Genealogy Trails History Group
TIPTON COUNTY, TN

HISTORICAL MARKERS

 

 United Methodist Church Historical Marker

Munford

United Methodist Church

 

In 1840, Mt. Zion Church on the Randolph Circuit was organized by Rev. Isaac Sullivan.  In 1866 it was moved to town and renamed.  The present building was built in 1911.   This was the only church in the community for 71 years.  With the support of this church, the Dyersburg District Training School was developed in 1887 by the M. E. Church, South. under the direction of Rev. W. H. Adams.  It served this area until 1924 when it was sold to Tipton County for their public school system.   With God's help, these pioneer Methodists faithfully accepted responsibility for religion, education and community development.

 

Erected by The Memphis Conference Commission on Archives and History 1990

(This marker is located in Munford)

Randolph, TN Historical Marker 

RANDOLPH

6 1/2 miles.  This Mississippi River hamlet was Memphis' early rival for commercial supremacy & was the state's biggest western shipping point in 1830.  It declined after David Crockett's plan for Hatchie-Tennessee River canal failed.  The town was burned to the ground during the War Between the States.

Tennessee Historical Commission

(This marker is located on Hwy 51 at the crossroad of Atoka and Munford)

 Photobucket

JOE BROWN BIVOUAC, U. C. V.

In 1898, the Joe Brown Bivouac, United Confederate Veterans, was established as a social, historical, and benevolent organization.  It was named in honor of Joseph Brown of Covington, who in 1864 was mortally wounded at the Battle of Harrisburg, Mississippi.  For years the Bivouac sponsored the Brighton Confederate Reunions and assisted indigent veterans.  In 1934, the members donated their assets to the Covington Board of Education as an endowment for the school libraries.  This fund was liquidated in 1993.

Tennessee Historical Commission

(This marker is located at the Tipton County Museum at 751 Bert Johnson Ave. in Covington, TN)

 Photobucket

CADMUS MARCELLUS

WILCOX

 

West Point graduate.  Seminole and Mexican Indian Wars soldier.  Instructor of infantry tactics at West Point.  Major General in the Confederate Army and chief of the Railroad Division of the General Land Office under President Grover Cleveland.  Wilcox was born in Waynesboro, North Carolina in 1824.  He settled in Tipton County in 1826 and lived in Covington until 1842.  He died in Washington, D. C. in 1890 and is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery there.

 

Tennessee Historical Commission

 

(This marker is located in Covington, TN on Hwy 51 at Shelton Park)

 Photobucket

THOMAS GOODE

REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIER

1760 - 1846

 

Thomas Goode was born on February 13, 1760 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia.  A descendant of John Goode, a colonist who settled in Virginia in 1660.  Thomas served in the Continental Army (1776 - 1778) with Gen. George Washington and participated in the battles of Princeton and Trenton.   Later, while in the Virginia Militia, he was at Yorktown when Cornwallis surrendered Oct. 17, 1781.  An early settler of Covington, he lived at this site from 1826 until his death on December 20, 1846.

 

Tennessee Historical Commission

 

(This marker is located in Covington, TN on Church Street)

 Photobucket

FRANCES BOYD CALHOUN

The author of "Miss Minerva and William Green Hill", is buried 1/2 mi. Southwest of here in Munford Cemetery.  Born in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, Dec 23, 1867, she moved to Covington in 1880.  She married George Barret Calhoun in 1903.  Her well-known book for children was published only a few months before her death in June, 1909.

Tennessee Historical Commission

(This marker is located at the corner of Washington and South Maple in Covington, TN)

 Photobucket

GENERAL JACOB TIPTON

Jacob Tipton  b. Nov 5, 1790 in Washington County, N. C.  d. Sept. 17, 1837 near Covington, Tn.  Married in 1818 to Lorina Taylor (1800 - 1874).  Served in the War of 1812 as an Ensign, 2nd and 1st Lt. in the 1st Regt. Rifle Corps.  Once the Register in the East Tn. Land Office and Brig. Gen. 14th Regt. of the Tn. Militia,  Surveyor of the 11th District in West Tn.

The Society of the War of 1812 in the State of Tennessee

L. J. Shaw, State President, 1989

 

(This marker is located on the property of the Tipton County Library at 300 W. Church St.  in Covington, TN)