Welcome to Genealogy Trails!
Proudly Presents:
Texas
The "Lone Star" State

Texas picture

 

State Seal 


Welcome to Texas Genealogy Trails!
*Volunteers dedicated to putting free data online*

This Haskell County Website is available for adoption.

If interested in joining our group, view our
Volunteer Information Page and contact Kim.


[Basic webpage design knowledge and a desire to transcribe data is required]


We regret that we cannot perform personal research for anybody

The boundaries to this county were fixed in 1858, but no county organization was instituted until January, 1885. For many years the population was small, was chiefly engaged in stock raising and all the products of the county went out to railroad points at some distance. The first railway was the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient, which was graded through the county in 1903 and put in operation about 1905. Along this road were located three towns, Sagerton, Rule and Rochester Station. Besides Haskell, the county seat, rural villages were Pinkerton, Marcy, Ample and Cliff. In 1907 the Wichita Valley Railroad was completed through the county, and a few years later the Stamford & Northwestern was built across the southwest corner, making a junction with the Orient at Sagerton. The City of Haskell, on the Wichita Valley line, has become a flourishing town, increasing from a population of about 800 in 1900 to 2,436 in 1910. Among its business institutions are a creamery, cottonseed oil mills, ice factory and other public utilities.

At the census of 1880 only 48 inhabitants were enumerated. The population in 1890 was 1,665; in 1900, 2,637, and in 1910, 16,249, the increase during the last decade having been considerably more than six hundred per cent. Among a number of foreign elements in the county the Germans have settled and are an important factor in the agricultural development. In 1903 the county's assessed values aggregated $2,228,549, while in 1913 they amounted to $8,643,079.

Since the beginning of the present century Haskell County has been developed from a ranch country to a section of varied agricultural enterprises. In 1900 the number of farms was 256, and in 1910, 2,210. The total area of the county is 590,720 acres, of which 469,661 acres were enclosed in farms or ranches in 1910. In 1900 about 25,000 acres were in cultivation, while in 1910 the "improved land" of the county had increased to about 224,000 acres. The live stock found at the last census was: Cattle, 19,023; horses and mules, about 11,800; hogs, 9,106, and poultry, 77,313. In 1909, 18,420 acres were planted in corn; 75,984 acres in cotton; 28,870 acres in kafir corn and milo maize; 3,305 acres in hay and forage crops; 1,893 acres in wheat; 1,515 acres in oats, and about 28,000 orchard fruit trees were enumerated. Haskell County  is named for Charles Ready Haskell, who was killed in the Goliad massacre.






TO BE NOTIFIED OF OUR WEBSITE UPDATES,
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST!

 

ONLINE DATA


Mockingbird
State Bird

These are the types of data we are interested in putting online:






Contact Us to contribute your family's data

Website Updates
Dec 2009: WW2 Casualties

 

Surrounding Counties

* Knox County (north)
*
Throckmorton County (east)
*
Shackelford County (southeast)
*
Jones County (south)
* Stonewall County (west)

Back to the TEXAS GENEALOGY TRAILS Main site

Visit the national site of GENEALOGY TRAILS

 

All data on this website is © Copyright 2009 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.