We regret that we are unable to
perform personal research for anybody.
Garza is named for a pioneer Bexar County family, as it was once a part of that county. The county seat is Post.
Garza County was formed from Bexar County in 1876. It began to be settled by ranchmen during the mid-1870s, when buffalo hunting had nearly devastated the herds. Two of the earliest ranchers in the county were Andy and Frank Long, who stocked the range south of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos for their OS Ranch.
In 1879 W. C. Young and Ben Galbraith established the Llano Cattle Co in the northwest part of Garza County. The ubiquitous West Texas rancher John B. Slaughter used Garza County rangeland during the 1870s. In 1880 the census counted thirty-six residents in the county.
The development of the county quickly accelerated after 1906, when Charles William Post bought 250,000 acres in Lynn and Garza counties to start an experimental colony. He bought a number of ranches, fenced off the land in 160-acre tracts, laid out a townsite, built houses, and in other ways worked to attract settlers. In 1907 Garza County was formally organized, with the new town of Post City designated as county seat. Land speculators and liquor were banned in the settlement. That same year, Stockton Henry began publication of the Post City Post.
[John Leffler, "GARZA COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online; Published by the Texas State Historical Association]
Close City * Post * Justiceburg * Southland