We regret that
we are unable to
perform personal research for
Before it was settled, the area that is now Baylor County lay
within the range of the Wanderers, a nomadic Comanche band, who
relied upon buffalo for food, clothing, shelter, tools, and
ornaments. In 1848 special Indian agent Robert S. Neighbors found
250 Comanche, fifty Tonkawa, and ten Wichita lodges on Lewis Creek
at the site of present-day Seymour.
When the first surveys were made in the area in 1853 the Indians
were still using it as a major hunting ground for buffalo, a fact
that made settlement nearly impossible. This continued until the
final defeat of the Comanches in 1874 by the United States Army and
their removal to a reservation in Indian territory (see RED RIVER
WAR). Baylor County was separated from Fannin County in 1858 and
named for Henry W. Baylor a surgeon in a regiment of Texas Rangers
during the Mexican War.
The first settlement was at Round Timber, nineteen miles
southeast of the site of present Seymour. Tradition holds that the
first settler was Col. C. C. Mills, who may have been at Round
Timber during the Civil War and was certainly there by 1870. He was
driven out by Indian raids, but returned by 1875 to join J. W.
Stevens, who had arrived a year earlier.
from Lawrence L. Graves, "BAYLOR COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online;
Published by the Texas State Historical