Prehistorically, the area had many springs with
drinkable water that supported wildlife and nomadic hunters.
Antonio de Espejo visited the area in 1583 and crossed the
Pecos River. John Pope surveyed the area in 1854 for a
railroad company, and returned in 1855 to start a camp in
northwestern Loving County and establish artesian wells in the
area, however the venture was unsuccessful and was abandoned
Loving is the only county in Texas to be
incorporated twice, first in 1893 and then once more in 1931.
Its initial organization was effected by a canal company
founded in Denver, Colorado, and
appears to have been based upon fraud and willful
misrepresentations made by the founders to state
officials. After a local landowner hired a New York firm
to investigate alleged improprieties in county government, the
company's organizers fled, taking with them all the county
records. The state legislature subsequently disorganized
Loving in 1897, attaching it to Reeves County.
discovered in 1921, leading to a population increase in Loving
County. By 1930 there were 195 residents, mostly living in
what would become the town of Mentone, which became the county
seat when Loving was reconstituted in
1931. By 1933, the population had peaked at 600, only
to enter a steady decline to the present day.
Loving in 1931- Organization forces
were led by J. J. Wheat and B. F. Ramsey, pioneers of the
county. Another group headed by Lige Hall, ranchman, opposed
organization and forced the petitioners to prove that
seventy-five of the citizens signing the petition were