Ector County Texas

Death News and Obituaries




El Paso, Texas, June 8, 1899 - Word reached here yesterday from Odessa, Texas, of the killing of two cowboys there Tuesday by a deputy sheriff. The cowboys, Buck Heart and Eugene Kelly, rode into town and proceeded to shoot up the place in the once regulation style. Deputy Sheriff Joe Brown heard the shooting and as soon as possible attempted to arrest the two men, whereupon the cowboys turned their weapons on the deputy. He responded promptly, with the result that when the smoke cleared away both Heart and Kelly were found to be mortally wounded and both died in a few hours later (unknown source)

Killed by His Horse
W.D. Copeland, owner of the Bar D Ranch, near Odessa, Tex., was thrown from a horse and his neck was broken. [The Grenada Sentinel. (Grenada, Miss.), 17 May 1902]

Former Ector County Judge Dies
Odessa, Texas, Mar  26 - S. W. Hilburn, 75, former county judge and a resident of Ector county for thirty years, died Thursday. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Fort Worth, Tex., Mar 26, 1915)

ODESSA - Edna Louise "Lucy" Millwood, 81, of Odessa, died Saturday, April 4, 1998, at Medical Center Hospital. She was born Aug. 14, 1916, in Spartanburg, S.C.
     Services will be held at 4 p.m. today at Sunset Heights Baptist Church located at 2401 W. 16th St. in Odessa with the Rev. Jess Little of­ficiating. Burial will be at Sun­set Memorial Gardens. Hubbard-Kelly Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements,
Lucy moved to Odessa in 1961 from South Carolina. She was a restaurant employee until her retirement in 1982. She was Baptist.
     She is survived by her daughter, Peggy Alford and her husband, E.J. Alford; granddaughter, LaJuan Al­ford and her husband, Clay­ton; grandson. Jack Alford and his wife, Debbie; two great-grandsons, Joshua Horshinski and Dusty Alford. all of Odessa; brother, Edwin McBee and sister-in-law, Molly McBee, of New Port Richey. Fla.   If desired, memorials may be made to Sunset Heights Baptist Church. - Transcribed and submitted by Gene Phillips

Buford Freelon “Pat” Patterson, age 78, passed away Friday, May 7, 2004, at his residence in Odessa, Texas. He was born June 3, 1925, to Buford D. and Flossie Patterson, in Chester County, Tenn. He married Mary Genetta Stanfill on January 22, 1946, in Corinth, Miss., later moving to Odessa in 1955 from Tennessee. He was a manager in the body shop at Sloan Brothers Buick before retiring. He was a loving Christian husband, father, and grandfather. He was a Protestant. He was in the U.S. Army and served during World War II. He was a local and state president of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, a 32nd Degree Mason, a lifetime member of VFW, a Lions Club Volunteer and a baseball coach for Little League through the American Legion League. Survivors include his wife, Mary Patterson of Odessa; sons, Byron F. Patterson and wife, Pam, of Gardendale; and Donald L. Patterson and wife, Traci, of Venus; daughter, Deborah K. Goldie and husband, Thomas J. S. Goldie, of Spicewood; brothers, Milburn "Jim" and wife, Ramelle Patterson, of Decater, Ala.; Hulon and wife, Faye, Patterson, of Jackson, Tenn.; Frank and wife, Lottie, Patterson of Decatur, Miss.; sisters, Bonnie and Frank Howard of Chapel Hill, Tenn.; and Thelma and Howard Justice of Dothan, Ala.; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.Visitation is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday, May 9, 2004, at Hubbard-Kelly. Services are scheduled for 4 p.m. Monday, May 10, 2004, at Hubbard-Kelly Funeral Home Chapel, with the Rev. Doug Herget officiating. Burial will follow at Sunset Memorial Gardens. ervices are entrusted to Hubbard-Kelly Funeral Home.  Source: Submitted by Donald G Smith
DEATH OF A VALUED FRIEND. On May the 4th, 1897 at the little town of Odessa, Texas, there passed from earth to the realms of immortality, a life so full of gentleness and so thoroughly imbued with patience and Christian resignation that all who knew her realize that a good and true woman has entered into the reward reserved for the righteous. Mrs. T. P. Scott, nee Annie Smythe, was born in Dixon, Solano county, January 24, 1869. She leaves but few acquaintances and no relatives in Yolo county, therefore this event possesses m special local interest, and the record of it will probably be read by the DEMOCRAT'S constituency - just as they read of such events in the lives of other good people whom they do not know -  without awakening any sentiment of more tenderness than kindly sympathy. There are friendships of such an exalted character that we cannot fathom their mysterious influences. When I say that from infancy to womanhood she was one of the gentlest characters I ever knew, I feel that my readers will understand and appreciate the impulse that impels me to pay a humble but sincere tribute of mortality to immortality, and to lay a modest and unpretentious forget-me not upon the grave of one whose everyday life was so blameless that it furnished an incentive to higher thoughts, purer purposes and better lives upon the part of those she has left behind. Annie Smythe was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Srnythe, among the first and best friends I ever knew in California. It was the love and esteem of their honest and loyal hearts that made my earliest days in California tolerable. I would be recreant to my duty if I did not avail myself of the opportunity to offer a word of consolation to my bereaved friends and benefactors, although I am conscious that nothing I can say will lift the burden of sorrow from their stricken hearts. A sweet association of many years affordedme an opportunity to watch the growth and expansion of the beautiful life that has just undergone a transition, almost from the day the homo was blessed with the crowning glory of motherhood, until it had developed into all the charms and loveliness of youth, and unless our beliefs are a myth and the future a hopeless state, she is now enjoying the reward so nobly earned by those who are true to God, true to themselves and true to their fellow man. The subject of this sketch lived with her parents in Dixon, attending the public schools, until she was 12 years of tine. The family then moved to Del Norte county, but returned to Dixon at the end of a year and a half.  She then entered St. Gertrude's Academy, at Rio Vista, where she remained until the family removed to Marienfeld, now Stanton, Texas. At that place she was a pupil of the Herman Catholic parochial school for n year and a half . The family then moved to Odessa, Tom Green county, the name of which has since been changed to Ector. On the 27th of July, 1888, she was married to F. P. Scott, a railroad man and a native of Louisiana. A year later her health began to fail and, accompanied by her mother, she returned to California, hoping to benefit it. Failing to find the relief she expected, she returned to Texas at the end of six  months, where she continued to reside until the hour of her death. Besides her parents, she leaves a husband and two children, one a little daughter nearly 4 years old, and the other a little son, almost 2 years old. She also leaves many relatives in the United States and Canada. She was a devout Catholic and died iu its communion, and sustained by all its blessed sacraments. Having lived righteously she died peacefully, and was buried on the 5th instant from the Carmelite monastery at Adeeua, iu the presence of nearly all the people of the community, which will long bear the impress of her good deeds and Christian influence. Devotion and faithfulness characterized all her relations as child, wife, mother and friend. Gentleness, amiability and sincerity were the predominating traits of her character. Unselfish love, broad Christian charity and a wealth of human sympathy were the graces that made her in the highest, broadest and best sense of the word, a womanly woman. A combination of rare virtues exalted her character. To the poor she was a benefactor, to the good a companion and to all an example. As she went to sleep I believe that her pathway was brightened by content and by resignation and that the hope of the true Christian lit its sacred fires in her soul. E. E. L.
James "Jim" Earl Simpson was born to Mack Reese and Eugie Webster Simpson on April 26, 1926 in O'Donnell, Texas.
    He was the oldest of eight children, passed away Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at Medical Center Hospital in Odessa. Growing up in the Great Depression he developed lifelong perseverance and a work ethic that defined his entire future. `Upon graduation from high school, he joined the Navy on Dec. 28, 1943 and served his country in the Pacific theatre, during World War II, including the invasion of Okinawa and later in the Philippines; in the Medical Corps until June 19, 1946. After the war Jim attended West Texas State University in Canyon, Texas starting a career in oil field construction that eventually took him to South America, where he met and married Gladys Nidia Gerschenon in 1965. His work took him to Australia, North Africa, the Middle East and the Caribbean.
    In 1973 when he decided to stay close to home, he opened "Jim's Tall and Big Men's" clothing store. For the last 37 years Jim became involved in civic and community organizations including Odessa Downtown Lions Club, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, Fellowship Masonic Lodge #1385 and the El Paso Scottish Rite.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Pat Simpson and Ethel Marie (Bea) Strong; and three brothers in law, B. W. Hudgins, George Husted and Paul Rebber.
He is survived by his wife of forty-five years, Gladys; daughter, Linda Simpson-Jones of Bryan TX; son, David A. Simpson of Odessa, and granddaughter, Nikki Thurman; and great-grandchild Baylee Cordova of Albuquerque, NM; four sisters, Maxine Hudgins of Fort Worth, Maurice Chamberlain, Mary Husted and Carolyn Rebber of Lamesa; one brother, Ralph and wife Virginia of St. Cloud MN; and brother-in-laws, Homer Chamberlain of Lamesa, Jimmy Simpson of Texarkana and Richard Strong of Amarillo; and as well as numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and a multitude of friends. 
    He had fond memories of growing up in O'Donnell and enjoyed going back periodically to see the town and the friends that still lived there.
    Jim was friendly to all, never met a stranger he did not see as a potential friend, always had a smile and helped others in need. He will be missed, not only by his family and friends, but also the business associates he worked with throughout the years.
    Visitation will be held at Frank W. Wilson Funeral Home at 4635 Oakwood Drive Odessa, TX, from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, March 28, 2010.
    Graveside services will be held at the O'Donnell cemetery, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 2 p.m. Services are entrusted to Frank W. Wilson Funeral Directors (submitted by @

Uncle Peter Smythe Gone to His Reward
A letter to The Herald from the Sisters of Mercy at Stanton, brings news of the death, in the home which these good women had provided for him and in which they had tenderly cared for him for the past ten years, on the 16th ultimo, of Peter Smythe, a former resident of Odessa, and familiarly known to the former residents of this place as “Uncle Peter.”
      “He had no disease,' writes the sister, 'but his mind was shattered.  He died of old age and was laid to rest here in our cemetery.”
      The wife of Peter Smythe preceded him by many years to the Better Land, while even before this, the only child that had blessed their long union, Mrs. Nannie Scott, had passed away.  Thus the old man had been alone for many years, during which time he was cared for by the Sisters of the Academy of Our Lady of Mercy at Stanton. 
      For many years “Uncle Peter” was a familiar figure in Odessa and had a powerful influence over its affairs.  After the organization of Ector county he was, for many years, a sort of general deputy to all of the county officers, being by far the best educated man in the county.
      Old Odessans will feel a touch of sadness and loss when they learn of the death of this simple, unassuming old man, whose life motto was “Do ye unto others, even as ye would that they do unto you.”  (The Odessa Herald, Odessa, Texas, Aug. 2, 1919 – vm)
Odessa, Tex., June 14 - Uncle Charlie White died this morning at his residence from the effects of being kicked by a mule.  Uncle Charlie was 82 years old. (Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Tex., June 15, 1905)



© Copyright by Genealogy Trails
All rights reserved