the Cotton Belt for Maury County, and was accompanied by J. A. and M. M. Brooks and Mrs. F. L. Coe.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas, June 22, 1909 – transcribed by, Amanda Jowers

JANE BROWNdied in Maury Co., Tenn., June 3, in the 91st year of her age. She was born June 22, 1740. Her husband, James BROWN, was murdered by the Cherokee Indians, May 9, 1788, and she and 5 children, made prisoners. Her husband, in company with Colonels John and Daniel GILLESPIE, her brothers, lead a company of soldiers at the Battle of Guilford Court House, during the Revolution. In 1792 she settled with her son, Col. Joseph BROWN, near Nashville, Tenn.
(June 28, 1831, National Intelligencer, as pub. in the NGSQ, vol 55, No. 1, March 1967) Submitted by, K. Torp

Howall Ray Burrow Sr.,78, died Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2009, at Maury Regional Medical Center in Columbia.Services will be 10 a.m. Thursday at London Funeral Home in Lewisburg. Burial will follow in Ring Cemetery at Pottsville.Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday and until the funeral hour Thursday at the funeral home.He was a native of Marshall County, the son of the late Jessie Paul and Ila Mae Fisher Burrow, was retired from Alliance Machine Works and also served his country in the National Guard. He was also preceded in death by son Michael Jay Burrow.Survivors include wife Bettie June Wheatley Burrow, sons Howall Ray Burrow Jr. and Dwight Steven Burrow and sister Faylynn Haislip, all of Lewisburg; brother Ralph Burrow of Pulaski, five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Daily Herald, August 26, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Daniel A. (Danny) Burson - Of Columbia, Tennessee, formerly of Flint, age 54, went to be with his family and friends in Heaven on May 16, 2005 at Maury County Hospital in Columbia, Tennessee. Service was held on May 19, 2005 at Oak and Nichols Funeral Home, burial in Rose Hill Cemetery in Columbia, Tennessee. Danny was born in Flint, Michigan on April 13, 1951 to Virginia and Richard Burson. He graduated from Flint Southwestern in 1969 and lived in Flint most of his life. He served in Germany during the Vietnam War. Danny was employed by Buick Motor Division in Flint and Lake Orion before going to Saturn, transferring to Spring Hill, Tennessee. He loved playing cards, the Casino, an avid Dallas Cowboy fan and loved his family and friends. Survived by his wife, Pam of Columbia, Tennessee; mother, Virginia Burson; sister, Ann Owens of Flint; father-in-law, Richard Dixon of Rankin; 2 brothers and 2 sisters-in-law of the Flint area; many relatives and friends, both in Flint and Columbia, and loving cat, Callie. He was preceded in death by father, Richard E. Burson; both sets of grandparents; also many family and friends. He is loved and missed dearly by the ones he left behind. Memorial service will be announced at a later date.
Flint Journal, The (MI) - November 21, 2005, Contributed by Darlene Anderson

Loretha Scott Cheatham, age 75, a resident of Hampshire Pike in Columbia, passed away on Wednesday, August 26, at her residence.Funeral services for Mrs. Cheatham will be conducted Saturday at 2:00 P.M. in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with David Davidson officiating. Burial will follow in Polk Memorial Gardens.The family will visit with friends on Friday from 4:00 - 8:00 P.M. at the funeral home.The Maury County native was born March 30, 1934, the daughter of the late Walter Oliver Scott and Mary Lou Truelove Scott Moore. She was the wife of the late Howard K. Cheatham. Loretha had worked as a Medical Assistant for several area doctors including Dr. Edward Ewton, Dr. John Brown, Dr. Andrew Sisk and Dr. Ralph Kustoff. She was a member of the Catheys Creek Church of Christ.Survivors include her son: Scott (LaQuita) Cheatham of Columbia; one brother: J.W. (Audrey) Scott of Columbia; one sister: Margaret Smithson of Centerville; grandchildren: Amy and Brad Cheatham, both of Columbia. She is also survived by many nieces and nephews. In addition to her husband and parents, Loretha was preceded in death by sisters: Julia Regeon and Carrie Mayberry and a brother: Fred Scott. Pallbearers will be Mike Smithson, Don Smithson, Tony Scott, Walter Scott, Dan Hunter and Randy Cheatham. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Catheys Creek Church of Christ.The family has requested that memorial donations be made to the Catheys Creek Church of Christ Building Fund, 4418 Stephenson School House Road, Hampshire, TN 38461.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Lucille Cheatwood, 88, died Monday, Aug. 24, 2009, at the home of her daughter.Services will be 2 p.m. Wednesday at Neal Funeral Home in Lawrenceburg with James Anderton officiating. Burial will follow at Mars Hill Cemetery.Visitation was Tuesday at the funeral Home.She was a native of Lawrence County, a homemaker and a member of Cloverdale Congregational Methodist Church. Her parents were the late Johnnie Robert and Laura Mae Martin Thompson. She was also preceded in death by husband Albert Cheatwood and granddaughter Chylene Long.Survivors include daughters Jane Honn and Nancy Doss, sister Betty Luna, brother James E. Thompson, five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren, all of Lawrenceburg.
Daily Herald, August 26, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Mrs. Loretta Virginia Cox, 92, who lived at 516 Cristler, died Tuesday after illness of several weeks. A native of Jonesboro, Tenn., she moved to Texas with her family seventy-nine years ago, settling in Denton County. She had lived in Arlington forty years before moving to Dallas eight months ago. She was a Methodist.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at the Moore Funeral Chapel in Arlington, with the Rev. John Wesley Ford officiating. Burial will be in Arlington Cemetery.
She is survived by two sons, O. L. Cox of Dallas, and A. H. Cox, Breckenridge; and a sister, Mrs. Fannie Jackson of Wichita Falls.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas, July 20, 1950 – transcribed by Amanda Jowers

Edward W. Dale - SUICIDE AT COLUMBIA - We copy the following melancholy account of the death of Mr. Dale, the Cashier of the Bank of Tennessee at Columbia, from the Nashville Whig of the 8th instant: - "Intelligence reached this city last night, that EDWARD W. DALE, the Cashier of the Branch Bank of Tennessee at Columbia, committed suicide yesterday morning, at his own house, by cutting his throat with a razor. He was found a corpse, soon after breakfast, in his bed chamber, and from the appearance of his throat, he had inflicted several severe wounds, before consumating the fatal deed. Of the causes which are supposed to have led to this dredfal end, we forbear at present to speak. The President of the Principal Bank left town this morning for Columbia.
Since writing the above notice of the sanquinary death of E. W. Dale, Cashier of the Bank of Columbia, the Observer of that town, has come to hand, and contains two long letters - one bearing date four days before the suicide was committed, and the other on the evening before. Pecuniary embarrassments, and private difficulties - endoresements for friends and disappointments in not making collections, seem to have led to this rash act, a very minute account of which is given in his letters. These letters in their details, are very plain and satisfactory, written in a spirit of candor, though the particulars detailed, are uninteresting, except to those of his acquaintance, in the vicinity of Columbia.
Mr. Dale protests most solemnly, that he knows nothing of the robbery of the Bank at that place, in 1839, farther than his own suspicions, which he admits were not sufficiently founded, to authorise the use of names by him. Since the robbery of the Bank last summer, of which Mr. Dale was Cashier, we have heard much said, and various things conjectured, but on all hands it is agreed, that in all the relations of life, he sustained an unblemished character. His own account, given expressly for the public eye, we regard as the testimony of a dying man, and having always entertained the opinion, that if the truth be in man, when he is dying, and conscious of his death, it will come, we give his statements full credit.
We give that portion of one of his letters, written four days before his death, which relates to all that the public, at large, have any interest in. His allusion to the melancholy act which he contemplated, while writing the letter, and which he afterwards carried into execution, will be read with painful emotions: -

"As to the robbery of the Bank in 1839, I know nothing about it more than that it was robbed by some person to me unknown, and who is to me yet unknown true. I have suspicions of the person, but not as I conceive sufficient to authorise me to name anyone. It is exceedingly painful to be driven to the nessesity of self destruction; but such is the enevitable necessity in my case that it cannot be dispensed with - such flagrant injustice has been done me recently by a body of respectable men, occupying an important trust, it is more than I can bear. I now have nothing left to live for, as I cannot be of any service to my family. It pains me to leave them in penary; it is also exceedingly painful to me that I leave my friends involved to such an extent on my account -- these things have been brought about by a combination of circumstances over which I had only partial control. I went into the bank reluctantlyl and I almost sincerely wish that I had never had any thing to do with it; regrets do no good now. I wish no funeral solematies of any description to be had over my poor frail remains - simply consign them in ther mother earth, there to rest, regardless of the storms, troubles and ills of this present life. Adieu to all I hold dear on earth. I have done some good to my fellow men, but I have also done a great deal of harm, though unintentionally.
The Whig, (Jonesborough, TN) Wednesday, July 22, 1840; Issue [11]; col E - transcribed by, Amanda Jowers

Harold (Hal) Dennis, 50, died Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009, at Heritage Medical Center in Shelbyville.Services will be 1 p.m. Saturday at Lawrence Funeral Home in Chapel Hill. Burial will follow at Simpson Cemetery in the Rover community of Bedford County.Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. at the funeral home.He was a native of Shawnee, Okla., a retired GM auto maker, having worked at Saturn in Spring Hill, and was preceded in death by father Franklin Dennis.Survivors include wife Laura Dennis of Shelbyville, daughters Christina Moore of Shelbyville and Christal Dennis of Unionville, son Chris Langley of New Castle, Okla.; mother Nona Dennis of Eufaula, Okla.; sister Deniece Munoz of Oklahoma City, Okla.; brothers Ricky Dennis of New Castle, Okla., and Jerry Dennis of Oklahoma City, Okla., and five grandchildren.
Daily Herald, August 26, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Mrs. Eliza L. Duncan - DIED, In Maury county, Mrs. Eliza L. Duncan, consort of Mr. Samuel Duncan.
National Banner and Nashville Whig (4 Mar. 1835) - transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Claude Kimery (C.K.) Ervin, 73, retired sales representative for Clark Hardware Company and resident of Carol Drive, died Tuesday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after battling congestive heart failure.Graveside services will be conducted Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at Rose Hill Cemetery with Rev. Ezell Rose officiating. Military honors at graveside will be provided by Herbert Griffin American Legion Post #19. The family will visit with friends Saturday from 10:00 to 1:30 p.m. at Oakes & Nichols. Notes of sympathy may be sent to www.oakesandnichols.com.The Marshall County native was the son of the late Claude Ervin and Susie Kimery Ervin. He spent his early life in Bedford County, graduated from Shelbyville Central High School, and attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. From 1955 to 1959 he served in the U. S. Air Force. Prior to moving to Columbia in 1980, he managed Knox Pitts Hardware Store in Shelbyville. He owned and enjoyed spending time on his farm in the Campbell Station Community.Survivors include his best friend and companion since their marriage, June 1, 1990, Judy McCandless Waggoner of Columbia; children, Sharon Ervin (Dick) Harris of Dallastown, Pennsylvania, Darlene Ervin Waggoner of Wartrace, Frances Ervin (Rocky) Cook of Shelbyville, David Nash (Janet) Ervin of Mountain Home, Idaho, Vikki Waggoner (Steve Bagby) of Clarksville, Gerald Waggoner, Jr. of Memphis, and Col. John (Lisa) Waggoner, serving in the U. S. Air Force in Germany; sisters, Nancy Ervin (Bobby) Powell of Wartrace, Susan Ervin (Larry) Callis of Carey, Ohio, Emilie Ervin (Sam) Powell of Signal Mountain; brother, Nat (Bonnie) Ervin of Chapmansboro; eight grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren.Grandsons and family will serve as active pallbearers. Dan James and Shannon Pope will serve as honorary pallbearers.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Richard Stoddard Ewell
Lieut. Gen. Richard Stoddard Ewell.

The telegraph announces the death of Gen. RICHARD S. EWELL, in Maury County, Tennessee, a prominent Confederate officer during the late war. The disease which caused his death was consumption.

RICHARD STODDARD EWELL was born in the District of Columbia, in the year 1820. After a full course of study at the Military Academy at West Point, he graduated in 1840, being appointed a brevet Second Lieutenant in the First Dragoons. He became a First Lieutenant, September, 1845, and was brevetted a Captain for gallantry at Contreras and Cherubusco, Aug. 20, 1847. He became a full Captain in 1849, and distinguished himself in a battle with the Apaches in New-Mexico, June 27, 1857.

When the rebellion broke out, EWELL, like so many talented army officers of Southern birth, determined to follow the fortunes of the Confederacy, and so resigned his commission May 7, 1861, immediately entering the Confederate service, with the rank of Brigadier-General. He participated in the battle of Blackburn's Ford, July 18, 1861, (the first of many engagements at that crossing,) and was present with his brigade at the Battle of Bull Run, but was not called into action. In 1862 he was promoted to Major-General and assigned to the command of a corps in the Army of Northern Virginia, under Gen LEE. He participated in the movement made by LEE against POPE in the Virginia Valley during the month of August, 1862, after the Peninsular campaign. EWELL was defeated Aug. 27, by HOOKER, at Kettle Run, a famous place for battles, and was forced to retreat to Manassas Junction, with considerable loss. EWELL's corps took part in the second battle of Bull Run, and he also participated in the first Maryland campaign, being wounded at Antietam. During the Centreville, Mine Run, Gettysburg and overland campaigns, EWELL was in active command, having charge of important positions in the Confederate lines, with the rank of Lieutenant-General. Since the close of the war, Gen. EWELL has not taken any prominent part in public affairs, his failing health being one of the principal causes. Accepting the result of the war as an established fact, he imitated his chieftain, LEE, in not seeking to recall the issues of the past. As an evidence of his sincerity, Gen. EWELL, while awaiting death, gave some directions regarding his tomb-stone. He laid particular stress upon the fact that he did not desire any word employed in the inscription that could reflect in any way upon the Government of the United States.
The New York Times; Jan 26, 1872, contributed by K. Rogers

Interesting Particulars of the Last Illness and Death of this Confederate Leader -- Almost Simultaneous Death of His Wife -- His Dying Wishes Respecting the Inscription Upon His Tombstone
From the Nashville (Tenn.) Banner, Jan. 26.

The citizens of this community were deeply pained, though not surprised, to hear the Lieut.Gen. R.S. EWELL had breathed his last early yesterday morning, at his residence near Spring Hill, Maury County. The intelligence which had been received during the previous two or three days, as to his condition, had prepared us all to expect the worst. Following close upon the decease of his wife, the sad event created a feeling of depression which was visible on every countenance.

Gen. EWELL was sick only fifteen days. On the sixth day of his illness he had grown so much better, and was in such good spirits, that he desired the windows of his room to be raised for the admission of the cool, invigorating air. But the effect was too severe for his weakened system, and he sank into a relapse and never rallied. For the eight or nine days which followed, he was alternately better and worse -- hanging all the time between life and death. His noble, warm-hearted wife, who had anxiously and vigilantly watched beside his sick-bed, through weariness and want of rest, succumbed to the same fatal disease. Though no one had announced to him her death, he said that he guessed the terrible truth, because he saw that "a pall had fallen upon the house." His senses had become so keenly susceptible to everything transpiring around him, that even the thoughts of his attendants seemed laid bare to his perception.

After he made his will and other arrangements for the disposition of his property, and after he had been informed that his race was almost run, he remarked, with the calm simplicity characteristic of him, "I don't want any monument raised over me; only a plain head-stone and foot-stone, like those over the graves of my father and mother in Virginia. My rank while in the Confederate service might be inscribed upon one of the stones, but I wishing nothing in the inscription which will cast any reflection upon the Government of the United States."

Gen. EWELL had been in the habit of wearing a pair of blue infantry pantaloons, which he had purchased subsequent to the war. Upon one occasion, not long before his death, and when he could speak only with the greatest difficulty, he said of them, "After all my fighting against the United States so long, it is strange that an old pair of infantry pantaloons should kill me at last." He attributed his death to having put them on during the cold weather after having worn a much thicker pair.

As to his funeral, he said that he wanted no display, no pomp, no parade over his remains, but simply wished that his comrades and friends, if they desired, might show their respect in a plain and unostentatious way.

When the corpse of his wife, shrouded and in the coffin, was taken into his room, just previous to their being sent to Nashville, Wednesday morning, he was raised up from his pillow that he might look upon her face for the last time. He was too weak to show any emotion, but whispered a wish that both might take place at the same time, and both be laid side by side in the same grave. "They were beautiful in their lives, and in death they were not divided."

Last Wednesday night respiration became so difficult that Gen. EWELL could not speak. That evening, as well as during three or four days previous, very few of his friends were admitted to his chamber, as it was absolutely necessary that he should not be disturbed. Though denied the power of speech, he retained his mental faculties until the last, and indicated his wants by signs. He died at 2 1/2 o'clock yesterday morning, calmly, peacefully, without a single struggle. His countenance wore a look of placid resignation, and was more life-like in expression after than a short time before his death. Gen. EWELL's remains will be interred in the City Cemetery, by the side of the wife whom he loved so well.

It was at Richmond, during the latter part of the war, the the union between Gen. EWELL and Mrs. LAZINKA BROWN, daughter of the late Judge CAMPBELL, one of Tennessee's most distinguished public men, was consummated. The marriage proved an eminently happy one. Immediately after his release from prison they came to Tennessee. He found ample and congenial occupation in superintending the farm near Spring Hill upon which they resided. His neighbors often remarked that he was not less successful as a stock-raiser than as a General. No man in Tennessee ever exhibited more interest in improving the breeds of cattle and sheep.

The New York Times, Jan. 29, 1872, page 5, contributed by K. Rogers

Hardin Fox, son of Widow Fox, was killed Wednesday of last week when wagon turned over, mashing him. He lived 10 minutes; wife and one child survive; lived near Leftwich in Maury County.
Maury Democrat, Columbia, TN, 13 Dec 1888 - Transcribed by AJ

Louise Williams Glasscock, age 93, a resident of Scottsdale Arizona, passed away on Wednesday, August 26, at Maury Regional Medical Center.Williams Funeral Home of Columbia will be in charge of local arrangements.Born October 1, 1915, in Cleveland, Miss., and daughter of the late Fred and Alice Taylor Williams. She was the widow of the late Robert Wilson and the late James Glasscock. Louise was a homemaker and also known as Rosie the Riveter on B-25 in Memphis during World War II. She was of Baptist Faith.She is survived by two sons: Garth (Sandy) Wilson of Franklin, TN and Gary (Nell) Wilson of Greenwood, Miss; grandchildren: David Wilson of Franklin, TN and Becky Stopkotte of Fishers, IN; five great-grandchildren.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Alice Marie Gordon, age 73 passed away on August 24, 2009. Marie was a loving Christian, wife, mother, grandmother and sister.She was loved and respected by family, members of Bellevue church of Christ, coworkers, business associates, neighbors and other friends. She is survived by her husband of 53 years, Joel E. Gordon; sons, Dr. Timothy (Maribeth) Gordon of Columbia, TN; David (Melissa) Gordon of Nashville, TN; grandchildren, Will, Jennifer, Leslie, Andrew Gordon; sisters, Robbie (Johnny) Burress, Margaret Ruth (Edwin) Day; numerous nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews. Visitation will be on Tuesday August 25, 2009 from 4-8 pm at Harpeth Hills Funeral Home and on Wednesday August 26, 2009 from 9-10 am at Bellevue church of Christ with Funeral services to follow at 10 am with Dr. Marlin Connelly and Steve Blackman officiating. Graveside service will follow at 2 pm at Chapel Hill Church cemetery in Huron, TN, with Dr. Lewis Moorer officiating.In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Alive Hospice. HARPETH HILLS FUNERAL HOME, 9090 HWY 100, (615) 646-9292.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Bruce DeWayne Hicks, 26, a resident of Lake Drive in Columbia, passed away Tuesday, August 18 in Riverside, CA.A celebration of Bruces life will be held Thursday at 2:00 PM in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with Rev. Greg McCoy, Rev. John Rushing and Jerry Strahan officiating. Internment will follow in the Rose Hill Cemetery.The family will visit with friends Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00 PM at the funeral home.Born January 22, 1983 in Covington, KY, Bruce was the son of Brenda Hicks Siegel of Columbia and Kenneth Hicks of Sparta, KY. He attended Culleoka and Mt. Pleasant schools and was a member of Friendship Baptist Church. A graduate of Volunteer Trucking School, he was employed at Rajor Trucking of Spring Hill.In addition to his parents, he is survived by his brothers: Brian Douglas (Jessica) Hicks of Columbia and PFC Bradley Victor Hicks of South Korea; very special nephew: Avory Taten Hicks of Columbia; special aunts and uncles: Sharon & Lloyd Gray of Culleoka, Darlene & Kenneth Powell of Louisville, KY, Doug & Betty Brown of Corbin, KY, Vada & Doug Haley of Knoxville and Phyllis & Glenda Hicks of Union, KY; cousins: Kimberly, Gary, Kaeli, Ciera and Korbin Riggs, Kelli and Jack Beaty, Allen and Dallas Alvey, all of Louisville, Stephanie, Brian, Brittany and Nick Munsie, all of Columbia and Jenny Rhodes of Union, KY.; his fishing buddy: Ray Lentz. He was preceded in death by his grandparents: Roxie Brown, H.T. Brown, Earl and Sophie Hicks. Pallbearers will be Brian Douglas Hicks, PFC Bradley Hicks, Brian Munsie, David Smithson, Dan Noland, Allen Alvey, Kenneth Hoder and Ray Lentz. Honorary pallbearers will be the employees of Rajor Trucking.
Daily Herald, August 26, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Mattie Byrd Holland, 54, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., formerly of Louisiana, died Tuesday, August 25, 2009, at her residence.Visitation with the family will be Saturday, August 29, 2009, from 12:00-1:00 p.m. at Miracle Temple of Deliverance with services to follow at 1:00 p.m. at the Church with pastor Jimmy Davis officiating.V.K. Ryan & Son Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.A native of Rhymes, Louisiana she was the daughter of Samuel and Wornest Byrd. She was a member of the graduating class of Richwood High School and attended the University Louisiana at Monroe, formally known as Northeast Louisiana University, where she studied banking She worked for Central Bank in Monroe Louisiana and Shreveport, Louisiana for over 20 years. She relocated in Nashville, Tenn., where she was employed by the First American Bank of Nashville, Tenn., as a Supervisor until her retirement because of illness.She was a faithful and dedicated member of Mount Zion Baptist Church and worked faithfully in establishing and directing a Drill Team at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church in Nashville, Tenn. Her last days of spiritual growth and ministering came from the Miracle Temple of Deliverance under the leadership of Pastor Jimmy Davis. She was preceded in death by her father Samuel Byrd Sr.Survivors include her husband of 37 years, Herman Holland; one daughter Katrina Holland Jones of Lake Charles, La., and one son, Lamar OShay Holland of Nashville, Tenn.; her mother, Wornest Johnson Byrd of Monroe, La.; five brothers, Samuel Byrd Jr., Tommie Byrd, (Beverly), Allen Byrd, (Brenda) of Monroe, La., James Byrd (Wilma) of Shreveport, La., and Donald Ray Byrd of Austin, Texas; four sisters, Dorothy Henderson, Donna Grimes of Monroe, La., Thelma Wright (James) of Houghton, La., Geneva Cain (Curtis) of Jacksonville, Fla.; five grandchildren and a host of aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews cousins and other relatives and friends.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Nellie Frances Holt, 87, died on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009, at National HealthCare in Pulaski.Services will be 1 p.m. Friday at Carr & Erwin Funeral Home in Pulaski. Burial will follow in Pleasant Hill Cemetery.Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.She was a native of Giles County, was retired from the Giles County School System (Bridgeforth School) and a member of the New Zion Baptist Church. She was preceded in death by parents Charles Dickey and Edna Mae Walls Southerland, husband Leonadus Holt, son Bennie Holt and daughters Gladys Holt and Pam Glover. Survivors include daughters Kathy Bowles, Ann Storey and Bonnie Malone, all of Pulaski; sons Leon Holt of Pulaski, Gail Holt of Rose Hill, Tommy, Jerry, Rickey and Tony Holt, all of Pulaski; 35 grandchildren, 73 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.
Daily Herald, August 26, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Dr. Alfred Smithwick Horsley - Funeral services for Dr. Alfred Smithwick Horsley, 88, were held at 4 p.m. Wednesday at Columbia with Rev. C. B. Cook officiating. Burial was in Rose Hill cemetery with Masonic rites. Dr. Horsley, a retired eye, ear, nose and throat specialist, died early Tuesday at his home in Columbia. He suffered a fracture of the hip in a fall several days ago. Dr. Horsley was a native of Maury County. His parents were John W. and Martha Bradshaw Horsley. He studied medicine at the University of Tennessee, Johns Hopkins, Tulane and the University of Chicago. He first practiced in Knoxville and later was a surgeon in connection with railroad construction in Central and South America. He returned to Columbia in 1905 and practiced there until 1946, when he retired and moved to a farm near Murfreesboro. He returned to Columbia two years ago. His wife, Mrs. Pearl Adkins Horsley, died in 1941. Dr. Horsley was a Mason. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Bedford Keen, Columbia; a granddaughter, and a great-granddaughter.
(Hickman County Times, Thursday, August 6, 1953) - transcribed by Rita Morgan

Loyd Huckaby, Jr., age 73, a resident of Tindell Lane in Columbia, passed away on Thursday, August 27, at Maury Regional Medical Center.Graveside services will be conducted Saturday at 10:00 A.M. at Polk Memorial Gardens with Rev. Jeff Jacob officiating.The family will visit with friends on Friday from 5:00 - 8:00 P.M. at the Williams Funeral Home in Columbia.The Maury County native was born November 29, 1935, the son of the late Loyd Huckaby, Sr. and Emmie White Huckaby. He was the husband of Elaine Green Huckaby for 51 years. Loyd was retired from Monsanto Solutia in the maintenance department and worked for Robins Security. Loyd was a member of Cattlemens Association and raised and showed Tennessee Walking Horses.Survivors in addition to his wife include a son: Kerry (Kara) Huckaby of Columbia; one sister, Mary Elizabeth Dodson of Columbia; one brother: Norman Dale (Jean) Huckaby of Murfreesboro; two grandchildren: Jackson Loyd Huckaby and Linton Blaine Huckaby of Columbia; many nieces, nephews and cousins. Honorary pallbearers will be Charlie and Theola Hood, Jeff Crosslin, Jeff Green and Pete and Louise Banks.Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, 222 West 7th St., Columbia, TN 38401 or Craft Memorial United Methodist Church, 907 Hatcher Lane, Columbia, TN 38401.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Colonel James S. Hutton, died in Nashville.Mr.Hutton, a noted artist ,painted the scenery in Columbia's old GRAND THEATER in 1880s, now THE PRINCESS. He assised in painting sceneries of many local theater productions here in Columbia.
SPRINGHILL INFORMER/DUCK RIVER CHRONICLES January 25,1930 - Submitted by genemeier@frontier.com

Mary C. Parham Hyatt, age 85, a resident of Les Robinson Road in Columbia, passed away on Wednesday, August 26, at Sterling House.Funeral services for Mrs. Hyatt will be conducted Monday at 11:00 A.M. in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with John Hayes officiating. Burial will follow in the Santa Fe Cemetery.The family will visit with friends on Sunday from 2:00 - 5:00 P.M. at the funeral home.Born March 25, 1924 in Pontiac, MI, she was the daughter of the late Hensley Parham and Orlee Foster Parham. Mary was the wife of the late William Bill Hyatt who preceded her in death on June 8 of this year. She worked for a number of years at Bachs Department Store in Birmingham, AL, and was a volunteer in the gift shop at Maury Regional Medical Center. Mrs. Hyatt was a member of the Beechcroft Church of Christ.Survivors include her children: Pamela Stowell of Columbia, Donna (Keith) Kalman of Houston, TX and David (Margie) Hyatt of Birmingham; grandchildren: Jeffrey A. Stowell of Nashville, Michael L. Stowell of San Francisco, CA, Amanda Kalman and Kathryne Kalman, both of Houston, TX; two brothers: Tom (Billie) Parham of Centerville and Robert Parham of Nashville. She was preceded in death by one sister: Alice Humphrey and two brothers: Harry Parham and Billy Parham.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Gregg John Jimenez, 36, truck driver for Williamson County Ready-Mix and resident of Bragg Road, died Monday, Oct. 29, 2007, at Maury Regional Hospital. Services will be conducted at 1 p.m. Friday at Oakes & Nichols Funeral Home with the Rev. Ron Paul officiating. Burial will be in Polk Memorial Gardens with military honors provided by Tennessee National Guard 1,175th Transportation Company. The family will visit with friends Thursday after noon at the funeral home. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, P.O. Box 840692, Dallas, TX, 75284-0692. Notes of sympathy may be sent to the family at www.oakesandnichols.com. The Saginaw, Mich., native was the son of Ramon R. Olivares of Auburn Hills, Mich., and the late Rosalinda J. Olivares. He was a 1990 graduate of Pontiac Northern High School and attended Columbia State Community College in the Respiratory Care Program. He was currently serving in the Tennessee National Guard 1,175th Transportation Co. and served eight years in the United States Army stationed in Fort Campbell and Italy. He served in Iraq during Desert Storm and also in Panama. Mr. Jimenez was a member of Harvest Baptist Church. Survivors in addition to his father include his wife, Rhonda Jimenez of Columbia; two daughters, Rayna Michele Jimenez, Talia Rose Jimenez both of Columbia; sister, Salina Stinson of Auburn Hills, MI; brother, Ramon (Nicole) Olivarez Jr. of Chapel Hill; two nieces, Rosalinda Olivarez, Tanya Sierra; nephew, Christopher Grubbs; and grandmothers, Agnes Jimenez and Esmeregilda Olivares and brother-in-law Anthony Stinson. He was preceded in death by a sister, Tanya Olivarez; grandfathers, Thomas Jimenez and Ernesto Olivares; and two special cousins, Joseph Jimenez and Luis Camocho. Family and friends will serve as pallbearers. Honorary pallbearers will be employees of Williamson County Ready-Mix and the Tennessee National Guard.
Daily Herald, The (Columbia, TN) - October 31, 2007, Contributed by Darlene Anderson

Capt. H. C. Klyce, - The Christian soldier, Capt. H. C. Klyce, passed into the great beyond on the morning of December 15, 1915, aged seventy-seven years. He was born in Maury County, Tenn., in 1838, but removed to Mississippi in 1855 and continued to make his home in that State. His life was that of a Christian gentleman. For forty years he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal -Church, and for twenty years he was superintendent of its Sunday school.
Captain Klyce enlisted as a private in the first company organized in his section of the State, and at the close of the war he was captain of Company I, igth Tennessee Regiment, Bells Brigade, Forrest's command. He was with Forrest in most of his campaigns and was at Fort Pillow, on the raid into Memphis, at Brice's Crossroads, Harrisburg, Sulphur Trestle, Athens, Johnsonville. He was also with him in Hood's campaign into Tennessee and helped to cover Hood's retreat out of the State, then on to Selma and the finish, surrendering with Forrest at Gainesville, Ala.
Confederate Veterans 1916, Contributed by Tina Easley

Charles Knight, who was shot by Will Green, near Columbia, died Sunday night from the effects of the bullet wounds. The difficulty grew out of a dispute over a partition fence. Both parties are prominent citizens of Maury county, and the affair has caused considerable excitement.
Dickson County Herald, March 25, 1910

KENNEDY - Died, at the residence of his father, near Columbia, Tenn., Sept. 23rd, 1841. ROBERT W.. son of Hon. William E. and Mrs. Elizabeth. O. KENNEDY, in the 13th year of his age. Also. Oct. 7th. Mrs. ELIZABETH O. KENNEDY, his mother. Robert was a first-born son. five other children in succession had fallen victims to the relentless destroyer of our race. An infant daughter was an only surviving child. Mrs. K. was herself the last surviving child of Nathaniel Willis. Esq. She was born in Georgia but removed to this State in early life.
(10 February 1842 - "Watchman of the South" - Submitted by B. Ziegenmeyer)

Nadie Lee Gary Ladd, 91, retired Maury County School teacher and longtime resident of the Turkey Creek Community, died Friday, January 6, 2006 at Life Care Center. Mrs. Ladd had donated her body to Vanderbilt University Medical School. A graveside inurnment service will be conducted at 11 a.m., Saturday, July 19, 2008 at Goshen Methodist Cemetery with Rev. Sherry Ladd officiating. Memorials may be made to Maury County Library, 211 West Eighth Street, Columbia, Tennessee 38401. Notes of sympathy may be sent to the family at www.oakesandnichols.com. A native of Fountain Inn, South Carolina, she was the daughter of the late Eustace E. Gary and Fanny Thompson Gary. She was married to Tom Rye Ladd who preceded her in death on March 23, 1999. She received her education at Fountain Inn High School and Winthrop College in Rock Hill, South Carolina, where she was valedictorian of her graduating class. She taught school in South Carolina, Florida and in Maury County for twenty-six years. She retired from Central High School in 1976. Mrs. Ladd was a member of Williamsport United Methodist Church and a former member of Williamsport United Methodist Women; Williamsport Women's Club; Captain James Sparkman Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy; Thomas McKissick Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution; Maury County Retired Teachers; Tennessee Retired Teachers; the Student's Club; and the Maury County Library Board. Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Judy (B.L.) Melton of Santa Fe; three sons, Thomas Gary Ladd and George (Sherry) Ladd, both of Santa Fe, Ronald (Robin) Ladd of Seminole, Florida; one sister, Mrs. Edith Nuckolls of Bristol; four granddaughters, Mrs. Merry Marticia (David) Naramore, Miss Michelle Marie Ladd, Mrs. Melody (Tommy) Neal, Miss Patricia Renee Ladd; one grandson, Thomas Rye Ladd, II; five great grandchildren, Katherine Hillis, Adrianna Neal, Jonathan Neal, Cheyenne Naramore, Amber Naramore; and special friends, Doris Alderson, Louise Brown, Carolyn Wiley, and all her sitters.
Daily Herald, The (Columbia, TN) - July 17, 2008, Contributed by Darlene Anderson

LAMAR, ELIZA KILPATRICK - Funeral services for Mrs. Eliza Kilpatrick Lamar, 80, were held Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Mount Joy Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Maury County. The Rev. Robert Hall officiating. Burial was in McClain cemetery. Mrs. Lamar died Sunday at her home in Mount Joy after a long illness. A native of Perry County, she was the daughter of William and Melvin Cooper Kilpatrick. She was a member of the Mount Joy Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Her husband, James Thomas Lamar, died in 1918. She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Newt Irwin, Miss Nellie Lamar, and Mrs. Clint Dale; two sons, Whitfield and Thomas Lamar, all of Mount Pleasant; a brother, John Kilpatrick of Linden; a sister, Mrs. Betty McClain of Hohenwald; 15 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
(The Hickman County Times, Thursday, April 2, 1953) (Submitted by Rita Morgan)

Chancellor Seth S. W. Lucky died in Jonesboro on Friday week last, and interred in that town with marks of high respect on Sunday.
Memphis Daily Avalanche (27 Apr. 1869) - transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Peggy Marie Stewart McCormick, age 67, a resident of Roberts Bend Road in Columbia, passed away on Thursday, August 27, at Maury Regional Medical Center.Funeral services for Mrs. McCormick will be conducted Monday at 2:00 P.M. in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with Rev. Bob Vassar, Rev. Peter Sierson and Rev. Dr. Ron Brown officiating. Burial will follow in Polk Memorial Gardens.Peggy was born February 6, 1942 in Harrison Co, Texas, the daughter of Mrs. Frances Randolph Stewart of Marshall, TX and the late L.C. Stewart. She was the wife of 49 years of Joe McCormick, Sr., of Columbia. Peggy graduated with honors from Marshall High School in Texas. She had worked as a secretary at St. Peters Episcopal Church as well as a teller at Maury Federal and Transfinancial Banks in Columbia. Peggy was a very talented arts and crafts creator, especially Egg Art and Bead Weaving. Her designs were published in several national art magazines.Peggy was a devoted wife and mother, always putting her family first. She was a woman of great love and compassion. She supported a long list of ministries and charitable organizations in Columbia and around the world. She firmly believed that everyone will be held accountable for their stewardship of what God has given them. Peggy had her born-again experience at an early age and never doubted it. She was a member of Pleasant Heights Baptist Church at the time of her death.Survivors in addition to her husband and mother include her children: Joe (Kathy) McCormick, Jr. of Nashville and Sonja McCormick of Columbia; brothers: Michael (Cheryl) Stewart of Marshall, TX, Bill (Tanya) Stewart of Longview, TX, David (Joyce) Stewart of WA and Wesley (Denise) Stewart of Hallsville, TX. Peggy is also survived by many nieces and nephews. Pallbearers will be Jimmy Tidwell, Joe Garten, Barry Crotzer, Bill Moody, Steve Vernon, Don Devore, Mike Flynt, Tom Stegall and Don Campbell. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Mens Sunday School Class of Pleasant Heights Baptist Church.Memorials may be made to the American Bible Society, P.O. Box 98011, Washington, DC 20090-8011 (www.americanbible.org), Feed The Children, P.O. Box 36, Oklahoma City, OK 73101 (www.feedthechildren.org), Hope House, 2441 Park Plus, Columbia, TN or to Pleasant Heights Baptist Church, 2712 Trotwood Avenue, Columbia, TN 38401.
Daily Herald, August 29, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

SSG Carey T. MOORE, age 22, of Thompsons Station, Tenn. died August 17, 2009. He entered the military June 2005 and served in two tours in Iraq, Alpha Company/1-502 IN 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. He was a graduate of Centennial High School, an avid sportsman, and especially loved the outdoor sports. He was a loving husband, father to his stepchildren and awaiting his new son due in December. He is survived by wife, Crystal Moore; mother, Renee Edwards (Justin) Spicer; father, Thomas (Jill) Moore; unborn son, Noah Carey Moore; stepchildren, Nathan and Natalie Horton; sister, Mallory Moore; grandparents, James and Joyce Edwards; half-brothers, Timothy, Patrick and Brady Moore; stepbrothers, Jake, Zack and Luke Spicer; stepsister, Alicia (Jason) Smith; several aunts, uncles, cousins and loving family members; and mother-in-law, Karen Taylor. Services were conducted at 3 p.m. Sunday, August 23, 2009 at Williamson Memorial Funeral Home with Chaplain Joel A. Kelley officiating. Interment Williamson Memorial Gardens with full military honors. Military personnel served as pallbearers. Memorials may be made to the Noah Carey Moore Educational Fund, c/o US Bank. Williamson Memorial Funeral Home, (615) 794-2289.
Daily Herald, August 17, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Ronnie Parsons, age 52, a resident of Hampshire Pike in Columbia, passed away on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2009, in Cookeville, TN.Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with the Rev. John Rushing officiating.The family will visit with friends from 5-8 p.m. Monday at the funeral home.The Memphis native was born Dec. 13, 1956, the son of Mrs. Norma Evans Knox of Columbia and the late Alfred L. Parsons Sr. Ronnie was a veteran of the U.S. Navy. He was a car hauler for Allied Systems. Ronnie loved to gather with his family and friends, play guitar, sing and fish.Survivors in addition to his mother include his children: Kerry Parsons of Great Falls, Mont., Brandon Parsons of Covington and Melissa Mitchell of Decaturville; stepdaughters: Rebecca Herzog and Diane Short both of Columbia; brothers: Alfred L. Parsons Jr., Tommy Craig, Jerry Craig and Jimmy Craig, all of Columbia and Johnny Parsons of Tupelo, Miss.; a brother-in-law: Clarence Edgmon of Columbia; one sister: Lorelei Gail Edgmon of Columbia; a sister-in-law: Michele Craig of Columbia; grandchildren: Hannah, Ethan, Cody, Shelby, Alisha, Conte, Dayton and Haley; his fianc/e, Alison Luttrell of Drummonds; former wife, Mary Parsons of Columbia and special family members: Thelma T.J. Estes, Josh, Cassie and Daniel Craig. In addition to his father, he was preceded in death by a brother, Floyd Craig, Jr.
Daily Herald, August 25, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

J.C. Patterson, 79, died Saturday, Aug. 22, 2009, at NHC of Pulaski.Services will be conducted at noon Tuesday at Greater Richland Creek Association Building with the Rev. C.L. Parks officiating. Visitation will be from 11 a.m.-noon at Church Queen Ann Funeral Home.He was a member of Old Mt. Zion Baptist Church. Survivors include his wife, Naomi Patterson of Pulaski; his sons, Jacky and Terence Patterson of Pulaski; his daughters, Shelby Reynolds and Brenda Patterson; his brother, Raymond Patterson; his sisters Willie Mae Houston, Clara Braden and Glady Jones, all of Pulaski; five grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.
Daily Herald, August 24, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

BIRDY S. PAUL, 71 of 202 W. Dement, Polo, died this morning at KSB Hospital in Dixon. Funeral services will be Friday at 1:30 p.m. in the Benson-Brown-Seidel Funeral home with the Rev. Monte Cox, pastor of the Open Bible Church, officiating. Burial will be in Chapel Hill Cemetery in Dixon. Visitation will be Thursday from 5-8:30 with the family present from 7-8:30 p.m. Mrs. Paul was born Dec. 15, 1913 in Jonesboro, Tenn., the daughter of Shelby and Loretta McNicols Riddle. On Nov. 26, 1938 she married Russel Paul in Maquoketa, Ia. The deceased was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Polo and the Polo VFW Ladies Auxiliary.
The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois July 24, 1985 - Wednesday, pg A4
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor

Mrs. Lucius J. Polk, August 1. Hamilton place Maury county Tenn. R.R. August 25, 1847
(Source: Marriages and Death Notices in Raleigh Register and North Carolina State Gazette 1846-1855) contributed by, Linda Rodriguez

William H. Polk, of Columbia, Maury county, Tennessee, died at Nashville, December 16th. He was the younger brother of ex-President Polk, and a true Union man.
(Source: The State Republican (Eugene City, OR) – Saturday, January 31, 1863 contributed by, Jim Dezotell

PORTER, JOHN MORGAN - John Morgan Porter, 91, member of a prominent Maury County family, died at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at his home on Nashville Highway. Funeral services were to be held today at 10 a.m. at Oakes and Nichols Funeral Home in Columbia. The Rev. C. B. Cook, pastor of the First Methodist Church, the Rev. Fred Blankenship, pastor of Belle Meade Methodist Church will officiate and burial will be in Rose Hill Cemetery in Columbia. Mr. Porter was born in Maury County May 25, 1861, and was the last of 17 children of Richard Lewis and Annie Walker Porter. He was a retired railroad employee and contractor. He had been a member of First Methodist Church here for 84 years. Survivors include his daughter, Mrs. T. G. Wilkins; one son, J. C. Porter, both of Columbia; four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
(The Hickman County Times, Thursday, April 2, 1953) (Submitted by Rita Morgan)

Kip Reel, a former superintendent who led Maury County schools through a difficult time and made a significant mark on education both locally and statewide has succumbed to cancer. He was 60 years old. Kip Reel died Friday morning at Williamson County Medical Center, leaving behind a deep educational legacy that touched many in Maury County. Jerry Battles, a former superintendent for Maury schools, said Reel had an innate ability to "keep the focus on children and what was best for them." Reel wore many hats during his career - from superintendent to state education commissioner to teacher. "He was just as comfortable being a substitute bus driver as he was in the board room," Battles said. Reel served as director of Maury County schools from 2000-04 and director of business and finance for the district from 1995-98. He came to the county after serving as assistant commissioner of education with the state, where he played a role in the landmark Education Improvement Act of 1992. The education law established accountability standards for Tennessee public schools and required superintendents be appointed by an elected school board. After his stint as director of schools in Maury County, Reel led the Tennessee Organization of School Superintendents. He then accepted a job as director of schools for Henderson County, a position he held until he stepped down recently because of illness. Reel took the educational leadership reins at a tumultuous time in Maury County. In 2000, he stepped in as interim director when Director of Schools Christy Lentz was terminated amid accusations from board members of misconduct and insubordination. Two years later, he was appointed director of schools and served until 2004, when he was succeeded by Eddie Hickman. Bob Duncan, the county's historian, said Reel played a key role in helping the district weather the political storm. "He kind of brought calm back to things," said Duncan, who is Reel's cousin, once removed. In addition to education, Reel also enjoyed refurbishing log cabins and was a history buff. He leaves behind his wife, Mary Sneed Reel, who is director of Milan city schools, along with two grown sons and a 1-year-old child. Services will be held 7 p.m. Thursday at the Tennessee State Museum, 505 Deaderick St., Nashville. Arrangements are being handled by McDonald Funeral Home in Centerville. When not pondering and discussing education, Reel enjoyed spending days on the family farm in Madison County, where he would mend fences, work cattle and make sausage. "Making sausage is a whole lot like politics," Reel said in an interview with an education journal in 2005. "It's a whole lot of fun for some folks and pretty messy business for some others. I'm just glad I fall in the first category."
Daily Herald, The (Columbia, TN) - March 15, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Joe Rosenthal, one of the best known and wealthiest merchants of Columbia, died in the sixty-seventh year of his age, from the effects of a stroke of paralysis. He had been a merchant for the past thirty-five years and leaves an estate valued at $230,000.
Dickson County Herald, January 7, 1910 - transcribed by, Amanda Jowers

Ruth Johnson Rutledge, age 76. Franklin, TN. August 26, 2009.Retired from South Central Bell with 38 years. Member of the Telephone Pioneers. Preceded in death by parents, Daniel Phillip and Margaret Florence Jennette Johnson. Survived by husband, Bobby A. Rutledge, Franklin, TN; sons, Bobby Alden (Michelle) Rutledge, Jr., Thompson Station, TN and Darin K. Rutledge, Franklin, TN; brother, Dennis N. (Carolyn) Johnson, Franklin, TN; sister, Melba (Milford) Brown, Spring Hill, TN; and grandchildren, Logan, Morgan, Dustin and Hunter Rutledge. Services will be conducted 2:00PM Saturday, August 29, 2009 at Williamson Memorial Funeral Home, Rev. John Hyden officiating. Interment Mt. Hope Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Bobby Russell, Brian Frazier, James Wells, Harold Parks, Milford Brown, Jeff Case and Jeff Officer. Honorary pallbearers will be Ben Gary, James Gary, Joe Spencer Gary and Billy Officer. Memorials may be made to Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 615 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064. Visitation 4-8PM Friday and one hour prior to service Saturday at WILLIAMSON MEMORIAL FUNERAL HOME. 615 794-2289.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Christopher (Chris) Sajovic, age 36, a resident of Joy Road in Mt. Pleasant passed away on Tuesday, August 25, in Williamson County.Funeral services for Chris will be conducted Friday August 28, at 6:00 P.M. at Williams Funeral Home in Mt. Pleasant with Brother Randy Kersey and Brother David Derryberry officiating.The family will visit with friends on Friday from 3:00 - 6:00 P.M. until service time at the funeral home.Chris was born on March 7, 1973 in Cleveland, Ohio was the son of the Frank Sajovic of Mt. Pleasant and the late Veronica Mangrum Sajovic. He was a self-employed mechanic and was of Christian Faith.In addition to his father, he is survived by a son: Austin Sajovic of Columbia; two brothers: Andy and Liz Sajovic of Culleoka and John and Shannon Sajovic of Columbia; Jennifer Sajovic the mother of his son; six nieces: Brittany and Matt Feagans of Mobile, AL, Bethany Sajovic of Santa Fe, Courtney finace Zach Scott Sajovic of Columbia, Kristie Sajovic of Santa Fe, Jubilee Sajovic of Lawrenceburg and Jayda Sajovic of Culleoka; a nephew: Wesley Sajovic of Culleoka; one uncle: Howard Mangrum of Mt. Pleasant; one aunt: Mary Mangrum of Dickson , TN; two cousins: Case Mangrum and Jeremy Mangrum of Florida. Pallbearers will be Austin Sajovic, John Sajvoic, Andy Sajovic, Ricky Sherrill, Brett DeVitt and Daniel Bobo.Honorary pallbearers will be Dwayne Carter, DeWayne Roberts, Shannon Sutliffe and Brannon Sutliffe.Memorial may be set up for his son, Austin Sajovic at First Farmers and Merchants Bank, 816 South Garden St. Columbia, TN 38401.
Daily Herald, August 28, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Anna Bell Bray Scott, age 89, a resident of River Heights Drive in Columbia, passed away on Sunday, August 23, at Maury Regional Medical Center.Funeral services for Mrs. Scott will be conducted Wednesday at 11:00 AM in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia with Rev. Donald Pruitt officiating. Burial will be Thursday at 2:00 PM EST in Rose Lawn Cemetery in Marion, VA.The family will visit with friends on Tuesday from 5:00 - 7:00 P.M. at the funeral home.Born March 11, 1920 in Marion, VA, daughter of the late Steven and Effie Crouse Bray. Mrs. Scott retired as a cafeteria worker from Southwestern State Hospital.She is survived by her son: Henry Bray of Columbia. She was preceded in death by 3 brothers.
Daily Herald, August 25, 2009, contributed by Darlene Anderson

Mrs. E. Sevier - JONESBORO, February 26. – The remains of Mrs. E. Sevier, widow of the late Capt. James Sevier, and who died at Bristol on the 24th inst., were buried here today, the funeral services being held at the First Presbyterian church.
Daily Journal and Journal and Tribune (27 Feb. 1890) - transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Raymond Monroe Walls, Sr., September 6, 1954 – December 12, 2010 - Raymond Monroe Walls was born in Columbia, Tennessee on September 6, 1954. He was the son of the late Raymond Hicks Walls and the late Thelma (Tosh) Walls. He was a graduate of Monroe High School. Raymond later attended technical school.
He married the former Darlene (Weinstein) in Monroe, Michigan on March 20, 1973. From this union came the birth of three sons. For more than fourteen years Raymond supported his family as a Boiler Operator for Voss Industries a Steel manufacturing facility. He left there in 2009.
Raymond was a loving husband, father, and brother. He was a very trustworthy and giving man, not at all a complainer. Although, Raymond was a private person, maybe even considered a loner to some he was an individual who would come running whenever he was needed. Raymond had a special place in his heart for his two Yorkies, “Princess” and “Baby”. He was filled with love for family and friends. Raymond enjoyed hunting, but secretly scared the animals away so they wouldn’t get shot.
Raymond Monroe Walls Sr. age 56 of Monroe passed away on Sunday, December 12, 2010. He was a wonderful family member who will be greatly missed.
Raymond leaves to cherish his memory a beloved wife: Darlene (Weinstein) Walls; three children: Raymond II (Candy Dodge) of Newport, John Paul (Jill) Walls of Newport, Richard Walls (Mechelle Hawkins) of Monroe; three brothers: Sam (Evangelina) Vassallo of Newport, Ray Walls (Barbara Eads) of Monroe, and Ronald (Sharon) Walls of Monroe; and one sister: Anna Ingram of Newport; grandchildren: Travis and Trevor Walls, Tyler and Autumn Walls, Amanda and Katie Kurtz, Miriah and Sabrina Hawkins, and Brendon Walls and Richard Walls Jr.; and one great grandson: Travis Walls Jr.
Friends may gather from 11:00am until 2:00pm, Thursday, December 16, 2010 at Merkle Funeral Service, 2442 North Monroe Street (734) 384-5185. A Celebration of His Life will take place at 2:00pm with the Rev. Cliff Ervin pastor of Brest Bay Missionary Baptist Church officiating. Procession will follow to St. Joseph Cemetery in Monroe for burial.
Merkle Funeral Service, Monroe County, Michigan, contributed by Carole