There is archeological
evidence that Indians camped in the Blanco County area as early as
A.D. 1150, and ancestors of the Lipan Apaches, who had migrated from
the great Northwest, may have been roaming the area when the Spanish
arrived in the sixteenth century. By 1836 the
Comanches had claimed all lands within the present boundaries of
Blanco County. This hostile tribe made war on Apaches and white
settlers alike, causing them to band together to fight their common
In 1855 settlers in the western part of what
was then Comal County began to agitate for a new county. As a
result, Kerr County was established in 1856. This, however, did not
help the people of northern Comal County. They continued to petition
the legislature, and through the efforts of members of the
Pittsburgh Land Company, Blanco County was formed on February 12,
1858, from parts of Comal, Hays, Burnet, and Gillespie counties and
named for the Blanco River.
Blanco County is located in the Hill Country
of central Texas, west of Austin and north of San Antonio. Two
significant rivers, the Blanco River and the Pedernales River, flow
through the county.
Excerpted from Mary H. Ogilvie and John Leffler, "BLANCO COUNTY,"
Handbook of Texas Online; Published by the Texas State Historical
Cities and Towns