Source: The Goodspeed History of Williamson
(Unless otherwise noted)
William E. Alexander
William E. Alexander, a prominent citizen of Williamson County, was born in this State
July 8, 1831, and is the son of Jesse W. and Phoebe (Williams) Alexander, both natives of Tennessee. The father was born July 8, 1800, and moved to this county in
1807. He was a Mason in good standing and was noted for his hospitality. The mother was born in 1799, and is still
living at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. The father died October 19, 1870. Our subject followed agricultural
pursuits from early boyhood. In 1852 he wedded Miss Antoinette Lavender, a native of Tennessee, born in 1834, and the daughter of Nelson
and Purmelia (White) Lavender. To our subject and his wife were born eight
children: William C., Laura A., Ebenezer C., Lucy F. (deceased), Antoinette
V. (deceased), Volona L., Viola V., and Nora L. In 1885 Mr. Alexander moved
to his farm, which lies in the southeastern portion of the county, and contains 107 acres of finely cultivated
land. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
S. Anderson, an influential citizen of this district, was born in Williamson County
in the year 1825, and is one of eight children born to Joseph and Sallie
(Hartley) Anderson. Mr. Anderson has followed farming from early boyhood.
In 1847 he married Miss Ella Hartley,
a native of this county, born in 1827, and the daughter of Laburn and Nancy
(Carson) Hartley. To our subject and wife were born nine children: Sarah C., born August 14, 1849; Thomas W., August 14, 1851; John
W., August 27, 1853; William P., March 27, 1854; Sophia E., April 11, 1856; Robert B.,
deceased, born April 27, 1858; Berry G.,
born January 27, 1861; Eliza J., August
27, 1864; and Tennessee, March 29,
1868. In 1857 our subject moved to the farm upon which he is now living, which is known as "Cross Keys."
It contains 190 acres of land in a fine state of cultivation. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Democrat
in politics. He and wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Rev. Mark Lyell Andrews
Rev. Mark Lyell Andrews was born on the 2d day of December, 1796, between Lexington and Richmond, Ky. His parents
were born and reared in the State of Virginia, married and moved to Kentucky in the latter part of the year 1795.
In 1810 the father of our subject, George Andrews, moved to Williamson County, Tenn. May 16, 1816, our subject married Eliza
Dean, and in the fall of 1819 he became impressed religiously and sought
for and found pardon, after which he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, November, 1819, and was licensed as
a local preacher in September, 1822. In 1826 he was ordained deacon by Bishop Soule, and in 1836 was ordained an
elder, at Columbia, by Bishop Roberts. In the economy of the church, there being no provision made to support her
local ministers, he was forced to look to other sources for employment to support a large and growing family. In
March, 1840, he was elected clerk of the Circuit Court of Williamson County, and re-elected thereafter from time
to time until the year 1874, having held the office continuously for a period of 34 years. This is a long time
to hold an office, especially in a country notoriously fond of rotation in public life. In 1874, his health declining
at that time, he withdrew from any further wish to serve the public and retired to private life. He died at his
residence two miles west of Franklin, November 16, 1878, at the age of eighty-one. He was a blessing to the dying,
and stood by the bedside of more dying men and women than most any one else in our State history. He was an example
to the living and a benefactor to his race. The world is vastly better off from his having lived in it, and is
indeed poorer in Christian charity now that he has gone to his reward.
John Andrews, an influential citizen of Williamson County, was born in this State December 18, 1813. His father,
James Andrews, was born in North Carolina,
in 1785, and in 1805 was married to Jane McGuire, also a native of North Carolina, who was born in 1787. To this union were born seven children --
six sons and one daughter -- all dead but our subject. The father fought in the Creek Indian war and died in 1850.
The mother died in 1845. Our subject took to the hymeneal altar, September 20, 1840, Minerva
Matthews, who was born in this State February 28, 1818, and who is the daughter
of Isham and Mary B. (Simms) Matthews,
the former born in 1782 and died in 1862, and the latter born 1788 and died in 1865. Our subject and wife are the
parents of three children: Nannie R.,
born July 18, 1841; Mary E., born
January 20, 1845; and Lucy J. born
August 23, 1846. Mr. Andrews followed farming until 1838, after which he clerked in a drug store at Franklin. In
1847 he began merchandising at Peytonsville this district and was very successful in that business. He was also
postmaster there for two years. In 1853 he moved to his present farm which consists of 223 acres of good land.
He has besides this farm 144 acres of land in this district. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church South, and Mr. Andrews is a stanch Democrat.
William Armstrong, deceased, was born in Virginia in the year 1809, and like the average country boy received his
education in the primitive schools. In 1813 he came to Tennessee and located in Williamson County. He entered on
life's journey with Miss Elizabeth Leigh
as his companion November 2, 1836. Mrs. Armstrong was a daughter of Benjamin
Leigh, a native of North Carolina, who immigrated to Tennessee in 1812,
and married Martha Whitby. Only two
children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong: William W. and Benjamin
F., both of whom are dead; William W. died November 18, 1860 and Benjamin
F. died while in the service of his country during the late civil war between the North and the South. Our subject
moved to the Seventh District, Williamson County, in 1838, to the place known as "Rocky Hill," where
he died February 20, 1879. He was a man who had the respect and esteem of all who knew him, and was a worthy member
of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Armstrong is still living at "Rocky Hill," six miles north
of Franklin, and is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
John Atwood was born in what is now Stokes County, N. C., October 22, 1846, son of William F. and Mary (Steele)
Atwood, and of English descent. The father was born in Virginia in 1803, and the mother in North Carolina in 1808;
they both died in North Carolina. Our subject came to Tennessee in 1868 and settled at Nashville, where he engaged
in the broom-making business. This he continued in that city until 1873, after which he clerked in a grocery store
until 1876. He then engaged in the grocery business for himself and has since continued that occupation. He is
one of the leading business men of the county, and handled last year over 400,000 pounds of broom corn. May 28,
1878, he wedded Maggie A. Sinclair,
of this county, and this union resulted in the birth of three children: John
B., Bessie May and Jeneva V. Mr. Atwood is a Democrat, a member of the K.
of H., and also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mrs. Atwood is a member of the Christian Church.
Robert A. Bailey
Robert A. Bailey, son of Albert H. and Louise A. (Figuers) Bailey, was born in the town of Franklin, Tenn., September 11, 1849. The father was born in Virginia,
and at an early day immigrated to Tennessee and settled in Franklin. He was both a farmer and merchant, and in
early life was married to Miss Louisa A. Figuers, and four children were born to them: John H., William T.,
Patrick R. and Robert R. The father died in 1852, and his son John H. died
August 4, 1845. William T. was killed at the battle of Missionary Ridge. Our subject resided on his father's farm
until the year 1868, when he engaged as salesman in the dry goods house of J. W. Harrison, where he remained for
six years. He then engaged in the same business for himself, but in 1875 sold his stock of goods in Franklin and
purchased a farm in the adjoining county. In 1872 he was united in marriage to Miss Leonora Mayberry, and three
children have blessed their union: Henry M., William T. and Robert A. Mrs. Bailey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Thomas R. Barrick
Thomas R. Barrick, station agent and general manager for the Louisville & Nashville Railway at this place,
was born in Glasgow, Ky., November 7, 1862, and is the son of J. R. and Lou
M. (Moss) Barrick. His parents were both natives of Barren County, Ky. The
father was born in 1824, and for a number of years was editor of the Atlanta Constitution and gained some prominence as a writer and contributor to some of the leading papers and
magazines of the country. He died at Atlanta in 1869. The mother was born in 1820 and died in 1885. The subject
was educated at the schools of his native county, and the early years of his business life were spent in the drug
and dry goods business as clerk. At sixteen years of age he began the study of telegraphy. In 1880 he was telegraph
operator at Columbia, Tenn. In 1882 he came to Franklin, where he has ever since been station agent. He attends
to all the railway business at this place, and enjoys a lucrative and responsible position with the Louisville
& Nashville Company. He is thoroughly posted in railway affairs, and is one of the most popular railroad men
on the Louisville & Nashville line. January 20, 1886, he wedded Miss
Mattie A. Brown, a daughter of Benjamin
and Virgia Brown of this County. He is a Democrat and a member of the Presbyterian
Church. Mrs. Barrick is a member of the Christian Church. They are leading young people of the county.
John J. Beech
John J. Beech, druggist, was born in Williamson County November 12, 1826, son of Robert
A. and Martha C. (Beech) Beech, and is of English extraction. His father
was born in Nottaway County, Va., in 1798, and his mother in Charlotte, Va., in 1800. His paternal grandfather,
John Beech, was also a Virginian,
and was a faithful soldier in the Revolutionary war. The Beech family came to Williamson County from Virginia at
a very early day, and here, in 1843, the mother of our subject died, and his father follolwed in 1855. Our subject,
John J. Beech, passed his youthful
days on the farm and secured a good education in the Franklin schools. In 1844 he went to Nashville and began learning
the drug business, and in 1851 commenced the same business for himself in Nashville in partnership with Dr. Samuel
Flemming. This he continued until 1860, when he removed to Austin, Tx., and for four years was very successfully
engaged in the drug business in that city. In 1865 he removed to Franklin, and in 1866 began the drug business
in this place, where he has since continued. He is the oldest druggist in Franklin and one of the oldest in the
State. In 1851 he wedded Sarah J. Johnson,
of Williamson County, and became the father of one son, Eugene L. Mr. Beech is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
Thomas Hart Benton
He was born in Orange County, North Carolina, March 14, 1782. His father was a lawyer of fair standing, and his
mother a Virginia woman of good family.
He was for a time at the University of North Carolina, but did not graduate, as his course, brought her family
to Tennessee, settling near Nashville. Nevertheless Benton, with his keen and strong intellect and great ambition,
continued his studies, and as Roosevelt says, became a cultivated, and even a learned man. He was admitted to the
bar at Nashville in 1806, and began the practice at Franklin, Williamson County. His abilities were such that he
could not fail to be prominent in any field of intellectual work, and there can be no doubt that if he had been
inclined to devote himself to the law he would have attained eminence in the profession. His inclinations, however,
were toward politics, and in 1811 he was elected to the Legislature. The judiciary system of the state was, at
this time, undergoing reformation, and Benton seems to have interested himself actively and intelligently in the
reforms. Roosevelt states that he introduced and secured the passage of a bill giving negroes the full benefit
of trial by jury. The Army Register of the United States makes Benton Lieutenant-Colonel of the 39th U. S. Infantry,
which was commanded by Col. John Williams. He held this commission from June 18, 1813, to January 15, 1815. From
December, 1812, to April, 1813, he had been Colonel of Tennessee Militia. Shortly after the close of the war of
1812, he removed to Missouri, which was his domicile thenceforth. It is surmised that his difficulty with Jackson
was the cause of his emigration.
It is not probably that personally he was afraid of Jackson, but at that time the hero of New Orleans had grown
to such proportions that Tennessee was no place for a man whose pride and ambition could not be satisfied with
any position except the foremost.
Thomas O. Betts
Thomas O. Betts is a son of Thomas and Clarrisa (Whittington) Betts, and was born in Davidson County, Tenn., November 21, 1834. The Betts family are natives
of Pennsylvania, the grandfather of our subject moving to Nashville at an early day, and erecting the first hotel
in the place. He afterward moved to Belleview and operated a grist-mill and distillery for a number of years. Our
subject's father was a tanner by trade, and owned a farm on Harpeth River. He became the father of ten children,
and died in 1845. Our subject is one of five surviving children, and from early youth has shown aptitude for merchandising
and has always followed that occupation. In 1875 he was married to Miss Margaret
M. Burk, who is a native of Washington City. Mr. Betts began merchandising
in Thompson's Station in 1877, under the firm name of T. O. Betts & Co. They carry stock of $8,000, and do
an annual business of $13,000.
William F. Bingham
William F. Bingham was born in the county where he now resides, September 25, 1838, son of James J. and Amelia (Haley) Bingham, and is of Irish lineage.
The parents born in Guilford County, N. C., and Halifax County, Va., in 1800 and 1807, and died in Williamson County,
Tenn., in 1876 and 1872, respectively. Their family consisted of nine children, our subject being the sixth. He
received a common school education, and learned the tanner's trade, which he followed three years. He enlisted
in the First Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and served four years. He was slightly wounded at the battle of Murfreesboro,
Tenn., and was a participant in some of the hardest fought battles of the war. Since the close of that conflict
he has followed farming, with the exception of six years, when he served as sheriff of Williamson County. He was
married, March 1, 1867 to Miss Susan Davis,
of the same county as himself. Mr. Bingham is a Democrat, and belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities.
He and wife are members of the Christian Church.
James J. Bingham
James J. Bingham, farmer and merchant, was born November 22, 1840, in Williamson County, Tenn., son of J. J. and Amelia (Haley) Bingham, and is of Irish
descent. The family came from North Carolina to Tennessee at a very early day. Our subject received a common school
education, and has made farming his chief occupation through life. He was in the Eleventh Tennessee Cavalry, Confederate
States Army, and served one year. He was married to Miss Luversa E. Dodd, September 27, 1864. They have had five children, four now living; Thomas R. born in 1865;
Laura Lee born in 1868; Jennie D.,
born in 1870, and Sallie M., born
in 1872. Mr. Bingham and wife belong to the Christian Church. Mr. Bingham, by his untiring application to business,
has secured reasonable results, and is now spending a happy life with his family.
Thomas H. Bond
Thomas H. Bond was born July 26, 1826, and is a son of William Bond, who was an early settler of Tennessee and a native of Virginia. He located in Williamson
County in 1804 and a year later was married to Miss Nancy Dabney, of North Carolina, and thirteen children were born to them: Sidney
S., Margaret, Lucy, Elizabeth, Bethenia, John D., Morris L., Charles A., William J., Thomas H., Robert W., Benjamin
F. and Nancy D. William and Nancy Bond died in 1850 and 1868, respectively.
They were members of the Christian Church. The place of our subject's nativity was Williamson County, Tenn., where
he was educated in the common schools. September 12, 1850, he wedded Miss
Mary M. Banks, who bore him twelve children:
Henry M., Laura E., Bethenia D., Annie M., James D., Benjamin F., Thomas H., Florence L., William W., John D.,
Morris L. and Nannie D. Bethenia died in 1861, Morris L. in 1867, and John D. in 1884. In 1845 our subject began
merchandising in Nashville, continuing six years, and then returned to Williamson County and resumed farming. He
owns a very fine tract of land and is a member of the Christian Church. In politics he is a Democrat and was a
Whig before the dissolution of that party.
James C. Bostick
James C. Bostick was born in 1835, in Williamson County, Tenn. He is a son of James A. and Nancy Bostick, and grandson
of John and Mary G. Bostick, who were
born in North Carolina, and settled in Tennessee in 1809. Our subject's mother was the daughter of William and Sarah King, born in North Carolina, and
settled in Tennessee at an early date. The parents of our subject were married in this State in 1827. To them were
born eight children: Thomas K., Mary J., James C., Manoah H., Sarah P., Martha
E., John and William. James C. attended the Hardeman Academy, near Triune,
in 1854-55, and the Western Military Academy, in Sumner County, Tenn., where he fitted himself for civil engineering,
and in 1856 served in that capacity for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Three years later he abandoned
this and engaged in the lumber business in Nashville, Tenn., the firm being known as Bostick & Abston. At the
breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted in the Thirteenth Tennessee Cavalry under Gen. Morgan, and participated
in all the principal battles. At the close of the war he returned to Sumner County, where he remained until 1869,
when he moved to Williamson County where he now resides. In 1859 he wedded Fannie
L. Abston, daughter of Merry and Mary
Abston. To Mr. and Mrs. Bostick five children were born: James A., Merry C., Mary A., Sallie P., and Fannie M. Mr. Bostick was elected county surveyor
in 1873 and justice of the peace in 1871, which office he still holds. Mrs. Bostick died in 1885. She was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church as is her husband. He is a Democrat in politics and is of English descent.
Richard Hyde Bostick
BOSTICK, Richard Hyde, banker; born, Franklin, Tenn., Apr. 2, 1850; son of Richard H. and Rebecca (Cannon) Bostick;
educated in Franklin College, and Bryant & Strutton Business College, Cincinnati, O.; married, Jackson, Tenn.,
May, 1881, Apphia Taylor Chester. Began business career in Memphis, Tenn., as bookkeeper for wholesale grocery
house, 1872; moved to Jackson, Tenn., 1873, and engaged in retail grocery business until 1876; moved to St. Louis,
October, 1876, and became cashier and bookkeeper for cotton firm of Houston, Sayle & Co.; bought interest in
the Sayle-Stegall Commission Co., 1884, and continued in cotton business until 1893, when bought interest in J.
M. Houston Grocer Co., of which was vice president until 1908; vice president Wellston Trust Co. since November,
1910. Democrat. Mason; member Jackson Commandery, Knights Templar. Recreation: fishing. Office: Wellston, Mo. Residence:
4007 Delmar Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Joseph H. Bowman
Joseph H. Bowman was born July 5, 1847, in Madison County, Miss., where he remained until the death of his father.
He then came to Tennessee and located near Franklin, where he received his education. March, 1863, Mr. Bowman shouldered
his musket and enlisted in Company D, Thirty-second Tennessee Regiment of Infantry. He was in Bragg's retreat from
Tennessee, and also with Johnston in Georgia. He received a wound June 22, 1864, from which he feels the effects
to this day. He was paroled May, 1865. After the war he clerked in a store in Franklin, and afterward went to Nashville
and clerked there for some time. Leaving Nashville he wedded Miss Jennie
E. Brown second daughter of Thomas
and Margaret S. Brown. Mr. Brown died January 13, 1870. Mrs. Brown is still
living, and is a member of the Christian Church. Our subject moved to Williamson County and engaged in farming,
and by his union with Jennie E. Brown
became the father of ten children: Thomas B., William H., Joseph H., Maggie
B., Elizabeth M., George B., Jennie B., Inez B., Dunklin C. and James G.
Mr. Bowman has a fine farm of about 148 acres, and it is known as the "Owl Nest Farm." Mrs. Bowman is
a worthy member of the Christian Church. Our subject's father, William Bowman, was born January 8, 1809 and received his education in the University of Nashville. September
20, 1843, he wedded Miss Elizabeth M. Maney,
daughter of William Maney, of Franklin.
William Bowman was a Master Mason,
and died at his residence in Mississippi, June 27, 1853. The mother is still living, and is a consistent member
of the Presbyterian Church. She was for many years a teacher in Ward's Seminary at Nashville.
Philip Boxley, son of Harrison and Nancy (Claude) Boxley, was born July 16, 1841 in Williamson County, Tenn. Harrison
Boxley was born in Virginia, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1828, and
settled in Williamson County, where he afterward became a well-to-do farmer. His wife was born in Tennessee, and
to them were born two children: Philip and James. Mrs. Boxley died in 1844, and Mr. Boxley wedded Mrs. Maury (a widow), who bore him one child, a daughter named Mary. Our subject was educated in the country schools, and in 1871 was united in marriage to
Miss Hattie Boxley. He enlisted in
the Southern Army in 1861, in the Twentieth Tennessee Regiment, under Col. Battle, and was a participant in the
following battles: Shiloh, Missionary Ridge, Chattanooga, Franklin, Atlanta and Vicksburg. In 1869 he removed to
Arkansas, where he remained two years, when he returned to Tennessee and located on the West Harpeth River, in
Williamson County, where he owns a fine farm and is a good citizen.
William W. Brooks
William W. Brooks was born in Franklin County, N. C., in 1817, and is the son of Christopher
and Martha Brooks, who were married in North Carolina, December 22, 1808,
and came to Tennessee in 1824. They became the parents of six children: Martha
A., Susan, Christopher B., William W., Mary F., and Alexander N. B. Our
subject received good educational advantages, and has spent his days in farming and blacksmithing. He located on
his present farm 1852. It consists of 198 acres of valuable land, well improved, near Owen's Station. Mr. Brooks
started in life with but little capital, except his hands and willing heart, and by his energy and good management
is in very comfortable circumstances, financially. July 11, 1847, he wedded Martha
Alley, who was born in August 1828, in Williamson County. She is a daughter
of Walter and Perna C. Alley, of North
Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks have these four children: William, Mary E.,
Martha J. and Eliza L. Mrs. Brooks died May 29, 1872, and Mr. Brooks took
for his second wife Mary C. Brown
(widow of Dr. H. T. Brown), daughter
of David and Mary C. Beech. She was
born August 14, 1833, and became the mother of one child, Kate B. Mr. Brooks belongs to the Democratic party and is of English extraction.
John A. Buchanan
John A. Buchanan was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., December 16, 1835, son of Moses
and Sarah Buchanan, and grandson of Maj.
John Buchanan, who emigrated from Scotland to America about 1750 and was
a participant in the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812. The father of our subject was born in Tennessee April
4, 1806, and the mother July 16, 1810. She was the daughter of James and
Ann Ridley who were born in Tennessee. Moses
Buchanan and his wife were married about 1826 and became the parents of
these children: Sarah A., Mary J., James A., Elizabeth C., John A., Katherine
L., Tennessee L., George R., Samuel J., Moses R., Hance H., Henry S., Nannie A. and Virginia L. John A. our
subject, received a liberal edcation and in early life was engaged in the milling business with his father. At
the breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted in Douglas' regiment and was third lieutenant of Carter's company.
At the end of two years he was captured and taken to Murfreesboro but after a short time was paroled and returned
home to Rutherford County. March 21, 1860, he wedded Miss Ridley who was born in Giles County, September 23, 1842, daughter of William
and Minerva T. Ridley. Our subject located on his present farm of 160 acres
in 1879. He is the father of these children: Moses R. born July 14, 1861 and died January 8, 1885; Sallie M., born November 7, 1863; John B., born December 29, 1866 and died September 24, 1872; Henry
L., born October 16, 1869; Nannie, born October 6, 1871 and died October 12, 1872; Mattie
L., born August 18, 1873; Willie M., born October 21, 1875; and died October 1, 1876; Scrap
H., born December 31, 1877; and Jimmie, born May 8, 1880. Mr Buchanan is a Democrat in politics and in 1880 was elected justice
of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan have two adopted daughters: Nannie P., born December 11, 1866, and Beulah C., born November 8, 1871, daughters of William and
E. B. Buchanan
E. B. Buchanan, farmer, was born in Williamson County, Tenn., August 9, 1840, son of Robert
S. Buchanan, who was born in this county February 3, 1818. He received a
common school education and was married in 1838 to Miss Harriet Bateman and our subject is the second of their twelve children. The father died in June, 1883, and
the mother in March, 1862. The family first came to Tennessee from Pennsylvania in 1778, and were among the first
settlers of Nashville. Our subject received an academic education at Franklin, Tenn., and assisted his father on
the farm until twenty years of age, when he began working for the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Company, and
resided in Collierville until the breaking out of the war. He then enlisted in Company C, Fourth Tennessee, and
was in the battles of Perryville, Corinth, Murfreesboro, and the Atlanta campaign. He was captured June 21, 1864,
but made his escape at Murfreesboro and returned home but soon re-enlisted and was in the battles of Franklin and
Nashville. After his return home he began clerking on a steam-boat, continuing one year and then engaged in the
mercantile business in Nashville one year. He then taught school the following year and later engaged in farming.
He was deputy sheriff from September 1870 to September 1874, and has been justice of the peace from 1874 to the
present time, his term expiring in 1888; has also been deputy county clerk. He was married, February 2, 1868 to
Miss Mattie McKay, daughter of John P. and Margaret McKay. They are the parents of
these children: John M., Hattie, R.D., and Willie E. Mr. Buchanan is a Democrat and belongs to the Masonic fraternity, I.O.O.F., K. of H., and A. O.
U. W. He and wife belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Rev. Claudius Buchanan
Rev. Claudius Buchanan, a native of Williamson County, was born December 17, 1842. He father, Joseph Buchanan, was born in this State about 1809, and in
1836 he wedded Martha Edmiston, a
native of Tennessee, born about 1809. To this union were born seven children, two of whom are yet living, our subject
being one of them. The father died in 1876. Our subject's grandfather, John
Buchanan, was born in Washington County, Va., in 1772, and married Margaret Edmondson in 1798; she was also a native
of Virginia, born about 1774. They came to Tennessee about 1800 and purchased 200 acres of land in this district
on what is known as the "Old High Tower Road." He died in 1820 and the grandmother in 1858. Our subject
has followed agricultural pursuits the principal part of his life. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Twentieth
Tennessee Regiment, was taken prisoner at Missionary Ridge, imprisoned at Rock Island, Ill., and retained there
fifteen months. At the close of the war he returned home and in 1866 was married to Miss Dolly J. Smithson, natives,
respectively, of Virginia and Tennessee. The father was born about 1791 and served as a private in the late war;
was wounded in the Cheat Mountain campaign. He died in 1872 and the mother in 1850. To our subject and wife were
born six children: Josephine E., born
September 11, 1867; M. Blanche, born
December 1869; William C., born August
10, 1871; John B., born July 24, 1874;
Lillian M., born September 10, 1877,
and Gerald M., born March 28, 1870.
In January, 1867, Mr. Buchanan moved to the farm upon which he is now living and in 1870 purchased it from his
father. It contains 300 acres of medium land in a fair state of cultivation. In 1871 he obtained license to preach,
and has since been a local preacher. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is a Democrat in politics. He
and wife are devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Josiah Butt was born in Bedford County, Tenn., February 6, 1832, son of Nathaniel
and Rebecca Butt, who were born in this State. Nathaniel Butt was the son of James
Butt, who came to this State from the "Old Dominion" and settled
in Davidson County about 1814. The mother, Rebecca Butt, was a daughter of Joseph E. Cook, who came from North Carolina to this State in the early part of the present century. The parents
of our subject were married about 1828, and to their union were born five children -- threes sons and two daughters:
Arthur, Josiah, Mary, Rebecca, and Nathaniel.
Our subject was educated in the common schools, and in 1866 located on his present farm, where he has followed
tilling the soil, wagon-making and blacksmithing, and is the owner of 175 acres of valuable farming land. By the
sweat of his brow he has acquired his present property, and deserves much credit therefor. January 19, 1854, he
wedded Martha Jackson, daughter of
John J. Jackson, a native of North
Carolina. Both Mr. and Mrs. Butt are members of the Missionary Baptist Church at Concord. To them were born nine
children: Porterfield, Theodore, Clara, Joanna, Willie, Georgiana, Ada, Olive
and Nettie. Mr. Butt is a member of the Democratic party, and the family
are of German-Irish descent.
COL. MOSCOW B. CARTER
COL. MOSCOW B. CARTER, of Franklin, Tenn., was born in that city, on Dec. 5, 1825. He is the son of Fountain B.
and Mary (Atkinson) Carter, both natives of Virginia. The father was born in Halifax county, April 6, 1797, and
was a son of Francis W. Carter, who was born in Virginia in 1767. Francis W. was the son of Samuel Carter, likewise
a native of Virginia, but of French descent and a physician by profession. Francis Carter was a farmer by occupation.
In 1809 he married Sarah Anderson, a native of Virginia, and soon afterward they removed to Williamson county,
Tenn., settled about three miles from Franklin, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Seven children
were born to them. Fountain B., father of Col. M.B. Carter, remained at home until a young man, when he went to
Franklin, learned the shoemaker's trade and followed it for several years. Then he purchased a farm adjoining Franklin
and lived there until his death at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died at the age of forty-six. Her father
served as county surveyor and was justice of the peace for several years. Fountain B. and Mary Carter had twelve
children born to them, but two of whom are living now: Col. M.B. Carter and his brother, Francis W., of California.
M.B. Carter was educated in the Franklin schools and remained at home until twenty years old. In 1846 he organized
a company for service in the Mexican war and was elected lieutenant. The company was not needed, however, so he
went to Nashville and attached himself to Capt. Harris Maulden's company, which was mustered into service in May,
1846, and sent to Pt. Isabelle, Tex. Colonel Carter served twelve months, taking part at Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo,
and in numerous minor engagements. He returned home in 1847 and the same year made a trip to New Orleans, St. Louis
and Chicago. He helped construct the first telegraph line in the State of Illinois. In 1848 he returned to Franklin,
took up the occupation of surveyor and followed it for two or three years. In 1851 he was married to Orlena C.
Dobbins, who was born near Boone's Hill in Lincoln county, Tenn. The same year he engaged in the grocery business,
which he followed for two years. In 1854 he bought a farm four miles north of Franklin and was living there when
the war broke out. He at once set to work to organize a company, of which he was elected captain, and it was mustered
into the Confederate service as Company H, Twentieth Tennessee infantry. He was made lieutenant-colonel on the
organization of the regiment, which was assigned to Zollicoffer's brigade. On Jan. 19, 1862, Colonel Carter was
captured at the battle of Fishing Creek, but prior to that time he had been in a number of skirmishes. After seeing
the inside of a number of prisons, Colonel Carter was exchanged at Aiken's Landing in August, 1862. He returned
home, and in 1863 rejoined his old regiment, but remained only a short time, when he was paroled. He returned home
and continued to live in the vicinity of Franklin until 1898, when he moved to Triune, where he lived for five
years. At the end of that time he returned to the vicinity of his old home and now lives two miles south of Franklin.
His first wife died in 1860, and he married again, in 1866, his second wife being America Cattles, a native of
the county. She died in 1876, and Colonel Carter married Marmela E. Miot, a native of South Carolina. Five children
were born to the first marriage, three of them being still alive: Mary O. Gillespie, of Franklin, and Walter F.
and Hugh E., of Kansas. Of four born to the second marriage, those living are Alma Parry and Moscow B., of Franklin.
The children of the third wife are Emma, at home, and Frank, in Nebraska. Colonel Carter is a member of the Masonic
fraternity and is a Democrat in politics. At the present time he is living a retired life, seeking the rest and
relaxation which his active and industrious career has earned. He is one of the most prominent men of the county
and is now the oldest living native white-born child of Franklin, and the only veteran of the Mexican war now living
in the county.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
HENRY HOWE COOK
HENRY HOWE COOK, of Franklin, Tenn., a well-known and successful lawyer and for several years the chancellor of
the sixth (now the seventh) district, at Nashville, was born in Williamson county, Tenn., Nov. 23, 1843. He was
educated at Franklin college, and at the beginning of the Civil war enlisted in the Confederate service as a private
in Company D, First Tennessee infantry. During his term of service he was with Gen. R.E. Lee at Cheat Mountain,
fought at Fort Donelson, Corinth, Shiloh, Tupelo, Munfordville, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Bean's Station,
Knoxville, Dandridge, Port Walthall, Drewry's Bluff and in the military operations around Petersburg near the close
of the war. Shortly after the battle of Tupelo he was made junior second lieutenant, and before the close of the
year became second lieutenant. After the battle of Chickamauga he was promoted to the rank of captain and commanded
his company in every engagement in which it participated after that time. At Drewry's Bluff he was captured, held
for a short time at Fort Monroe, Point Lookout and Fort Delaware, and was one of the 600 officers sent to Morris
Island and kept under fire during the siege of Charleston, S.C. In the battle of Murfreesboro he was twice wounded,
in the head and in the shoulder. After the war he took up the study of law, and in 1867 was admitted to the bar
at Franklin. He soon won a place in the front rank of the attorneys of the Williamson county bar, and in 1870 was
elected county judge. At the close of his first term he was re-elected for a second term of eight years, making
sixteen years in all that he presided over the county court. For the next ten years he was engaged in practice
at Franklin, where he built up a large and lucrative business. In 1896 he was elected chancellor. Judge Cook is
a member of Starnes camp of the United Confederate Veterans, at Franklin, where he still resides.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
Mrs. Edward H. East
EAST, Mrs. Edward H., philanthropist, born in Bethesda, Williamson county, Tenn., 15th March, 1849. Her father,
Rev. H. C. Horton. was a Virginian, her mother, Elizabeth Elliotte Kennedy, was a South Carolinian. Her grand parents
came from England and Ireland and could boast a coat-of-arms on both sides of the house, but strong republican
sentiments forbade a display of them. She came of Revolutionary stock. Lieutenant Kennedy fought under Gen. Francis
Marion and was rewarded for bravery, having on one occasion, with only himself and one other, put to rout twelve
Tories. Her father moved to Mississippi, where her girlhood was spent. She was educated in the Marshall Female
Institue, under the management of Pres. Joseph E. Douglas. As a young lady she was popular with old and young.
When the Mississippi & Tennessee R R. was being built through Mississippi, the work had to stop for want of
means when the road had been extended only fifty or sixty miles. A plan was suggested to get the men of the county
together to raise a fund. A May Queen feast and a barbecue in the woods were chosen. The dark-eyed, rosy-cheeked
little maiden, Tennie Horton, as she was called, only fourteen years old, was chosen queen, and she on that occasion
made a railroad speech that brought thousands of dollars out of the pockets of that then wealthy people. She became
the wife, when very young, of D. C. Ward, a merchant, who was killed 1n the war. During the war she was the only
protection of her old parents, with the exception of a few faithful servants who remained with them. Her life has
been one of great activity. In 1868 she became the wife of Judge East, a distinguished jurist, who sympathizes
with and aids her in all her work. She is now and has been for several years in the Woman's Christian Temperance
Union work. She is local president of the central union in Nashville, where she has for many years resided, and
is also corresponding secretary of the State. She was appointed State chairman of the Southern Woman's Council.
She has spent much time and money for the cause of temperance. In every reform movement she takes great interest.
When the Prohibition amendment was before the people of Tennessee, she was active in the work to create a sentiment
in its favor. A large tent, that had been provided in the city in which to conduct gospel services, she had moved
to every part of the city for a month, and procured for each night able Prohibition speeches. She has been a delegate
to every national convention since 1887. The poor of the city know her, for she never turns a deaf ear to their
appeals nor sends them away empty-handed. She taught a night school for young men and boys for two years. She has
written for several periodicals and been correspondent for newspapers. She has now a book ready for the publisher.
Being an active, busy woman, she finds but little time to write. She is the mother of five children, all living.
Source: (American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed
by Marla Snow.)
WATSON MEREDITH GENTRY, M.D.
WATSON MEREDITH GENTRY, M.D., an eminent physician and surgeon of Franklin, Tenn., was born near "Stockett's
church," Williamson county, Jan. 31, 1831, and is the second son of Theophilus Lacy and Rebecca Brice (Sappington)
Gentry. Doctor Gentry, on his paternal side, comes of Saxon blood. The name "Gentry" originally meant
scribes or learned people, and when surnames were adopted, David and Richard, the "scribes," became David
and Richard Gentry. The first known of the family in America were two brothers bearing the same names as the above,
David and Richard. They were British soldiers and came to America to assist the colonists in the Indian wars, about
1643. There they settled and raised large families. David was Doctor Gentry's ancestor, and his great-grandson,
Watson, was Doctor Gentry's grandfather, for whom he is named. Watson Gentry was a very young private in the Revolutionary
war, and when told he was entitled to a pension he replied: "Give it to some one who needs it worse than I
do. I fought for the liberty of my country, not for money." Watson Gentry's wife wasTheodocia Poindexter,
whose mother was of the Scottish clan of Chisholm. The Poindexters were French Huguenots, who fled to England and
there changed their names from the French "Paigndestre" to "Poindexter." John Poindexter was
the first of the name in the United States. On his maternal side, Doctor Gentry is descended from Lewis Stockell,
an officer in Queen Elizabeth's household (1558-1563), of Stephen's parish, County Kent, England. He married Jane
Ayleworth, of noble birth, of Kent and Essex counties. Their four sons were intimate friends and close neighbors
of Lord Baltimore. Capt. Thomas Stockell, the second son, patented three plantations in Maryland and was a distinguished
citizen, occupying many important positions. His wife was Mary Wells and their great-grandson, Capt. Thomas William
Stockell, was the grandfather of Doctor Gentry. The most noted of the Gentry family was Meredith Poindexter Gentry,
the "silver-tongued" orator, for many years a congressman. He was Doctor Gentry's uncle and the youngest
of ten children born to Watson and Theodocia Gentry. Webster said of him that he had the best voice ever given
to man and was the finest natural orator of the race. Doctor Watson Gentry received an academic education at Owen's
Hill, Triune and the Athlophremic institute, Edwin Paschal principal. At the age of twenty, he had completed the
English course, four years of Latin, Greek and mathematics, and then took charge of the academy at Gibson Wells,
Tenn., for two years. He next took up the study of medicine under Dr. ElihuEdmundson, of Giles county, and after
finishing entered the University of the City of New York, in September, 1852, and graduated in March, 1855, with
first honors. He was successful in the competitive examination for the position of surgeon in Bellevue hospital,
but procured a six months' leave of absence, and went abroad to study in the hospitals of Liverpool, London, Dublin
and Paris. On his return he took the position of house surgeon at Bellevue, where he was associated with ten other
surgeons and physicians. Here he became acquainted with all the notable medical men of New York. At the end of
his term of service in 1857, he returned to Tennessee and located at Shelbyville. He soon became noted, especially
in surgery, and was frequently called upon to go into a number of the surrounding counties to take charge of difficult
cases requiring a skilled surgeon. When the war broke out, Doctor Gentry was one of the first to enlist and was
appointed by Gov. Isham G. Harris a surgeon in the "provisional force of Tennessee volunteers," June
14, 1861. He was commissioned surgeon of the Seventeenth Tennessee regiment, with the rank of major of the cavalry,
and went into camp at Camp Trousdale, near Gallatin. Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer took command of the Eleventh, Seventeenth,
Eighteenth, Nineteenth and Twentieth regiments, with the cavalry regiments commanded by Colonels McNairy and Ashby,
and two companies of artillery, about 7,000 men in all. This constituted the right wing of the Tennessee army under
Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston. Doctor Gentry's first military surgery was performed at Rock Castle, where fourteen
were killed and many wounded. He was at the battles of Mill Springs, Murfreesboro, Corinth, Perryville, Hoover's
Gap, Chickamauga and Shiloh. On account of failing health he was relieved from field duty and assigned to the post
of Montgomery, where he was made chief of hospitals and had under his charge the Commercial, Concert Hall, Madison,
Montgomery Hall, Ladies', Watts, Stonewall, Wayside and the Camp hospitals. He was paroled June 21, 1865, but continued
in charge by request of Gen. A.J. Smith, of the Sixteenth army corps, until the sick were able to return to their
homes. In September he returned to Tennessee and resumed his practice. After the war he added to his reputation
as a surgeon by performing many difficult operations, especially those calling for abdominal surgery. As a physician
he has been very successful, and is as noted in his treatment of fevers and illness of that character as was his
distinguished great-uncle, Dr. John Sappington, Missouri's famous "doctor" and philanthropist, was gave
the first $20,000 to the fund of education, which was the nucleus of the public school system of that state. Owing
to a trouble of a paralytic nature, Doctor Gentry has been unable to pursue his practice for the last few years.
Just before the war he married Miss Martha A. Jones, the "beauty of Tennessee's capital." She once was
asked to sit for a portrait as one of "the beautiful women of the South," but, being a modest woman,
she declined the honor. She is the second daughter of Dr. John Bidley Jones, a Tennessee and Mississippi planter,
and Martha (Lane) Jones, whose grandfather, Col. Joel Lane, was the founder of the city of Raleigh, N.C. He gave
to the city Caswell, Burke, Nash, Moore and Capitol squares, and is known as the "enthusiast, patriot and
pioneer." He was of the Sir Ralph Lane family of England. Mrs. Gentry is also the great-great-granddaughter
of Col. John Hinton, Sr., who was one of Governor Tryon's guard and was at the battle of the "Alamance."
Later he and his son, Maj. John Hinton, took an active part in the Revolutionary war. She is also descended from
Legrand and Nathaniel Jones, members of the Provincial Congress "committee of safety," and "council
of the safety." Mrs. Gentry is quite an artist and musician, and "Maplehurst," the Gentry home,
is noted for being the birthplace of all the clubs and orders in the town. Dr. and Mrs. Gentry have but one child,
Susie, who is one of the best-known women of the state on account of her patriotic and historical work. She is
the state historian and regent of "Old Glory" chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, of which
she was the organizer and first regent in 1897. She has served as secretary and treasurer of Franklin chapter No.
14, United Daughters of the Confederacy; was the first "Daughter of the Confederacy" and "Colonial
Dame" in Williamson county; belongs to the Flag association of Philadelphia, and the Red Cross society. The
first "Flag Day" celebrated in Tennessee was at "Maplehurst," only a month after it became
National day. Miss Gentry is known as a writer, artist and composer of music. Her banjo piece for the piano is
considered one of the finest ever published. She has also illustrated several poems and is the originator of one
of the most unique collections in the world, a "gourd" collection that has attracted the attention of
scientists from Massachusetts to Louisiana, as well as others. It comprises the native and foreign gourds, including
specimens from Africa, China, Japan, Korea, Guatemala, Nicaraugua and Mexico.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
William Hardy Murfree
MURFREE, William Hardy, representative, was born in Hertford county, N.C., Oct. 2, 1781; son of Hardy and Sally
(Brickell) Murfree, and grandson of William and Mary (Moore) Murfree. He was graduated at the University of North
Carolina in 1801, was admitted to the bar and entered upon the practice of his profession. He represented Hertford
county in the North Carolina legislature in 1805, and 1812; was a presidential elector in the 13th and 14th congresses,
1813-17, where he supported Madisonís administration and the war of 1812. He removed form Murfreesboro. N.C., in
1823 to his estate in Williamson county, Tenn., where he spent the rest of his life. He was married in 1808 to
Elizabeth Mary, daughter of James Maney of Hertford county, N.C. He died in Nashville, Tenn., in 1827.
(Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by
C.M. TURNER, division superintendent of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis railroad, Dickson, Tenn., is
a son of Andrew W. and Eunice (Theise) Turner, and was born in Williamson county, Tenn., March 8, 1853. Both parents
were natives of Scotland, but came in their early lives to America. They settled in North Carolina, but in 1852
came to Tennessee, where they passed the remainder of their lives. He was a railroad contractor, and after coming
to Tennessee lived in Williamson and Davidson counties. He died at Kingston Springs, Cheatham county, Tenn. He
and his wife had five sons and five daughters, six of the family yet living. The father served in the Mexican war,
as a major, and was several times slightly wounded. When the Civil war broke out he drilled several companies for
the Confederate service. C.M. Turner attended the common schools of his native county, where he received the greater
part of his education, and began work as a railroader at the bottom of the ladder. He has worked in all departments,
except the department of telegraphy, and has filled nearly every position from brakeman to division superintendent.
Most of his life he has been with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad Company, though for four
years he was with the Louisville & Nashville road. Although an unyielding Democrat, he does not take a very
active part in political contests. He is a Royal Arch Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Pythias, a Knight of Honor
and a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor. Mr. Turner has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Alice
Smith, to whom he was married in 1871, and to this marriage there were born four children: Porter (deceased), W.A.,
C.C., both locomotive engineers, and Maud (deceased). His second wife was Miss Minnie Eberhart, and by this marriage
he has two children, Minnie (deceased) and C.M., Jr.
(Source: Notable Men of Tennessee - Transcribed by, Kim Mohler)