tennesseetrails.gif - 9627 Bytes

Williamson County
Genealogy and History



Source: The Goodspeed History of Williamson County, Tennessee
(Unless otherwise noted)

William E. Alexander
William E. Alexander, a prominent citizen of Williamson County, was born in this State July 8, 1831, and is the son of Jesse W. and Phoebe (Williams) Alexander, both natives of Tennessee. The father was born July 8, 1800, and moved to this county in 1807. He was a Mason in good standing and was noted for his hospitality. The mother was born in 1799, and is still living at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. The father died October 19, 1870. Our subject followed agricultural pursuits from early boyhood. In 1852 he wedded Miss Antoinette Lavender, a native of Tennessee, born in 1834, and the daughter of Nelson and Purmelia (White) Lavender. To our subject and his wife were born eight children: William C., Laura A., Ebenezer C., Lucy F. (deceased), Antoinette V. (deceased), Volona L., Viola V., and Nora L. In 1885 Mr. Alexander moved to his farm, which lies in the southeastern portion of the county, and contains 107 acres of finely cultivated land. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

S. Anderson
S. Anderson, an influential citizen of this district, was born in Williamson County in the year 1825, and is one of eight children born to Joseph and Sallie (Hartley) Anderson. Mr. Anderson has followed farming from early boyhood. In 1847 he married Miss Ella Hartley, a native of this county, born in 1827, and the daughter of Laburn and Nancy (Carson) Hartley. To our subject and wife were born nine children: Sarah C., born August 14, 1849; Thomas W., August 14, 1851; John W., August 27, 1853; William P., March 27, 1854; Sophia E., April 11, 1856; Robert B., deceased, born April 27, 1858; Berry G., born January 27, 1861; Eliza J., August 27, 1864; and Tennessee, March 29, 1868. In 1857 our subject moved to the farm upon which he is now living, which is known as "Cross Keys." It contains 190 acres of land in a fine state of cultivation. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Democrat in politics. He and wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Rev. Mark Lyell Andrews
Rev. Mark Lyell Andrews was born on the 2d day of December, 1796, between Lexington and Richmond, Ky. His parents were born and reared in the State of Virginia, married and moved to Kentucky in the latter part of the year 1795. In 1810 the father of our subject,
George Andrews, moved to Williamson County, Tenn. May 16, 1816, our subject married Eliza Dean, and in the fall of 1819 he became impressed religiously and sought for and found pardon, after which he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, November, 1819, and was licensed as a local preacher in September, 1822. In 1826 he was ordained deacon by Bishop Soule, and in 1836 was ordained an elder, at Columbia, by Bishop Roberts. In the economy of the church, there being no provision made to support her local ministers, he was forced to look to other sources for employment to support a large and growing family. In March, 1840, he was elected clerk of the Circuit Court of Williamson County, and re-elected thereafter from time to time until the year 1874, having held the office continuously for a period of 34 years. This is a long time to hold an office, especially in a country notoriously fond of rotation in public life. In 1874, his health declining at that time, he withdrew from any further wish to serve the public and retired to private life. He died at his residence two miles west of Franklin, November 16, 1878, at the age of eighty-one. He was a blessing to the dying, and stood by the bedside of more dying men and women than most any one else in our State history. He was an example to the living and a benefactor to his race. The world is vastly better off from his having lived in it, and is indeed poorer in Christian charity now that he has gone to his reward.

John Andrews
John Andrews, an influential citizen of Williamson County, was born in this State December 18, 1813. His father,
James Andrews, was born in North Carolina, in 1785, and in 1805 was married to Jane McGuire, also a native of North Carolina, who was born in 1787. To this union were born seven children -- six sons and one daughter -- all dead but our subject. The father fought in the Creek Indian war and died in 1850. The mother died in 1845. Our subject took to the hymeneal altar, September 20, 1840, Minerva Matthews, who was born in this State February 28, 1818, and who is the daughter of Isham and Mary B. (Simms) Matthews, the former born in 1782 and died in 1862, and the latter born 1788 and died in 1865. Our subject and wife are the parents of three children: Nannie R., born July 18, 1841; Mary E., born January 20, 1845; and Lucy J. born August 23, 1846. Mr. Andrews followed farming until 1838, after which he clerked in a drug store at Franklin. In 1847 he began merchandising at Peytonsville this district and was very successful in that business. He was also postmaster there for two years. In 1853 he moved to his present farm which consists of 223 acres of good land. He has besides this farm 144 acres of land in this district. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Mr. Andrews is a stanch Democrat.

William Armstrong
William Armstrong, deceased, was born in Virginia in the year 1809, and like the average country boy received his education in the primitive schools. In 1813 he came to Tennessee and located in Williamson County. He entered on life's journey with
Miss Elizabeth Leigh as his companion November 2, 1836. Mrs. Armstrong was a daughter of Benjamin Leigh, a native of North Carolina, who immigrated to Tennessee in 1812, and married Martha Whitby. Only two children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong: William W. and Benjamin F., both of whom are dead; William W. died November 18, 1860 and Benjamin F. died while in the service of his country during the late civil war between the North and the South. Our subject moved to the Seventh District, Williamson County, in 1838, to the place known as "Rocky Hill," where he died February 20, 1879. He was a man who had the respect and esteem of all who knew him, and was a worthy member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Armstrong is still living at "Rocky Hill," six miles north of Franklin, and is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

John Atwood
John Atwood was born in what is now Stokes County, N. C., October 22, 1846, son of William F. and Mary (Steele) Atwood, and of English descent. The father was born in Virginia in 1803, and the mother in North Carolina in 1808; they both died in North Carolina. Our subject came to Tennessee in 1868 and settled at Nashville, where he engaged in the broom-making business. This he continued in that city until 1873, after which he clerked in a grocery store until 1876. He then engaged in the grocery business for himself and has since continued that occupation. He is one of the leading business men of the county, and handled last year over 400,000 pounds of broom corn. May 28, 1878, he wedded
Maggie A. Sinclair, of this county, and this union resulted in the birth of three children: John B., Bessie May and Jeneva V. Mr. Atwood is a Democrat, a member of the K. of H., and also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mrs. Atwood is a member of the Christian Church.

Robert A. Bailey
Robert A. Bailey, son of
Albert H. and Louise A. (Figuers) Bailey, was born in the town of Franklin, Tenn., September 11, 1849. The father was born in Virginia, and at an early day immigrated to Tennessee and settled in Franklin. He was both a farmer and merchant, and in early life was married to Miss Louisa A. Figuers, and four children were born to them: John H., William T., Patrick R. and Robert R. The father died in 1852, and his son John H. died August 4, 1845. William T. was killed at the battle of Missionary Ridge. Our subject resided on his father's farm until the year 1868, when he engaged as salesman in the dry goods house of J. W. Harrison, where he remained for six years. He then engaged in the same business for himself, but in 1875 sold his stock of goods in Franklin and purchased a farm in the adjoining county. In 1872 he was united in marriage to Miss Leonora Mayberry, and three children have blessed their union: Henry M., William T. and Robert A. Mrs. Bailey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Thomas R. Barrick
Thomas R. Barrick, station agent and general manager for the Louisville & Nashville Railway at this place, was born in Glasgow, Ky., November 7, 1862, and is the son of
J. R. and Lou M. (Moss) Barrick. His parents were both natives of Barren County, Ky. The father was born in 1824, and for a number of years was editor of the Atlanta Constitution and gained some prominence as a writer and contributor to some of the leading papers and magazines of the country. He died at Atlanta in 1869. The mother was born in 1820 and died in 1885. The subject was educated at the schools of his native county, and the early years of his business life were spent in the drug and dry goods business as clerk. At sixteen years of age he began the study of telegraphy. In 1880 he was telegraph operator at Columbia, Tenn. In 1882 he came to Franklin, where he has ever since been station agent. He attends to all the railway business at this place, and enjoys a lucrative and responsible position with the Louisville & Nashville Company. He is thoroughly posted in railway affairs, and is one of the most popular railroad men on the Louisville & Nashville line. January 20, 1886, he wedded Miss Mattie A. Brown, a daughter of Benjamin and Virgia Brown of this County. He is a Democrat and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Barrick is a member of the Christian Church. They are leading young people of the county.

John J. Beech
John J. Beech, druggist, was born in Williamson County November 12, 1826, son of
Robert A. and Martha C. (Beech) Beech, and is of English extraction. His father was born in Nottaway County, Va., in 1798, and his mother in Charlotte, Va., in 1800. His paternal grandfather, John Beech, was also a Virginian, and was a faithful soldier in the Revolutionary war. The Beech family came to Williamson County from Virginia at a very early day, and here, in 1843, the mother of our subject died, and his father follolwed in 1855. Our subject, John J. Beech, passed his youthful days on the farm and secured a good education in the Franklin schools. In 1844 he went to Nashville and began learning the drug business, and in 1851 commenced the same business for himself in Nashville in partnership with Dr. Samuel Flemming. This he continued until 1860, when he removed to Austin, Tx., and for four years was very successfully engaged in the drug business in that city. In 1865 he removed to Franklin, and in 1866 began the drug business in this place, where he has since continued. He is the oldest druggist in Franklin and one of the oldest in the State. In 1851 he wedded Sarah J. Johnson, of Williamson County, and became the father of one son, Eugene L. Mr. Beech is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

Thomas Hart Benton
He was born in Orange County, North Carolina, March 14, 1782. His father was a lawyer of fair standing, and his mother a Virginia woman of good family.
He was for a time at the University of North Carolina, but did not graduate, as his course, brought her family to Tennessee, settling near Nashville. Nevertheless Benton, with his keen and strong intellect and great ambition, continued his studies, and as Roosevelt says, became a cultivated, and even a learned man. He was admitted to the bar at Nashville in 1806, and began the practice at Franklin, Williamson County. His abilities were such that he could not fail to be prominent in any field of intellectual work, and there can be no doubt that if he had been inclined to devote himself to the law he would have attained eminence in the profession. His inclinations, however, were toward politics, and in 1811 he was elected to the Legislature. The judiciary system of the state was, at this time, undergoing reformation, and Benton seems to have interested himself actively and intelligently in the reforms. Roosevelt states that he introduced and secured the passage of a bill giving negroes the full benefit of trial by jury. The Army Register of the United States makes Benton Lieutenant-Colonel of the 39th U. S. Infantry, which was commanded by Col. John Williams. He held this commission from June 18, 1813, to January 15, 1815. From December, 1812, to April, 1813, he had been Colonel of Tennessee Militia. Shortly after the close of the war of 1812, he removed to Missouri, which was his domicile thenceforth. It is surmised that his difficulty with Jackson was the cause of his emigration.
It is not probably that personally he was afraid of Jackson, but at that time the hero of New Orleans had grown to such proportions that Tennessee was no place for a man whose pride and ambition could not be satisfied with any position except the foremost.

Thomas O. Betts
Thomas O. Betts is a son of
Thomas and Clarrisa (Whittington) Betts, and was born in Davidson County, Tenn., November 21, 1834. The Betts family are natives of Pennsylvania, the grandfather of our subject moving to Nashville at an early day, and erecting the first hotel in the place. He afterward moved to Belleview and operated a grist-mill and distillery for a number of years. Our subject's father was a tanner by trade, and owned a farm on Harpeth River. He became the father of ten children, and died in 1845. Our subject is one of five surviving children, and from early youth has shown aptitude for merchandising and has always followed that occupation. In 1875 he was married to Miss Margaret M. Burk, who is a native of Washington City. Mr. Betts began merchandising in Thompson's Station in 1877, under the firm name of T. O. Betts & Co. They carry stock of $8,000, and do an annual business of $13,000.

William F. Bingham
William F. Bingham was born in the county where he now resides, September 25, 1838, son of
James J. and Amelia (Haley) Bingham, and is of Irish lineage. The parents born in Guilford County, N. C., and Halifax County, Va., in 1800 and 1807, and died in Williamson County, Tenn., in 1876 and 1872, respectively. Their family consisted of nine children, our subject being the sixth. He received a common school education, and learned the tanner's trade, which he followed three years. He enlisted in the First Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and served four years. He was slightly wounded at the battle of Murfreesboro, Tenn., and was a participant in some of the hardest fought battles of the war. Since the close of that conflict he has followed farming, with the exception of six years, when he served as sheriff of Williamson County. He was married, March 1, 1867 to Miss Susan Davis, of the same county as himself. Mr. Bingham is a Democrat, and belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities. He and wife are members of the Christian Church.

James J. Bingham
James J. Bingham, farmer and merchant, was born November 22, 1840, in Williamson County, Tenn., son of
J. J. and Amelia (Haley) Bingham, and is of Irish descent. The family came from North Carolina to Tennessee at a very early day. Our subject received a common school education, and has made farming his chief occupation through life. He was in the Eleventh Tennessee Cavalry, Confederate States Army, and served one year. He was married to Miss Luversa E. Dodd, September 27, 1864. They have had five children, four now living; Thomas R. born in 1865;
Laura Lee born in 1868;
Jennie D., born in 1870, and Sallie M., born in 1872. Mr. Bingham and wife belong to the Christian Church. Mr. Bingham, by his untiring application to business, has secured reasonable results, and is now spending a happy life with his family.

Thomas H. Bond
Thomas H. Bond was born July 26, 1826, and is a son of
William Bond, who was an early settler of Tennessee and a native of Virginia. He located in Williamson County in 1804 and a year later was married to Miss Nancy Dabney, of North Carolina, and thirteen children were born to them: Sidney S., Margaret, Lucy, Elizabeth, Bethenia, John D., Morris L., Charles A., William J., Thomas H., Robert W., Benjamin F. and Nancy D. William and Nancy Bond died in 1850 and 1868, respectively. They were members of the Christian Church. The place of our subject's nativity was Williamson County, Tenn., where he was educated in the common schools. September 12, 1850, he wedded Miss Mary M. Banks, who bore him twelve children:
Henry M., Laura E., Bethenia D., Annie M., James D., Benjamin F., Thomas H., Florence L., William W., John D., Morris L. and Nannie D. Bethenia died in 1861, Morris L. in 1867, and John D. in 1884. In 1845 our subject began merchandising in Nashville, continuing six years, and then returned to Williamson County and resumed farming. He owns a very fine tract of land and is a member of the Christian Church. In politics he is a Democrat and was a Whig before the dissolution of that party.

James C. Bostick
James C. Bostick was born in 1835, in Williamson County, Tenn. He is a son of James A. and Nancy Bostick, and grandson of
John and Mary G. Bostick, who were born in North Carolina, and settled in Tennessee in 1809. Our subject's mother was the daughter of William and Sarah King, born in North Carolina, and settled in Tennessee at an early date. The parents of our subject were married in this State in 1827. To them were born eight children: Thomas K., Mary J., James C., Manoah H., Sarah P., Martha E., John and William. James C. attended the Hardeman Academy, near Triune, in 1854-55, and the Western Military Academy, in Sumner County, Tenn., where he fitted himself for civil engineering, and in 1856 served in that capacity for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Three years later he abandoned this and engaged in the lumber business in Nashville, Tenn., the firm being known as Bostick & Abston. At the breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted in the Thirteenth Tennessee Cavalry under Gen. Morgan, and participated in all the principal battles. At the close of the war he returned to Sumner County, where he remained until 1869, when he moved to Williamson County where he now resides. In 1859 he wedded Fannie L. Abston, daughter of Merry and Mary Abston. To Mr. and Mrs. Bostick five children were born: James A., Merry C., Mary A., Sallie P., and Fannie M. Mr. Bostick was elected county surveyor in 1873 and justice of the peace in 1871, which office he still holds. Mrs. Bostick died in 1885. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church as is her husband. He is a Democrat in politics and is of English descent.

Richard Hyde Bostick
BOSTICK, Richard Hyde, banker; born, Franklin, Tenn., Apr. 2, 1850; son of Richard H. and Rebecca (Cannon) Bostick; educated in Franklin College, and Bryant & Strutton Business College, Cincinnati, O.; married, Jackson, Tenn., May, 1881, Apphia Taylor Chester. Began business career in Memphis, Tenn., as bookkeeper for wholesale grocery house, 1872; moved to Jackson, Tenn., 1873, and engaged in retail grocery business until 1876; moved to St. Louis, October, 1876, and became cashier and bookkeeper for cotton firm of Houston, Sayle & Co.; bought interest in the Sayle-Stegall Commission Co., 1884, and continued in cotton business until 1893, when bought interest in J. M. Houston Grocer Co., of which was vice president until 1908; vice president Wellston Trust Co. since November, 1910. Democrat. Mason; member Jackson Commandery, Knights Templar. Recreation: fishing. Office: Wellston, Mo. Residence: 4007 Delmar Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

Joseph H. Bowman
Joseph H. Bowman was born July 5, 1847, in Madison County, Miss., where he remained until the death of his father. He then came to Tennessee and located near Franklin, where he received his education. March, 1863, Mr. Bowman shouldered his musket and enlisted in Company D, Thirty-second Tennessee Regiment of Infantry. He was in Bragg's retreat from Tennessee, and also with Johnston in Georgia. He received a wound June 22, 1864, from which he feels the effects to this day. He was paroled May, 1865. After the war he clerked in a store in Franklin, and afterward went to Nashville and clerked there for some time. Leaving Nashville he wedded
Miss Jennie E. Brown second daughter of Thomas and Margaret S. Brown. Mr. Brown died January 13, 1870. Mrs. Brown is still living, and is a member of the Christian Church. Our subject moved to Williamson County and engaged in farming, and by his union with Jennie E. Brown became the father of ten children: Thomas B., William H., Joseph H., Maggie B., Elizabeth M., George B., Jennie B., Inez B., Dunklin C. and James G. Mr. Bowman has a fine farm of about 148 acres, and it is known as the "Owl Nest Farm." Mrs. Bowman is a worthy member of the Christian Church. Our subject's father, William Bowman, was born January 8, 1809 and received his education in the University of Nashville. September 20, 1843, he wedded Miss Elizabeth M. Maney, daughter of William Maney, of Franklin. William Bowman was a Master Mason, and died at his residence in Mississippi, June 27, 1853. The mother is still living, and is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church. She was for many years a teacher in Ward's Seminary at Nashville.

Philip Boxley
Philip Boxley, son of
Harrison and Nancy (Claude) Boxley, was born July 16, 1841 in Williamson County, Tenn. Harrison Boxley was born in Virginia, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1828, and settled in Williamson County, where he afterward became a well-to-do farmer. His wife was born in Tennessee, and to them were born two children: Philip and James. Mrs. Boxley died in 1844, and Mr. Boxley wedded Mrs. Maury (a widow), who bore him one child, a daughter named Mary. Our subject was educated in the country schools, and in 1871 was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Boxley. He enlisted in the Southern Army in 1861, in the Twentieth Tennessee Regiment, under Col. Battle, and was a participant in the following battles: Shiloh, Missionary Ridge, Chattanooga, Franklin, Atlanta and Vicksburg. In 1869 he removed to Arkansas, where he remained two years, when he returned to Tennessee and located on the West Harpeth River, in Williamson County, where he owns a fine farm and is a good citizen.

William W. Brooks
William W. Brooks was born in Franklin County, N. C., in 1817, and is the son of
Christopher and Martha Brooks, who were married in North Carolina, December 22, 1808, and came to Tennessee in 1824. They became the parents of six children: Martha A., Susan, Christopher B., William W., Mary F., and Alexander N. B. Our subject received good educational advantages, and has spent his days in farming and blacksmithing. He located on his present farm 1852. It consists of 198 acres of valuable land, well improved, near Owen's Station. Mr. Brooks started in life with but little capital, except his hands and willing heart, and by his energy and good management is in very comfortable circumstances, financially. July 11, 1847, he wedded Martha Alley, who was born in August 1828, in Williamson County. She is a daughter of Walter and Perna C. Alley, of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks have these four children: William, Mary E., Martha J. and Eliza L. Mrs. Brooks died May 29, 1872, and Mr. Brooks took for his second wife Mary C. Brown (widow of Dr. H. T. Brown), daughter of David and Mary C. Beech. She was born August 14, 1833, and became the mother of one child, Kate B. Mr. Brooks belongs to the Democratic party and is of English extraction.

John A. Buchanan
John A. Buchanan was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., December 16, 1835, son of
Moses and Sarah Buchanan, and grandson of Maj. John Buchanan, who emigrated from Scotland to America about 1750 and was a participant in the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812. The father of our subject was born in Tennessee April 4, 1806, and the mother July 16, 1810. She was the daughter of James and Ann Ridley who were born in Tennessee. Moses Buchanan and his wife were married about 1826 and became the parents of these children: Sarah A., Mary J., James A., Elizabeth C., John A., Katherine L., Tennessee L., George R., Samuel J., Moses R., Hance H., Henry S., Nannie A. and Virginia L. John A. our subject, received a liberal edcation and in early life was engaged in the milling business with his father. At the breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted in Douglas' regiment and was third lieutenant of Carter's company. At the end of two years he was captured and taken to Murfreesboro but after a short time was paroled and returned home to Rutherford County. March 21, 1860, he wedded Miss Ridley who was born in Giles County, September 23, 1842, daughter of William and Minerva T. Ridley. Our subject located on his present farm of 160 acres in 1879. He is the father of these children: Moses R. born July 14, 1861 and died January 8, 1885; Sallie M., born November 7, 1863; John B., born December 29, 1866 and died September 24, 1872; Henry L., born October 16, 1869; Nannie, born October 6, 1871 and died October 12, 1872; Mattie L., born August 18, 1873; Willie M., born October 21, 1875; and died October 1, 1876; Scrap H., born December 31, 1877; and Jimmie, born May 8, 1880. Mr Buchanan is a Democrat in politics and in 1880 was elected justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan have two adopted daughters: Nannie P., born December 11, 1866, and Beulah C., born November 8, 1871, daughters of William and Isabella Ridley.

E. B. Buchanan
E. B. Buchanan, farmer, was born in Williamson County, Tenn., August 9, 1840, son of
Robert S. Buchanan, who was born in this county February 3, 1818. He received a common school education and was married in 1838 to Miss Harriet Bateman and our subject is the second of their twelve children. The father died in June, 1883, and the mother in March, 1862. The family first came to Tennessee from Pennsylvania in 1778, and were among the first settlers of Nashville. Our subject received an academic education at Franklin, Tenn., and assisted his father on the farm until twenty years of age, when he began working for the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Company, and resided in Collierville until the breaking out of the war. He then enlisted in Company C, Fourth Tennessee, and was in the battles of Perryville, Corinth, Murfreesboro, and the Atlanta campaign. He was captured June 21, 1864, but made his escape at Murfreesboro and returned home but soon re-enlisted and was in the battles of Franklin and Nashville. After his return home he began clerking on a steam-boat, continuing one year and then engaged in the mercantile business in Nashville one year. He then taught school the following year and later engaged in farming. He was deputy sheriff from September 1870 to September 1874, and has been justice of the peace from 1874 to the present time, his term expiring in 1888; has also been deputy county clerk. He was married, February 2, 1868 to Miss Mattie McKay, daughter of John P. and Margaret McKay. They are the parents of these children: John M., Hattie, R.D., and Willie E. Mr. Buchanan is a Democrat and belongs to the Masonic fraternity, I.O.O.F., K. of H., and A. O. U. W. He and wife belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Rev. Claudius Buchanan
Rev. Claudius Buchanan, a native of Williamson County, was born December 17, 1842. He father,
Joseph Buchanan, was born in this State about 1809, and in 1836 he wedded Martha Edmiston, a native of Tennessee, born about 1809. To this union were born seven children, two of whom are yet living, our subject being one of them. The father died in 1876. Our subject's grandfather, John Buchanan, was born in Washington County, Va., in 1772, and married Margaret Edmondson in 1798; she was also a native of Virginia, born about 1774. They came to Tennessee about 1800 and purchased 200 acres of land in this district on what is known as the "Old High Tower Road." He died in 1820 and the grandmother in 1858. Our subject has followed agricultural pursuits the principal part of his life. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Twentieth Tennessee Regiment, was taken prisoner at Missionary Ridge, imprisoned at Rock Island, Ill., and retained there fifteen months. At the close of the war he returned home and in 1866 was married to Miss Dolly J. Smithson, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Tennessee. The father was born about 1791 and served as a private in the late war; was wounded in the Cheat Mountain campaign. He died in 1872 and the mother in 1850. To our subject and wife were born six children: Josephine E., born September 11, 1867; M. Blanche, born December 1869; William C., born August 10, 1871; John B., born July 24, 1874; Lillian M., born September 10, 1877, and Gerald M., born March 28, 1870. In January, 1867, Mr. Buchanan moved to the farm upon which he is now living and in 1870 purchased it from his father. It contains 300 acres of medium land in a fair state of cultivation. In 1871 he obtained license to preach, and has since been a local preacher. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is a Democrat in politics. He and wife are devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

Josiah Butt
Josiah Butt was born in Bedford County, Tenn., February 6, 1832, son of
Nathaniel and Rebecca Butt, who were born in this State. Nathaniel Butt was the son of James Butt, who came to this State from the "Old Dominion" and settled in Davidson County about 1814. The mother, Rebecca Butt, was a daughter of Joseph E. Cook, who came from North Carolina to this State in the early part of the present century. The parents of our subject were married about 1828, and to their union were born five children -- threes sons and two daughters: Arthur, Josiah, Mary, Rebecca, and Nathaniel. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and in 1866 located on his present farm, where he has followed tilling the soil, wagon-making and blacksmithing, and is the owner of 175 acres of valuable farming land. By the sweat of his brow he has acquired his present property, and deserves much credit therefor. January 19, 1854, he wedded Martha Jackson, daughter of John J. Jackson, a native of North Carolina. Both Mr. and Mrs. Butt are members of the Missionary Baptist Church at Concord. To them were born nine children: Porterfield, Theodore, Clara, Joanna, Willie, Georgiana, Ada, Olive and Nettie. Mr. Butt is a member of the Democratic party, and the family are of German-Irish descent.

COL. MOSCOW B. CARTER, of Franklin, Tenn., was born in that city, on Dec. 5, 1825. He is the son of Fountain B. and Mary (Atkinson) Carter, both natives of Virginia. The father was born in Halifax county, April 6, 1797, and was a son of Francis W. Carter, who was born in Virginia in 1767. Francis W. was the son of Samuel Carter, likewise a native of Virginia, but of French descent and a physician by profession. Francis Carter was a farmer by occupation. In 1809 he married Sarah Anderson, a native of Virginia, and soon afterward they removed to Williamson county, Tenn., settled about three miles from Franklin, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Seven children were born to them. Fountain B., father of Col. M.B. Carter, remained at home until a young man, when he went to Franklin, learned the shoemaker's trade and followed it for several years. Then he purchased a farm adjoining Franklin and lived there until his death at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died at the age of forty-six. Her father served as county surveyor and was justice of the peace for several years. Fountain B. and Mary Carter had twelve children born to them, but two of whom are living now: Col. M.B. Carter and his brother, Francis W., of California. M.B. Carter was educated in the Franklin schools and remained at home until twenty years old. In 1846 he organized a company for service in the Mexican war and was elected lieutenant. The company was not needed, however, so he went to Nashville and attached himself to Capt. Harris Maulden's company, which was mustered into service in May, 1846, and sent to Pt. Isabelle, Tex. Colonel Carter served twelve months, taking part at Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo, and in numerous minor engagements. He returned home in 1847 and the same year made a trip to New Orleans, St. Louis and Chicago. He helped construct the first telegraph line in the State of Illinois. In 1848 he returned to Franklin, took up the occupation of surveyor and followed it for two or three years. In 1851 he was married to Orlena C. Dobbins, who was born near Boone's Hill in Lincoln county, Tenn. The same year he engaged in the grocery business, which he followed for two years. In 1854 he bought a farm four miles north of Franklin and was living there when the war broke out. He at once set to work to organize a company, of which he was elected captain, and it was mustered into the Confederate service as Company H, Twentieth Tennessee infantry. He was made lieutenant-colonel on the organization of the regiment, which was assigned to Zollicoffer's brigade. On Jan. 19, 1862, Colonel Carter was captured at the battle of Fishing Creek, but prior to that time he had been in a number of skirmishes. After seeing the inside of a number of prisons, Colonel Carter was exchanged at Aiken's Landing in August, 1862. He returned home, and in 1863 rejoined his old regiment, but remained only a short time, when he was paroled. He returned home and continued to live in the vicinity of Franklin until 1898, when he moved to Triune, where he lived for five years. At the end of that time he returned to the vicinity of his old home and now lives two miles south of Franklin. His first wife died in 1860, and he married again, in 1866, his second wife being America Cattles, a native of the county. She died in 1876, and Colonel Carter married Marmela E. Miot, a native of South Carolina. Five children were born to the first marriage, three of them being still alive: Mary O. Gillespie, of Franklin, and Walter F. and Hugh E., of Kansas. Of four born to the second marriage, those living are Alma Parry and Moscow B., of Franklin. The children of the third wife are Emma, at home, and Frank, in Nebraska. Colonel Carter is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is a Democrat in politics. At the present time he is living a retired life, seeking the rest and relaxation which his active and industrious career has earned. He is one of the most prominent men of the county and is now the oldest living native white-born child of Franklin, and the only veteran of the Mexican war now living in the county.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

HENRY HOWE COOK, of Franklin, Tenn., a well-known and successful lawyer and for several years the chancellor of the sixth (now the seventh) district, at Nashville, was born in Williamson county, Tenn., Nov. 23, 1843. He was educated at Franklin college, and at the beginning of the Civil war enlisted in the Confederate service as a private in Company D, First Tennessee infantry. During his term of service he was with Gen. R.E. Lee at Cheat Mountain, fought at Fort Donelson, Corinth, Shiloh, Tupelo, Munfordville, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Bean's Station, Knoxville, Dandridge, Port Walthall, Drewry's Bluff and in the military operations around Petersburg near the close of the war. Shortly after the battle of Tupelo he was made junior second lieutenant, and before the close of the year became second lieutenant. After the battle of Chickamauga he was promoted to the rank of captain and commanded his company in every engagement in which it participated after that time. At Drewry's Bluff he was captured, held for a short time at Fort Monroe, Point Lookout and Fort Delaware, and was one of the 600 officers sent to Morris Island and kept under fire during the siege of Charleston, S.C. In the battle of Murfreesboro he was twice wounded, in the head and in the shoulder. After the war he took up the study of law, and in 1867 was admitted to the bar at Franklin. He soon won a place in the front rank of the attorneys of the Williamson county bar, and in 1870 was elected county judge. At the close of his first term he was re-elected for a second term of eight years, making sixteen years in all that he presided over the county court. For the next ten years he was engaged in practice at Franklin, where he built up a large and lucrative business. In 1896 he was elected chancellor. Judge Cook is a member of Starnes camp of the United Confederate Veterans, at Franklin, where he still resides.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

Ephriam A. Dean
Government official; born in Williamson Co., Tenn., July 31, 1838; Welsh-English descent; son of John and Eliza (Andrew) Dean; paternal grandparents John and Matilda (Jennings) Dean, maternal grandparents Ephriam and Hardaway (Lock) Andrews; educated in common schools of Hickman Co., Tenn.; began life on farm; later became builder, merchant and trader; married Susan Anderson Oct. 25, 1865; served in Confederate Army May 1, 1861, to 1865; lieutenant Co. H 11th Tenn. regiment; Republican and independent; postmaster Centerville, Tenn., 1897-1900; same at Bon Aqua, Tenn., since May 15, 1900.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler

Mrs. Edward H. East
EAST, Mrs. Edward H., philanthropist, born in Bethesda, Williamson county, Tenn., 15th March, 1849. Her father, Rev. H. C. Horton. was a Virginian, her mother, Elizabeth Elliotte Kennedy, was a South Carolinian. Her grand parents came from England and Ireland and could boast a coat-of-arms on both sides of the house, but strong republican sentiments forbade a display of them. She came of Revolutionary stock. Lieutenant Kennedy fought under Gen. Francis Marion and was rewarded for bravery, having on one occasion, with only himself and one other, put to rout twelve Tories. Her father moved to Mississippi, where her girlhood was spent. She was educated in the Marshall Female Institue, under the management of Pres. Joseph E. Douglas. As a young lady she was popular with old and young. When the Mississippi & Tennessee R R. was being built through Mississippi, the work had to stop for want of means when the road had been extended only fifty or sixty miles. A plan was suggested to get the men of the county together to raise a fund. A May Queen feast and a barbecue in the woods were chosen. The dark-eyed, rosy-cheeked little maiden, Tennie Horton, as she was called, only fourteen years old, was chosen queen, and she on that occasion made a railroad speech that brought thousands of dollars out of the pockets of that then wealthy people. She became the wife, when very young, of D. C. Ward, a merchant, who was killed 1n the war. During the war she was the only protection of her old parents, with the exception of a few faithful servants who remained with them. Her life has been one of great activity. In 1868 she became the wife of Judge East, a distinguished jurist, who sympathizes with and aids her in all her work. She is now and has been for several years in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union work. She is local president of the central union in Nashville, where she has for many years resided, and is also corresponding secretary of the State. She was appointed State chairman of the Southern Woman's Council. She has spent much time and money for the cause of temperance. In every reform movement she takes great interest. When the Prohibition amendment was before the people of Tennessee, she was active in the work to create a sentiment in its favor. A large tent, that had been provided in the city in which to conduct gospel services, she had moved to every part of the city for a month, and procured for each night able Prohibition speeches. She has been a delegate to every national convention since 1887. The poor of the city know her, for she never turns a deaf ear to their appeals nor sends them away empty-handed. She taught a night school for young men and boys for two years. She has written for several periodicals and been correspondent for newspapers. She has now a book ready for the publisher. Being an active, busy woman, she finds but little time to write. She is the mother of five children, all living.
Source: (American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)

WATSON MEREDITH GENTRY, M.D., an eminent physician and surgeon of Franklin, Tenn., was born near "Stockett's church," Williamson county, Jan. 31, 1831, and is the second son of Theophilus Lacy and Rebecca Brice (Sappington) Gentry. Doctor Gentry, on his paternal side, comes of Saxon blood. The name "Gentry" originally meant scribes or learned people, and when surnames were adopted, David and Richard, the "scribes," became David and Richard Gentry. The first known of the family in America were two brothers bearing the same names as the above, David and Richard. They were British soldiers and came to America to assist the colonists in the Indian wars, about 1643. There they settled and raised large families. David was Doctor Gentry's ancestor, and his great-grandson, Watson, was Doctor Gentry's grandfather, for whom he is named. Watson Gentry was a very young private in the Revolutionary war, and when told he was entitled to a pension he replied: "Give it to some one who needs it worse than I do. I fought for the liberty of my country, not for money." Watson Gentry's wife wasTheodocia Poindexter, whose mother was of the Scottish clan of Chisholm. The Poindexters were French Huguenots, who fled to England and there changed their names from the French "Paigndestre" to "Poindexter." John Poindexter was the first of the name in the United States. On his maternal side, Doctor Gentry is descended from Lewis Stockell, an officer in Queen Elizabeth's household (1558-1563), of Stephen's parish, County Kent, England. He married Jane Ayleworth, of noble birth, of Kent and Essex counties. Their four sons were intimate friends and close neighbors of Lord Baltimore. Capt. Thomas Stockell, the second son, patented three plantations in Maryland and was a distinguished citizen, occupying many important positions. His wife was Mary Wells and their great-grandson, Capt. Thomas William Stockell, was the grandfather of Doctor Gentry. The most noted of the Gentry family was Meredith Poindexter Gentry, the "silver-tongued" orator, for many years a congressman. He was Doctor Gentry's uncle and the youngest of ten children born to Watson and Theodocia Gentry. Webster said of him that he had the best voice ever given to man and was the finest natural orator of the race. Doctor Watson Gentry received an academic education at Owen's Hill, Triune and the Athlophremic institute, Edwin Paschal principal. At the age of twenty, he had completed the English course, four years of Latin, Greek and mathematics, and then took charge of the academy at Gibson Wells, Tenn., for two years. He next took up the study of medicine under Dr. ElihuEdmundson, of Giles county, and after finishing entered the University of the City of New York, in September, 1852, and graduated in March, 1855, with first honors. He was successful in the competitive examination for the position of surgeon in Bellevue hospital, but procured a six months' leave of absence, and went abroad to study in the hospitals of Liverpool, London, Dublin and Paris. On his return he took the position of house surgeon at Bellevue, where he was associated with ten other surgeons and physicians. Here he became acquainted with all the notable medical men of New York. At the end of his term of service in 1857, he returned to Tennessee and located at Shelbyville. He soon became noted, especially in surgery, and was frequently called upon to go into a number of the surrounding counties to take charge of difficult cases requiring a skilled surgeon. When the war broke out, Doctor Gentry was one of the first to enlist and was appointed by Gov. Isham G. Harris a surgeon in the "provisional force of Tennessee volunteers," June 14, 1861. He was commissioned surgeon of the Seventeenth Tennessee regiment, with the rank of major of the cavalry, and went into camp at Camp Trousdale, near Gallatin. Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer took command of the Eleventh, Seventeenth, Eighteenth, Nineteenth and Twentieth regiments, with the cavalry regiments commanded by Colonels McNairy and Ashby, and two companies of artillery, about 7,000 men in all. This constituted the right wing of the Tennessee army under Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston. Doctor Gentry's first military surgery was performed at Rock Castle, where fourteen were killed and many wounded. He was at the battles of Mill Springs, Murfreesboro, Corinth, Perryville, Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga and Shiloh. On account of failing health he was relieved from field duty and assigned to the post of Montgomery, where he was made chief of hospitals and had under his charge the Commercial, Concert Hall, Madison, Montgomery Hall, Ladies', Watts, Stonewall, Wayside and the Camp hospitals. He was paroled June 21, 1865, but continued in charge by request of Gen. A.J. Smith, of the Sixteenth army corps, until the sick were able to return to their homes. In September he returned to Tennessee and resumed his practice. After the war he added to his reputation as a surgeon by performing many difficult operations, especially those calling for abdominal surgery. As a physician he has been very successful, and is as noted in his treatment of fevers and illness of that character as was his distinguished great-uncle, Dr. John Sappington, Missouri's famous "doctor" and philanthropist, was gave the first $20,000 to the fund of education, which was the nucleus of the public school system of that state. Owing to a trouble of a paralytic nature, Doctor Gentry has been unable to pursue his practice for the last few years. Just before the war he married Miss Martha A. Jones, the "beauty of Tennessee's capital." She once was asked to sit for a portrait as one of "the beautiful women of the South," but, being a modest woman, she declined the honor. She is the second daughter of Dr. John Bidley Jones, a Tennessee and Mississippi planter, and Martha (Lane) Jones, whose grandfather, Col. Joel Lane, was the founder of the city of Raleigh, N.C. He gave to the city Caswell, Burke, Nash, Moore and Capitol squares, and is known as the "enthusiast, patriot and pioneer." He was of the Sir Ralph Lane family of England. Mrs. Gentry is also the great-great-granddaughter of Col. John Hinton, Sr., who was one of Governor Tryon's guard and was at the battle of the "Alamance." Later he and his son, Maj. John Hinton, took an active part in the Revolutionary war. She is also descended from Legrand and Nathaniel Jones, members of the Provincial Congress "committee of safety," and "council of the safety." Mrs. Gentry is quite an artist and musician, and "Maplehurst," the Gentry home, is noted for being the birthplace of all the clubs and orders in the town. Dr. and Mrs. Gentry have but one child, Susie, who is one of the best-known women of the state on account of her patriotic and historical work. She is the state historian and regent of "Old Glory" chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, of which she was the organizer and first regent in 1897. She has served as secretary and treasurer of Franklin chapter No. 14, United Daughters of the Confederacy; was the first "Daughter of the Confederacy" and "Colonial Dame" in Williamson county; belongs to the Flag association of Philadelphia, and the Red Cross society. The first "Flag Day" celebrated in Tennessee was at "Maplehurst," only a month after it became National day. Miss Gentry is known as a writer, artist and composer of music. Her banjo piece for the piano is considered one of the finest ever published. She has also illustrated several poems and is the originator of one of the most unique collections in the world, a "gourd" collection that has attracted the attention of scientists from Massachusetts to Louisiana, as well as others. It comprises the native and foreign gourds, including specimens from Africa, China, Japan, Korea, Guatemala, Nicaraugua and Mexico.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

William P. Hardeman
William P. Hardeman, one of the brave soldiers who served Texas in every military struggle from her first permanent colonial settlement, was born in Williamson county, Tenn., Nov. 4, 1816. His father, Thomas J. Hardeman, served several terms with marked distinction in the Congress of the Republic of Texas, and was the author of the resolution which gave the name of "Austin" to the capital of the state. His mother was the daughter of Ezekiel Polk, a signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence in North Carolina. The subject of this sketch reached Texas with his father's family in 1835, just as the colonists were preparing for unequal war with Mexico. In the spring of 1836, when Travis hemmed in with his men appealed from the Alamo for help, young Hardeman then not twenty years old, responded with alacrity and started for San Antonio with twenty-one men. Houston, who had heard of the massacre at the Alamo, fell back from Gonzales. Hardeman and his men were not as fortunate, for knowing neither the fate of Travis nor of the retreat of Houston, they rode in upon the Mexican pickets and narrowly escaped capture. His uncle, Bailey Hardeman, the Secretary of the Treasury of the Republic of Texas, now requested him to raise a company for permanent service with the army, which he did. In 1837 he ranged the frontier with Deaf Smith for four months. On Feb. 22, 1839, he was with Col. John H. Moore in the fight with the Comanche Indians at Wallace's Creek, seven miles above San Saba. In April, 1839, he was in the Cordova fight under Gen. Burleson, near Seguin. During the Mexican War, 1846-47, he was a member of the celebrated mounted company of Texans commanded by Ben McCulloch, and was soon afterward offered a commission in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the Texas secession convention in 1861; and upon its adjournment became senior captain in the regiment commanded by Col. Riley, in which William R. Scurry was lieutenant-colonel and Henry Raguet was major. For distinguished gallantry at the battle of Val Verde he was promoted on the field to be major. He was painfully wounded in this battle. At Peralto he saved the day by coming with his regiment, of which he was in command, to the aid of Gen. Tom Green. He was in the battle of Galveston with the land forces Jan. 1, 1863, when the Federal boats were taken or driven from the harbor and a Massachusetts regiment captured. When Col. Riley fell at Iberia the department commander, Gen. E. Kirby Smith, ordered Hardeman back to command his own regiment. He participated in the disastrous night attack on Fort Butler, being wounded in this action. He commanded Green's brigade in the battle of Mansfield in which nearly every company officer of his regiment was killed or wounded; and he again distinguished himself in the battle of Pleasant Hill. He was now commissioned a brigadier-general, and in the engagement at Yellow Bayou he was in command of a division. After the war Gen. Hardeman became a planter. In 1874, at the time of the inauguration of Gov. Coke, which E. J. Davis and the military were resisting, the Speaker of the House appointed General Hardeman, Col. John S. Ford and Col. W. N. Hardeman as assistant sergeants-at-arms. In open session of the legislature the Speaker, Hon. Guy M. Bryan, in swearing in the three said: "You love Texas, you have seen much service in her behalf during three wars, you are experienced and accustomed to command men. A great crisis is upon Texas, she never needed your services more than now." For eight days and nights the three were at their posts. The capitol grounds swarmed with armed negroes, who were influenced by corrupt whites greedy to retain power. When the crisis had passed these three brave men were again called before the legislature, where the Speaker in thanking them for the people of the commonwealth, said: "But for you, Texas might have been drenched in blood and remanded back to military rule. This calamity you largely contributed to avert by your tact, courage and patriotism." Gen. Hardeman was inspector of railroads until 1887, when he was made superintendent of public building and grounds, in which capacity he served until his death a few years ago. He lies buried in the state cemetery in Austin.
Contributed by Veneta McKinney - Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I; by Sid S. Johnson; transcribed by Bobby Dobbins Title

William Hardy Murfree
MURFREE, William Hardy, representative, was born in Hertford county, N.C., Oct. 2, 1781; son of Hardy and Sally (Brickell) Murfree, and grandson of William and Mary (Moore) Murfree. He was graduated at the University of North Carolina in 1801, was admitted to the bar and entered upon the practice of his profession. He represented Hertford county in the North Carolina legislature in 1805, and 1812; was a presidential elector in the 13th and 14th congresses, 1813-17, where he supported Madison’s administration and the war of 1812. He removed form Murfreesboro. N.C., in 1823 to his estate in Williamson county, Tenn., where he spent the rest of his life. He was married in 1808 to Elizabeth Mary, daughter of James Maney of Hertford county, N.C. He died in Nashville, Tenn., in 1827.

C.M. TURNER, division superintendent of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis railroad, Dickson, Tenn., is a son of Andrew W. and Eunice (Theise) Turner, and was born in Williamson county, Tenn., March 8, 1853. Both parents were natives of Scotland, but came in their early lives to America. They settled in North Carolina, but in 1852 came to Tennessee, where they passed the remainder of their lives. He was a railroad contractor, and after coming to Tennessee lived in Williamson and Davidson counties. He died at Kingston Springs, Cheatham county, Tenn. He and his wife had five sons and five daughters, six of the family yet living. The father served in the Mexican war, as a major, and was several times slightly wounded. When the Civil war broke out he drilled several companies for the Confederate service. C.M. Turner attended the common schools of his native county, where he received the greater part of his education, and began work as a railroader at the bottom of the ladder. He has worked in all departments, except the department of telegraphy, and has filled nearly every position from brakeman to division superintendent. Most of his life he has been with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad Company, though for four years he was with the Louisville & Nashville road. Although an unyielding Democrat, he does not take a very active part in political contests. He is a Royal Arch Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Pythias, a Knight of Honor and a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor. Mr. Turner has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Alice Smith, to whom he was married in 1871, and to this marriage there were born four children: Porter (deceased), W.A., C.C., both locomotive engineers, and Maud (deceased). His second wife was Miss Minnie Eberhart, and by this marriage he has two children, Minnie (deceased) and C.M., Jr.
Notable Men of Tennessee - Transcribed by, Kim Mohler)

blu_back.gif - 6631 Bytes