Schleicher County, Texas
Firsts of the County
Courthouses and Jails
A History of Texas and Texans, Volume 2 By Francis White Johnson (Published by American Historical Society, 1914) -
Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
Schleicher County was detached from the original area of Crockett County in 1887, and was organized in July, 1901. It lies immediately west of Menard County, and it was under the protection of old Fort McKavett, on the San Saba River in the western part of the county, that the first settlers came into Schleicher County, A branch of the Concho River also penetrates the county, and the waters of these streams are used to a limited extent for irrigation purposes, the amount of irrigated land at present being about five hundred acres. Live stock raising is the leading industry, and as yet the county supports a meager population relative to its area. The nearest railroad at the present time is at San Angelo, in Tom Green County on the North, but a branch of the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient has been surveyed south from San Angelo to Del Rio, and will probably be constructed.
The population of Schleicher County in 1890 was 155; in 1900, 515; and in 1910, 1,893. The county seat is Eldorado, and practically all the commerce of the county goes through San Angelo. The total area of the county is 887,680 acres, and the last census reported 822,314 acres included in farms or ranches. Of this large total about 12,700 acres were classified as "improved land," as compared with 1.180 acres in 1900. The number of farms increased from 60 in 1900 to 208 in 1910. The live stock interests were enumerated as follows: Cattle, 69,702; horses and mules, about 5,700; hogs, 4,071; sheep, 48,671; and goats, 1,176. The chief crops in 1909 were: Kaffir corn and milo maize, 4,174 acres; cotton, 1,259 acres; hay and forage crops, 1,293 acres; and corn, 689 acres. The property values of the county in 1903 aggregated $1,542,625; and in 1913, $3,189,380.
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails
All rights reserved