Texas Genealogy Trails

Genealogy Trails History Group

 

line

History of Ector County, Texas

line

Ector County and Its People

Ector County

The Texas & Pacific Railway passes diagonally through Ector County, and soon after that road was completed in 1881, three stations were established within the present limits of Ector County-Odessa, now the county seat, Douro and Metz. These were the shipping stations for stock gathered from the surrounding ranges and points of receipt for supplies to the ranchmen, who in scattered numbers, occupied all the country on both sides of the railroad. Off the railroad no other towns have been established in thirty years, and the level plains and breaks of the county have never had any important use except for the grazing of live stock. The eastern part of the county belongs in the shallow water belt, and during the last few years some development has been done in farming by irrigation. There is not a running stream of any kind in the county, but the rich growth of nutritious grasses has made the county a favorite resort for stockmen for many years.
     Ector County was created from the western portion of Tom Green County, February 26, 1887, and was organized January 6, 1891. Its population in 1890 was 224; in 1900, 381; and in 1910, 1,178, and immigration has been fairly rapid during recent years. In 1903 the property valuation was $1,324,184; in 1909, $3,224,731; and in 1913, $3,268,005.
     In 1910 there were 84 farms in the county, preceding census having reported 25. The total area of the county is 570,880 acres, of which 452,860 acres were occupied in farms in 1910, but only 4,796 acres in "improved land," representing an important increase since 1900, when only 92 acres were so classified. The chief source of wealth is cattle, and 23,765 were enumerated in 1910, and about 1,400 horses and mules. The acreage in kafir corn and milo maize in 1909 was 1,524; in hay and forage crops, 340; in cotton, 222; and in corn, 216.  Source: A History of Texas and Texans, Volume 2  By Francis White Johnson (Published by American Historical Society, 1914) -Transcribed by Veneta McKinney


HOME

 Copyright by Genealogy Trails
All rights reserved