We regret that
we are unable to
perform personal research for
The county was formed on the western frontier in 1856 from
Comanche and Travis counties and organized in 1858, with Brownwood
designated as the county seat; the town was also awarded the
county's first post office that year. The original site of the
Brown County seat of Brownwood was east of Pecan Bayou. A dispute
arose over land and water rights, and the settlers were forced to
find a new location. Greenleaf Fisk donated 60 acres to relocate the
county seat to the west side of the bayou, on what is now the
current site of Brownwood, and 100 additional acres for county use.
The town was incorporated in 1884.
The county developed slowly between its founding and the 1870s,
primarily because conditions were not secure for settlement until
the late 1870s or early 1880s, as settlers were harassed by Indians
and white predators for twenty years after the county was formed.
The original settlers had to resist Comanches and white desperados.
In 1875 the Fort Worth-Brownwood stage was robbed five times in
two months. Much of the criminal activity during the 1870s was
attributed to John Wesley Hardin's gang; in 1874 Brown County
citizens were among those who lynched suspected gang members at
Comanche, and Hardin himself was forced to flee.
[Excerpted from John Leffler, "BROWN COUNTY," Handbook of
Texas Online; Published by the Texas State Historical
Cities, Towns and
Brownwood * Early * Bangs * Lake Brownwood * Thunderbird Bay *
Blanket * Brookesmith * Cross Cut * Indian Creek * May * Owens *
Winchell * Zephyr