Thirty-six whites were killed and sixty wounded in the battle; Indian casualties
totaled eleven dead and thirty-one wounded. The area had been part of the Fisher-Miller Land Grant of 1843, but
no settlements were established in what is now Irion County until the late 1870s, after the Indian threat had been
eliminated. In 1874 the area became part of Tom Green County, which was formed that year from 12,500 square miles
taken from Bexar County. G. W. Wood, Richard F. Tankersley, Bruce McCain, and others established cattle ranches
in the area.
In 1889 the Texas legislature formed Irion County from Tom Green County, and that
same year the county was organized with Sherwood county seat. By 1890, 118 farms and ranches, encompassing 193,000
acres, had been established in the county. Though fourteen of these were larger than 1,000 acres, many were relatively
small holdings; the average size was 1,627 acres. Nevertheless, ranching dominated the local economy.
Laura Bullion - Female Outlaw of the Old