We regret that we are unable to
perform personal research for anybody.
The municipality of Matagordawas created during the Mexican regime in 1834, and its territory comprisedthe southeast corner of the original Austin grants. The western portion was taken in December, 1835, to form themunicipality of Jackson, and after the creation of Wharton Countyin 1846 the limits of MatagordaCounty were fixed in their present form. The municipality was organizedas a county afterthe establishment of the Republic, and the Town of Matagorda,which was incorporated in 1837, became the county seat. A custom house had been establishedat Matagorda about1831, and it seems to have been maintained throughout the troubled period leading to the Revolution, the collectionsof the port being the chief reliance of the Mexican garrisons at Goliad and San Antonio. Matagorda is at the mouth of the Colorado,thirty miles from Pass Cavallo, the entrance to MatagordaBay, and while not so accessible a port as Galveston, Velasco and Lavaca,its importance increased with the settlement of the country behind it in the Colorado Valley.
The county seat is Bay City
Palacios - Blessing - Markham -Van Vleck