Howard County, Texas
Obituaries and Death Notices


Big Springs, Texas, May 6 - Bill Echols, who is charged with killing Clayton Black at Coahoma, has been given an examining trial and was bound over without bail to await the action of the grand jury.  Black's funeral was held here. (El Paso Herald, El Paso, Tex, May 6, 1912)

BROWN, Daughter of GUY C.
Glenda, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Guy C. Brown, and their only child is dead. (El Paso Herald, El Paso, Tex, June 10, 1912)

Rites Pending for Big Spring Man
    BIG SPRING, Jan. 29--Services are pending for Earl Deats [Earl Everley Deats], 44, member of an old-time Big Spring family, who succumbed at a local hospital Thursday. He had been critically ill for a month. Mr. Deats was born in Fort Worth and worked as an accountant for Axtell's until 15 years ago wen he came here.
    Survivors include his widow, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Deats Sr.; and a brother, Walter Deats Jr. (Source: The Abilene Reporter-News (Abilene, Texas) January 30, 1943 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

DEATS, Dr. C. W.
Dr. C. W. Deats, Pioneer Resident and Dentist, Dies
    Dr. Charles Wesley Deats, 69, pioneer resident of Big Spring and long-time dentist and civic leader, died at 9 p.m. Monday after a long illness.
    Services will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the First Methodist, where he had served as a steward, and burial will be in Trinity Memorial Park with military honors. Arrangements are in charge of the Nalley Pickle Funeral Home. Members of the family suggested that those who wish to make memorials consider the Howard County Junior College scholarship fund, or the American Cancer Society.
    Dr. H. Clyde Smith, district superintendent and former pastor, will officiate, and the Rev. Dewitt Seago, pastor, will assist. Pallbearers will be George McAlister and Dr. W. A. Hunt in addition to HCJC board members Horace Garrett, K. H. McGibbon, John Coffey, Dr. P. W. Malone, Tom Barber and Paul Adams.
    An extremely vigorous man, Dr. Deats had carried on his practice even after major surgery several months ago. In recent weeks, however, he became too weak to go to the office but until the last kept up his good spirits.
    Born to the late Mr. and Mrs. L. T. Deats on April 4, 1894, he spent virtually all his life here. Like his father, he served on the city commission, and for the past seven years had been on the HCJC board.
    Dr. Deats' father was among the earliest residents of Big Spring, having come here in 1882 when Big Spring was a railroad tent city. It was two years before he could get a house built and send for his family.
    Charlie Deats was graduated from Big Spring High School, and like most young men of that day went to work for the Texas & Pacific Railroad in the division office following a brief period in business school in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Later he became a fireman for the Santa Fe and for the Fort Worth and Denver out of Fort Worth.
    When World War I broke, he hurried home in time to join Big Spring's own Company D, 117th Supply Train, 42nd (Rainbow) Division, and within a matter of months was overseas. He was a sergeant in the unit that served in the army of occupation until April 1919. After his return he entered Vanderbilt University to train as a dentist and was persuaded to stay on for a year and teach.
    He set up a practice in San Antonio, and it was there he met and fell in love with Helen Mueller. They were married on June 16, 1925. He established his practice in Dalhart prior to coming back to Big Spring in 1923. He had been active in his professional societies.
    Dr. Deats was one of the guiding lights in the traditional Company D reunions. He also was a founder of the American Legion original post here, served as a commander, and also was a past commander of the Veterans of Foreign wars.
    He was instrumental in the VFW post securing the historic John Birdwell home at 10th and Goliad (now site of nursing home). When the city acquired the Birdwell Tank area for Good detention purposes, he led a drive which resulted in the basin being stocked with trees as a living memorial to World War II veterans.
    Recently, the American Legion Post honored him for Distinguished Civic Service.
    He also was a charter member of the Downtown Big Spring Lions Club, had been a Kiwanian and also in the American Business Club. Dr. Deats also was a Mason.
    Appointed to fill the vacancy of Iva Honeycutt on the city commission on Sept. 8, 1947, he was elected to a full term in 1948 and then did not run again in April of 1950. His father had served as second mayor of Big Spring, and this was the only instance of a son following his father on the city council.
    Dr. Deats was elected to the HCJC board in April 3, 1954 and was re-elected to a 6-year term in 1960. This was one of his most cherished services. He also took a delight in the Methodist Church, to which his family had been associated almost since it was established.
    There was hardly a more avid sportsman than he, for he seldom lost an opportunity to hunt. An uncanny marksman, he won the class D trophy as recent as a year ago in the state meet, and for several years past his 60th birthday, he consistently scored high among the shooters at the national trap shoot at Vandalia, Ohio. Guns were his hobby, and he did all of his loading.
    His prime interest, however, were his home, his family, and friends.
    Surviving him are his widow, Mrs. Helen Deats; two sons, Wesley Deats, Big Spring, and the Rev. Richard Deats, recently returned from mission duty in the Philippines; two sisters, Mrs. Les (Ethel) Whitaker, Amarillo, and Mrs. Alfred (Martha) Moody, Big Spring; four grandchildren, John Wesley, Annabeth, Stephen and Mark Deats. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) May 21, 1963 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

    L. T. Deats [Lewis Theodore Deats], pioneer of Big Spring, and president of the First State Bank of that place, fell dead while making an automobile trip between Happy and Tulia Friday afternoon.
    Mr. Deats had been to Amarillo to visit his daughter, Mrs. Leslie Whitacre, and accompanied by his youngest daughter, was enroute to their home at Big Spring when the sudden death occurred.
    The remains were taken to Amarillo, and will be shipped to Big Spring via Lubbock Sunday for burial.
    The dead man is the father-in-law of Harvey Rix, furniture man of Big Spring who is well known to the people of Lubbock. (Source: Morning Avalanche (Lubbock, Texas) January 6, 1924)

Big Spring Banker Dead
AMARILLO--L. T. Deats, 64, Big Spring banker, succumbed to apoplexy near Happy while putting mud chains on his car en route home with his wife and daughter from a visit here. (Denton Record-Chronicle (Denton, Texas) January 10, 1924)

One of Our City's Most Prominent Citizens Called to His Reward Last Friday Afternoon
    When it was announced that L. T. Deats was dead, last Friday, a wave of sorrow overspread our city; for no citizen was held in higher esteem than was he. Mr. Deats, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Mrs. Martha Moody, after spending the holidays with another daughter, Mrs. Less Whittaker, at Amarillo, were returning to their home in this city via automobile. They had reached a point about thirty-five miles from Amarillo when Mr. Deats, after getting out of the car to attach mud chains, fell over dead. His death transpired about 2:45 o'clock on the afternoon of January 4th.
    Mr. Deats had been suffering from heart trouble for a year or more, though many were not aware of it and his death came as a great shock.
    He was aged sixty-six years, five months and twenty days and has been a resident of Big Spring for forty years; and no citizen was better beloved or more highly regarded. He served the Texas & Pacific railway here as locomotive engineer for more than twenty years and was given credit for being one of the most dependable men on the Rio Grande division. He had served as president of the First State Bank of Big Spring ever since it has been established and had held the office of Mayor of the City of Big Spring for two terms. He was a real Christian and practiced his religion not only on Sunday but every day of the week and in all his dealings with his fellowman. It was not necessary to enter into a written contract when dealing with him, for it was recognized by all that his word was as good as a bond. Joining the Methodist Church here about twenty-four years ago he was one of the most earnest and faithful workers and served efficiently as a leader of the board of stewards for many years, and many have turned to a better life thru his efforts and example.
    He was a faithful husband, a kind and loving father and a citizen that any community might well be proud of. Of an unassuming nature, he always stood for what was right and could always be depended upon to do his part in every movement for the betterment of his community or his fellowman. A kindly Christian gentleman who would not stoop to harm a fellowman in thought, word or deed was L. T. Deats. There is not a doubt but that he was ready to meet his Maker when the summons came; and his upright life should set an example for more of us to follow.
    The remains were brought to Big Spring from Amarillo, arriving here Sunday morning, and funeral services were conducted at the Methodist Church at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon.
    Following the services by the pastor, Rev. M. Phelan, the Masons took charge and also conducted services at the graveside in Masonic cemetery,
    He is survived by a wife who has been a dearly beloved companion for forty-eight years; two sons, Walter Deats of Fort Worth and Charles Deats of Nashville, Tenn; three daughters, Mrs. Harvey L. Rix and Mrs. Martha Moody of this city and Mrs. Less Whittaker of Amarillo, and to these is extended the heartfelt sympathy of our entire citizenship. Condolence is also extended to his brothers, sisters and other relatives. A sister, Mrs. J. G. Evans and a brother, George Deats of Fort Worth, were here to attend his funeral; while a sister and three brothers, Mrs. J. S. Cherry of Los Angeles, S. N. and Chas. A. Deats of Danville, Penn., and Will Deats of Plymouth, Penn., were unable to be present.
    The Methodist Church was inadequate to accommodate the number who desired to express a last tribute to their beloved friend, and this large gathering and the beautiful floral offerings were feeble efforts to show the love and esteem in which he was held. (Source: Big Spring Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 11, 1924)

Methodist Sunday School News
    A veil of sadness rested upon our church and school last Sunday morning, grief and sorrow in every heart, at the loss of him "whose like we may not see again." As No. 5 came in, bearing all that was mortal of our dear Mr. Deats, honored respected, and greatly beloved, teacher and friend, the entire Methodist Sunday school stood silently at attention, more bereaved than ever in its history. White carnations, emblematic of his pure and noble life, with green ferns, symbolic of the everlasting memory we shall hold in our hearts of his goodness, bore mute testimony to our heartfelt regard as a people.
    In the passing of this truly great and upright character from our midst, we mourn for our sad plight alone. For we know, with no shadow of doubting, that his immortal soul has passed the bourne of this sad world of ours, and is at home with all the elect of the earth, in that glad realm of endless day, where God reigneth, and Jesus Himself is the Light, the Land of Perfect Day. (Source: Big Spring Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 11, 1924

    At a regular meeting of division No. 212, Brotherhood Locomotive Engineers, the following resolution was adopted:
    That in the death of our Brother L. T. Deats the Organization has lost a faithful and substantial member whose zeal for the good of the order was ever apparent. And that our town has lost a good citizen and his many friends a trusted advisor.
    We extend to his family our sincere sympathy and assure them that we are co-mourners with them in their bereavement.
Secretary Pro. Tem. (Source: Big Spring Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 25, 1924 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Mrs. W. Deats Succumbs Here
    Mrs. Nettie Everley Deats, 73, wife of Walter D. Deats Sr., who came here originally soon after establishment of the city, died early Tuesday.
    She passed away at 3:30 a.m. in a hospital after a long illness. For several years she had been in ill health and for the past year her condition had worsened steadily.
    Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at Nalley Chapel with the Rev. Jordan Grooms, pastor of the First Methodist Church, officiating. Burial will be in the Trinity Memorial Park.
    Mrs. Deats was born in Indianapolis, Ind., July 11, 1879 and moved here in 1886--just five years after the railroad arrived in Big Spring--with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. DeWitt Clinton Everley. Her father had been a Union soldier and he was a lover of music. He insisted on extra training for his daughters and they studied in the Our Sisters of Mercy convent at Stanton and in Kidd-Key Conservatory at Sherman.
    Soon after their marriage, in 1898 they moved to Fort Worth and made their home there until 1922, when they moved to Mart for a brief time and then back to Big Spring. Their home here was at 503 Owens. Mrs. Deats was a frequent accompanist for many community affairs and she did some teaching.
    Surviving are her husband, Walter Deats Sr.; one son, Walter Deats Jr., Fort Worth; a sister, Mrs. Florence Jones, Big Spring; a brother-in-law, Dr. C. W. Deats, and sister-in-law, Mrs. Alfred Moody. She leaves two grandchildren and a number of nephews and nieces. One son, Earl Deats, preceded her in death.
    Pallbearers will be Aldon Ryan, Joe Pickle, Tom Helton, Jeff Jenkins, Lee Jenkins, Rex Morton, Leonard Burks and Hogg Coots. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 13, 1953 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Walter Deats Dies; Funeral At 2 P.M.
    Walter David Deats Sr., 78, who first came to Big Spring as a boy in 1884, died Friday evening in a hospital at Fort Worth.
    Mr. Deats had been living with his son, Walter David Deats Jr., in Azle since the death of his wife on Jan. 13, 1953.
    Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. today in the Nalley Chapel, with Dr. Jordan Grooms, First Methodist pastor, officiating. Interment will be in the Trinity Memorial Park beside the grave of Mrs. Deats. Masonic graveside rites will be conducted and Masons will serve as pallbearers.
    Mr. Deats was born in Danville, Pa., on March 19, 1877. His father, the late L. T. Deats, a railroad worker, moved to Big Spring in 1852, shortly after the T&P Railway reached this point. The family, including young Walter David, then seven, came here when accommodations became available in 1884.
    Walter David Deats started working for the T&P in 1892 and stayed with the company until 1922 when he joined the Gulf Oil Company in Beaumont. He was a roundhouse foreman for the T&P in Fort Worth for 20 years.
    Mr. Deats was married to Miss Nettie Everley in Big Spring in 1898. She also was one of the city's earliest citizens, having come here with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. DeWitt Clinton Everley, in 1886.
    Shortly after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Deats moved to Fort Worth where they lived until 1922. They lived in Beaumont for several years, resided in Mart briefly, and returned to Big Spring in 1927.
    The couple operated a farm near Big Spring until 1944 when they moved to California where they lived about two years before returning to Big Spring.
    Survivors include the son, Walter David Deats Jr. of Azle; one brother, Dr. C. W. Deats of Big Spring; two sisters, Mrs. Alfred Moody of Big Spring and Mrs. Ethel Whitaker of Amarillo; three grandchildren and one great grandchild. One son, Earl Deats, is deceased. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) October 30, 1955)

W. D. Deats Funeral Set at Big Spring
    BIG SPRING, Oct. 29 -- Funeral for Water David Deats Sr., 78, who died Friday night in an Azle hospital, will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday here with burial in a Big Spring cemetery.
    Mr. Deats, who moved to Azle from Fort Worth about a year and a half ago, entered the hospital Wednesday.
    He was born in Pennsylvania but came to Texas when he was 5, settling in Big Spring.
    He went to work for the Texas & Pacific Railway in 1892, a job he held until 1922. He moved to Fort Worth in 1890, the same year he married. His wife died in 1953.
    Mr. Deats lived in Mart and Big Spring again before he returned to Fort Worth again in 1953 to live with a son, Walter D. Deats Jr. They later moved to Azle.
    Other survivors include two sisters, Mrs. Ethel Whittaker at Amarillo and Mrs. Martha Moody of Big Spring; one brother, Dr. C. W. Deats of Big Spring; five grandchildren and one great-grandchild.(Source: The Abilene Reporter-News (Abilene, Texas) October 30, 1955 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

AZLE - Walter D. Deats Jr., a retired saxophone and clarinet player with several bands in the Fort Worth area and West Texas, died Wednesday at a Lakeside nursing home. He was 79. Funeral will be at 3 p.m. today at White's Funeral Home in Azle. Graveside service will be at 3 p.m. Saturday in Trinity Memorial Park in Big Spring. Mr. Deats was born in Big Spring and lived in the Azle area for 45 years. He worked as a musician until suffering a stroke in 1973. Mr. Deats was a member of a pioneer family in Big Spring. The family suggests that memorials be made to the American Cancer Society. Survivors: Son, Walter D. Deats III of Prescott, Ariz.; daughter, Annette Hampton of Bedford; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. (Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas) February 28, 1992 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Dunivan Rites Set Thursday
Funeral services for Marvin Francis Dunivan, 21, who succumbed in a San Angelo hospital Tuesday from injuries received in an automobile wreck 21 miles north of San Angelo, will be held at the Coahoma Baptist church, Thursday  afternoon 5 o'clock with the pastor, Rev. N. W. Pitts officiating.
     Born March 10, 1922, Dunivan had been living in Coahoma, and was employed by the Murry Oil Company at the time of his death. The accident occurred June 28, and Dunivan was taken to a San Angelo hospital where he was treated for internal Injuries and a brain concussion.
     A daughter, Mary Frances Dunivan, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Dunivan July 1 in a local hospital.
     Other survivors include his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Dunivan, Coahoma; his mother, Mrs. Emma Dunivan, Coahoma; three brothers, W. H. Dunivan, Houston; J. T. Dunivan. Jr., army, and R. B. Dunivan, Big Spring; one sister, Mrs. W. F. Mayfield, Coahoma.
     Nailey-Reeder Funeral home is directing arrangement and pallbearers will Include Jack Coffman, Mutt Robinson, J. E. Rowe, A. W. Weaver, Boone Cramer, Arch Thompson, T. R. Farris and Earl Reed. Source: Big Spring Daily Herald, July 7, 1943 -
Submitted by Maurene Richard Miller

Big Springs, Tex., Aug. 19 - Bid Eddins was run over by a switch engine.  He died in three hours. (Source; Bryan Morning Eagle, Bryan, Tex., Aug 20, 1907)

W. H. Kuykendall died at his home three miles west of town at the age of 63 years. (El Paso Herald, El Paso, Tex, May 6, 1912)

Death Claims Mrs. Mayfield
Mrs. Hazel Lorena Mayfield, 36 died at a local hospital at 5 p.m. Thursday. She had been taken to the hospital Monday.
Services were set for 5 p.m. Friday at the Nalley chapel with Herbert L. Newman, Church of Christ minister, officiating. Burial will be in the Coahoma cemetery.
     A long time resident of Coahoma, she had recently lived in Houston.
     Survivors include her husband. W. F. Mayfield, Houston; her mother, Mrs. Emma Frances Dunivan, Coahoma,  a daughter, Peggy Jo Perry, three brothers, William Homer Dunivan, Houston. J. T. Dunivan, Mars Hill, N.C. ; Dr. R B Dunivan, Seagraves; five nieces and one nephew.
     Pallbearers were to be W. I. Fuller, W. F. Jayes, Jack Sheppard, O. J. Watts, Neil Barnaby, Bill Hunter. Source: Big Spring Daily Herald, June 13, 1947 - Submitted by Maurene Richard Miller

MCKEE, Daughter of P.
The 8-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. McKee died in this city .  (El Paso Herald, El Paso, Tex, Apr 15, 1912)

Mrs. Joe Pickle Is Death Victim
    Mrs. Joe (Lucille) Pickle, 62, wife of the editor of the Big Spring Herald, died of cancer at Malone and Hogan Hospital at 9:30 p.m., Wednesday.
    She had been seriously ill for the past several months and returned to the hospital several weeks ago. When her condition worsened earlier this week, all members of her immediate family were called to her bedside.
    Services will be at 2 p.m., Friday at the First Baptist Church, with the Rev. Kenneth Patrick, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in Trinity Memorial Park under the direction of Nalley-Pickle Funeral Home.
    The casket will not be open during the service.
    Mrs. Pickle started work for The Herald in 1934 and served as women's editor, and later a columnist who wrote the widely-read column, "Round Town," and proofreader.
    She quit to devote her energies to her growing family but later returned to work for the paper. Declining health forced her into retirement earlier this year.
    She was a devoted church worker and served the local chapter of the American Cancer Society as its memorial chairman.
    Mrs. Pickle was born Lucille Rix in Big Spring Aug. 16, 1913. She married Joe Pickle June 15, 1937 in Big Spring. For the past several years, the Pickles have made their home at 2803 Cactus Drive.
    Mrs. Pickle was a charter member and past president of the Child's Study Club and the Forum, served with the old Big Spring Concert Association and more recently with the Community Concert Association, was past president of the Questers Sunday School class at the First Baptist Church, was formerly president of the Downtown Lions Club Auxiliary and worked on numerous charity drives, including the March of Dimes and the United Way.
    Mrs. Pickle's grandparents originally became a part of the Big Spring community in 1884 and her father, the late Harvey L. Rix, served on the Big Spring school board at one time.
    Survivors, in addition to her husband, include three sons, Tommy Pickle, Dallas, Gary Pickle, Austin, and David Pickle, Waco; a brother, Paul A. Rix, Biloxi, Miss.; two sisters, Mrs. H. R. (Maywood) Pickle, El Paso, and Mrs. Chester (Eleanor) Matheny, Big Spring; and an aunt, Mrs. Alfred Moody, Big Spring.
    The family is suggesting that memorials be made either to the American Cancer Society or to the Heritage Museum.
    Pallbearers will be Matt Harrington, Ross Boykin, Ray McMahen, W. S. Pearson, Harold Canning, Tommy Hart, Oliver Cofer, Wacil McNair, Don Pickle and Lewis Rix. (Source: Big Spring Herald (Big Spring, Texas) October 16, 1975 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Rites Thursday For J. B. Pickle [Joseph Binford Pickle]
    J. B. Pickle, a former mayor of Big Spring, resident of the city for more than 50 years and an adventuresome spirit in many activities in West Texas since the turn of the century, died in a local hospital at 6:02 p.m. Tuesday. He would have been 95 next January 26.
    Funeral services are to be at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Nalley-Pickle Rosewood Chapel with the Rev. Kenneth Patrick, pastor of the First Baptist Church, officiating. Burial will be in Trinity Memorial Park beside the grave of his wife, who died in 1963.
    Mr. Pickle had been in declining health since the fall of 1968, when, while on a trip with his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Miller Harris, he suffered a stroke at Watertown, S. D. Although he rallied, he had never fully recovered. Within the past week he had suffered complications due to pneumonia.
    Mr. Pickle generally is credited with being the father of the parks system in Big Spring, since it was during his tenure in the administration that the city first developed its major park - now Comanche Trail. Also during his service as mayor, the present city hall and auditorium were completed.
    Survivors besides Mrs. Harris (Janice) are another daughter, Mrs. Jonathan (Judith) Lancaster of Kermit; two sons, Joe Pickle, editor of The Herald, Big Spring, and U. S. Congressman J. J. Pickle of Austin; 12 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. There is also a brother, Herman Pickle of Detroit. A daughter, Mrs. Bishop (Jeanette) Bailey Sr., died in 1956.
    Joseph Binford Pickle was born in a log house in Weakley County, Tenn., Jan. 26, 1876, the first child of Mr. and Mrs. James Calvin Pickle. From a country school near Dukedom, he went to Dickson (Tenn.) Normal, from whence he took up being a school master in a one-teacher school.
    In the summer of 1900 he came to Texas and Runnels County, and one of the casual acquaintances he made was Mary Duke. He returned to Tennessee and teaching in the fall, boarding with a doctor. When his weight got down to 115 pounds, the doctor advised him to seek out a dry country.
    "I came to West Texas in January, 1901," Mr. Pickle recalled, "and it's been dry ever since."
    Nevertheless, he saw in it a land of opportunity. He first taught school in the Ballinger area, and when Miss Duke went with her family to the Panhandle a couple of years later, he decided separation was too much. They were married Oct. 18, 1903 in Hereford. She had attended summer normal, and together they taught at Wingate for a year. They then moved to Miles where he had his first brush with newspapering, taking over the Miles Flyer after a disastrous attempt at the sheep business. In 1906 he established the Roscoe Times (a woman, learning that he was unloading a press, snorted: "I lost two bits on the last paper here"). Although not a candidate, he was named mayor of Roscoe, when the town was incorporated. He became a partner in the Snyder Signal, in 1913, and soon had it on firm ground.
    He had been in Roscoe when the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific railroad was built, and when word came that the Midland & Northwestern was going to build at Seminole this seemed a likely location. The under-financed and poorly-equipped railroad took a half a day to run a train from Midland to Seminole and soon folded just ahead of a disastrous drouth in 1919. So Mr. Pickle moved his family to Lamesa and struck out for the Wichita and Burkburnett oil booms where he accumulated a small stake.
    With this, he bought a tiny produce business in Big Spring, then in the midst of oil fever. When the boom burst, he formed a grocery and cotton-buying business with Victor Flewellen as P&F Company. The business flourished; Mr. Flewellen took the cotton business and Mr. Pickle the grocery, which he converted into the Whitehouse.
    Like others, he invested heavily in land and extended his customers far too much credit. Finally, he abandoned the grocery business and tried mule-trading in Missouri, returning to Big Spring to begin a successful real estate business.
    Active in civic affairs, he had headed the old Wednesday Luncheon Club, was named to the City Commission and served as mayor 1930-34 when the city (Comanche Trail) park founded. He kept his realtor's license active until he was past 90.
    Mr. Pickle has been a member of the Baptist church since boyhood and was active in affairs of First Church here.
    Although the son of a Union soldier, he was the staunchest of Democrats. A highlight of his life was when, while visiting his congressman son in Washington, then President Lyndon Johnson invited him to the White House, and the next day to accompany him to New York aboard Air Force I. It was his first airplane ride.
J. B. Pickle Took First Plane Ride With Lyndon
    He later described his experience as "better than a fairy tale," but the staunch Texas Democrat did not lose his cool when he had an opportunity to meet the President of the United States.
    Reference is to J. B. Pickle, whose long and active career was highlighted in 1964, when at age 88, he had a close personal contact with President Lyndon B. Johnson.
    Mr. Pickle, with son-in-law Miller Harris, was in Washington that year to visit his son, J. J. (Jake) Pickle. At a social gathering, Rep. Pickle introduced his father to President Johnson. The President greeted him warmly, was impressed with his liveliness and invited him to the White House "so we can have our pictures taken together."
    The younger Pickle asked his father: "Well, Dad, how does it feel to be invited to the White House to have your picture taken with the President of the United States?"
    "I think it might do him some good," replied the elder Pickle calmly.
    The senior Pickle scored a hit with the President, so much so that Mr. Johnson invited him to ride the presidential jet to New York and back.
    The day started with a helicopter flight to Andrews AFB, Md., then the jet ride to New York. It was the first time in either a copter or a plane for Mr. Pickle.
    Congressman Pickle confided that on the trip his father promised the President that he would keep his son voting right by resorting to the razor strap he still has, if necessary.
    The President made his elderly guest an intimate part of his official arrival and departure in New York and even suggested Mr. Pickle hold an impromptu press conference, which he did.
    Upon his return to Washington, Mr. Pickle described his experience as a "wing-dinger" and something that "could happen only in America."
    He later described his whole experience as "better than a fairy tale. It must have been a dream." (Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) December 2, 1970 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Union Army Veteran Dies
Jas. C. Pickle, 91, Succumbs At Home Of His Son Here
    James C. Pickle, 91, Civil war veteran, died at the home of his son, J. B. Pickle, 1800 Main street, Saturday at 3:30 a.m. of heart attack. He had been ill for more than a week.
    Born in Bedford county, Tennessee on Aug. 20, 1845, he was mustered into the union army when 16 years old. He enlisted in the union army, although he had two brothers in the Confederate army, because of his conviction against slavery.
    As a private in Company F, first regiment of the Alabama and Tennessee independent vidette cavalry volunteers, he was at one time captured by guerrillas. While his captors sought out another union soldier known to be on furlough in the vicinity, they were surprised and he and another companion fled during the confusion.
    Following the Civil war, he settled in Weakley county, Tennessee and in 1871 was married to Miss Lou Dixon. Ten children were born to the union.
    Mr. Pickle had been active as a member of the Baptist church since a young man, having served many years as a deacon. He attended services here, despite his age, until failing health confined him to home. He had been here since October.
    Short services were held for him Saturday evening at the home of his son, and the body was forwarded this morning for burial Tuesday at Mount Maria church near Fulton, Ky. [Mount Moriah Cemetery in Weakley County, Tennessee], beside his wife, who died in July, 1834, and two daughters.
    Surviving are six sons, J. B. Pickle, Arthur Pickle and Gus Pickle of Big Spring, Lon Pickle and Dyas Pickle of Detroit, Mich. He also leaves 20 grandchildren, among them H. R. Pickle, Mrs. Miller Harris, and Joe Pickle of Big Spring, and seven great grandchildren, including Joan and Don Pickle, and Jimmie Harris of Big Spring. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 24, 1937 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Ex-Merchant, Arthur Pickle, Dies Sunday
Lee Arthur Pickle, 79, retired merchant and a resident of Big Spring for three decades, died here Sunday at 5:25 p.m.
    He had entered a hospital last week suffering from a kidney involvement, and Sunday afternoon apparently suffered a stroke. Last summer he sustained a broken hip in a fall, but he was able to be up and around before his last illness.
    Services will be held at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Nalley-Pickle Funeral Chapel with Dr. R. Gage Lloyd, First Presbyterian pastor, officiating and with Dr. P. D. O'Brien, First Baptist pastor, assisting. Burial will be in the Trinity Memorial Park. The remains will lie in state at the chapel until shortly before time for services, and the casket will be closed then and not reopened.
    Arthur Pickle was born Aug. 7, 1877, in Weakley County, Tenn., and engaged in livestock farming and trading. He was married to Miss Maude Orr in November of 1907 at Fulton, Ky., and they came to Big Spring Sept. 1, 1926.
    For approximately 14 years he was associated with his brother, J. B. Pickle, and later with another brother, the late Gus Pickle, in the grocery business. Subsequently he operated a furniture business before retirement in 1951.
    Mr. Pickle was a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
    He leaves his wife, Mrs. Maude Pickle; two sons, H. Randall Pickle, Lubbock, and J. C. Pickle, Big Spring; two grandchildren, Mrs. John C. Holmes, Lafayette, La., and Don R. Pickle, Lubbock; and three brothers, J. B. Pickle, Big Spring, D. W. Pickle, Fulton, Ky., and Herman C. Pickle, Detroit, Mich.
    Pallbearers will be J. T. Morgan, Garland Broden, Tommy Lovelace, V. E. Jones, Tommy Jordan and Logan Baker. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) December 10, 1956 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Big Spring Rites For Lee Pickle, 79
BIG SPRING, Dec. 10 -- Funeral for Lee Arthur Pickle, 79, Big Spring resident, who died at a local hospital Sunday, will be held Tuesday at 3 p.m. at the Nalley-Pickle Funeral Home Chapel.
    Officiating will be Dr. H. Gage Lloyd, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, assisted by Dr. P. D. O'Brien. Burial will be in Trinity Memorial Park.
    Mr. Pickle was born Aug. 7, 1877, in Weakley County, Tenn. He came to Big Spring Sept. 1, 1926, from Fulton, Ky. He was in the grocery business here with his brother, J. B. Pickle, for 14 years.
    Survivors are his wife; two sons, H. Randall of Lubbock and J. C. of Big Spring; three brothers, J. B. of Big Spring, D. W. of Fulton, Ky., and Herman C. of Detroit, Mich.; two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. (Source: The Abilene-Reporter News (Abilene, Texas) December 10, 1956 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Big Spring - The body of J. H. Reynolds, 64-year-old trapper, was found yesterday half buried in a gulch near the Colorado River 12 miles south of Gail, Tex.
      The body was found by a searching party after Reynolds had been missing for 20 days.  He apparently had been killed by a blow from a heavy instrument that crushed his head and jaw.
      Justice of the Peace C. W. Taylor of Gail returned a verdict of murder at thte hands of a party or parties unknown. (Source: Sweetwater Reporter, Sweetwater, Tex., Jan. 17, 1937)

    B. C. Rix, 89, prominently identified with the early development of Big Spring, died early Monday morning at Lubbock.
    He was stricken with paralysis here Thursday and was taken to Lubbock for treatment Friday.
    Mr. Rix was born in Cedar Creek, Wisconsin on April 14, 1845. He came to Texas in 1888 and settled in Colorado, then the thriving cattle town of West Texas.
    After four years he moved his family to Big Springs where he lived until 1926 when he moved to Lubbock. He was in business here for many years, and in the early days of Big Spring he was identified with civic movements.
    His wife died nearly four years ago and was buried in Lubbock.
    The Rix Furniture company, which later expanded to Lubbock and Lamesa. had its founding here by sons of Mr. Rix. Surviving Mr. Rix are three sons, Harvey L. Rix of Big Spring, Wallace W. Rix of Lubbock, and Jed A. Rix of Plainview, and one daughter, Mrs. Carl Svensen of Lubbock.
    He leaves seven grand children, Mrs. G. C. Victory of Lubbock, Ralph, Lewis, Paul, Lucille, and Eleanor Rix and Mrs. H. R. Pickle of Big Spring. Three great grandchildren also survive.
    Last rites will be held in Lubbock Tuesday 3 p.m. Mr. Rix will be buried beside his wife. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) January 14, 1935 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Mrs. B. C. Rix, 76, Dies; Funeral Wednesday
    Mrs. B. C. Rix, 76, beloved pioneer resident of Big Spring, died at her home in Lubbock at 2:15 p.m. Tuesday, the family of her son, Harvey L. Rix, was informed.
    After an intensely active life, comparatively free from ill health, Mrs. Rix suffered a series of heart attacks four weeks ago. She lost ground steadily until a week ago, her children all but despaired of her recovery.
    Funeral services will be held in Lubbock, Wednesday afternoon with burial there.
    Eliza Minerva Harding was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, January 26, 1854. Her father, who fought with the union army, died during the Civil War. She was married in Jackson, Wis., March 31, 1879 to B. C. Rix.
    As a young couple Mr. and Mrs. Rix came to West Texas, residing a short time in Colorado before moving to Big Spring about 42 years ago. Their first home here was located across Runnels street from present location of the Rix Furniture & Hardware Company's store. Two years later they built a large dwelling at 605 Main street and resided there 20 years, until they went to Lubbock in June, 1926, to make their home.
    Mrs. Rix was a devoted member of the Episcopal church and had been one of the leading members of the local congregation since its organization. Her friends, numbered by the thousands, always spoke of her intense love of flowers. Her yard always was a medley of gay blossoms and her home on of the community's most hospitable social centers.
    Mrs. Rix is survived by her husband; a daughter, Miss Ruth Rix of Lubbock; three sons, Harvey L. of Big Spring, Wallace W. and Jed A. of Lubbock. A daughter, Amelia Theresa, died September 18, 1916, and is buried here. Mrs. B. C. Rix's mother, Mrs. Amelia Harding, who died several years ago at the age of 92, also is buried here.Surviving grand children are Ralph, Lewis and Paul Rix, Mrs. Maywood Pickle, Lucille and Eleanor Rix of Big Spring and Alice Rix of Lubbock.
    The Rix family has been actively identified with the commercial and civic life of Big Spring for two decades. The sons and father have been in the furniture, hardware and undertaking business for 25 years. Several years ago the firm entered Lubbock and its business has grown into one of the foremost ones in the Panhandle.  (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) April 29, 1930)

(Special To The Herald)
LUBBOCK, Texas, April 30 (Spl).
    Last tributes to the memory of Mrs. B. C. Rix, 76, pioneer wife of one of West Texas' oldest citizens, were to be paid here this afternoon as sorrowing friends and relatives from over this entire section of the state gathered at her bier. Summoned by death Tuesday afternoon after a month's illness brought on by a heart attack, Mrs. Rix was surrounded by members of her family when the end came.
    Funeral rites were to be administered by the Rt. Rev. E. Cecil Seaman, bishop, Northwest Texas Missionary diocese, Protestant Episcopal church. Assisted by Rev. Luther G. H. Williams, rector of St. Paul's on the Plains parish here, and interment will follow in the Lubbock cemetery.
    Mrs. Rix was born in Washington county, and moved to Texas in 1887, settling at Colorado City. In 1890 she moved to Big Spring with her husband and lived in that city until 1926 when the family came to Lubbock. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rix were well known throughout West Texas, having business connections in this city and at Big Spring.
    The aged couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on March 31, 1929, and just exactly a year from that date the fatal illness occurred.
    Pallbearers at the funeral services this afternoon will be: Active: Roscoe Wilson, Nell H. Wright, Monroe Williams, E. L. Robertson, H. H. Griffith and W. P. Jennings.
    Honorary: B. Reagan, Fox Striplin, Frank Pool, W. R. Dawes, J. D. Biles, Wm. Fisher, J. M. Morgan, and E. E. Fahrenkamp, all of Big Spring; A. E. Pool, of Abilene, D. D. Roderick, of El Paso, A. B. Davis, L. H. Quinn, R. J. Murray, F. R. Friend, T. B. Duggan, W. S. Posey, S. A. Wells, A. V. Weaver, Ray W. Allen, C. E. Maedgen, W. H. Bledsoe, Dr. J. N. Mich;e, J. J. Clements, J. M. Gordon, W. A. Myrick, and R. H. Martin, all of this city.
    Mrs. Rix was the mother of Jed and Wallace Rix, of Lubbock, and Harvey Rix, of Big Spring, all of whom have been identified with West Texas' progress for more than a decade. Her husband and a daughter, Ruth Rix also reside in Lubbock. She also is survived by a sister, Mrs. A. Templeton, Fish Creek, Wisconsin, and a brother, C. W. Harding, Tina, Mo., together with seven grand children, Miss Alice Ann Rix of Lubbock, Ralph, Paul, Lewis, Lucille and Eleanor Rix, and Mrs. Randal Pickle, all of Big Spring. (Source: Big Spring Herald (Big Spring, Texas) May 2, 1930 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Ralph Rix, Member Of Pioneer Family Here, Succumbs
Dies Unexpectedly, Victim Of A Heart Attack
    Ralph W. Rix, 31, president of the Rix Furniture company and member of a prominent pioneer family of Big Spring, succumbed to a heart attack at his home, 433 East Park, at 1:30 a.m. today.
    He had been suffering several years from a heart involvement but Monday appeared to be in as good health as usual. His wife was awakened at 1:30 a.m. today as he sat up in bed. He called her name, slumped back on the bed and was dead before medical aid could reach him.
    Rix was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey L. Rix and had always made his home in Big Spring. Born here July 4, 1905, he attended the Big Spring schools, graduating in 1923. He attended school after wards at John Tarleton college and Texas A. & M. college.
    Enters Father's Firm
    Returning to Big Spring, he became associated with his father in the Rix Furniture company. In 1934 he was made president of the firm and had been in charge of its affairs since.
    Well known in this area, Rix had been as active in civic affairs as his health would permit.
    He is survived by his wife, the former Miss Willie Duvall, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Rix; two brothers, Lewis Rix, Big Spring and Paul A. Rix, Odessa; three sisters, Mrs. H. R. Pickle, Lucille Rix and Eleanor Rix, all of Big Spring.
Services Thursday
    Services will be held at the Park street home at 3 p.m. Thursday in accordance with his wishes. Tr Rev. E. Cecil Seaman, bishop over West Texas Episcopal churches, will conduct the last rites. Burial will be in the family plot in the Mount Olive cemetery.
    An uncle, Wallace W. Rix, Lubbock, arrived here this morning on learning of the death. Other relatives who will be here for the service are Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Svensen, Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Victory, and Mrs. and Mrs. J. A. Rix of Lubbock, Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Adams and Mrs. and Mrs. Ray Buchanan of Colorado and John G. Rix, Dallas.
    Active pallbearers will be Bob Currie, Obie Bristow, Bill Tate, Ray Simmons, Turner Wynn, Bill Barcus, George Oldham and Hayden Griffith. Named as honorary pallbearers are Ed C. Bowe, Fort Worth; Paul A Vance, Fort Worth; Dr. Oscar Koberg, Seymour; Dr. E. O. Ellington, Curtis Driver, C. O. Hall, El Paso; Henry Edwards, Bob Hamilton, Midland; Gerald Cresswell, Abilene; A. Schwartz, B. C. Strain, Joe Edwards, R. C. Sanderson, Dr. Lee Rogers, Ben Carter, Alfred Collins, Verd Van Gieson, J. P. Akwell, Dallas; L. A. Stewart, Dallas; Tom Cook, Dallas; Rosa Vines, Dallas; W. C. Bergle, El Paso, and George A. Burton, Sweetwater. (Source: Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) September 2, 1936 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu)

Rites Set For Former Lea Man
BIG SPRING, Tex. - Services for Ralph Edward Rowe, 51, former resident of Eunice, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow in Coahoma, Tex., Baptist Church Howe died yesterday in Veterans Administration Hospital here. He was born March 27, 1926 in Tonkawa, Okla., and lived in Eunice for 15 years.
     He married Patsy Ruth Shepard Sept. 26, 1943 in Big Spring.
Survivors include his widow of the home in Coahoma, two daughters, Mary Maddy of Odessa and Carol Brooks of Farmington; five grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Glenda Meyers of Eunice; two brothers, Ray Rowe of Eunice and M.W. (Pat) Rowe of Cuba.
Nalley-Pickle Funeral Home has charge of arrangements and burial will be in Coahoma Cemetery. Source: Hobbs Daily News Sun, Thursday June 30, 1977 - Submitted by Maurene Richard Miller

Big Spring, Dec 28, 1921 W. A. Smith age 65 years, well known resident of Howard County died very suddenly at his home several miles west of Big Spring December the 26th. He had been a resident of the county the past thirteen years. He is survived by a wife, two sons & five daughters. Funeral Services will be held at the Evangel Baptist Church at 2 p.m. Wednesday, December the 28th. Interment in Mt. Olive Cemetery. [Source: Lubbock Avalanche Jan 03 1922.  Transcribed by Danielle Swiney]

C. W. Towler, brother of R. Towler, county treasurer of Howard county died at his home in Ballinger at 10 p.m. Thursday Funeral services were to be held today at Smithville, Texas. Mr. Towler and his son Ralph left on receiving the message and planned attending the funeral. [Big Spring Daily Herald (Big Spring, Texas) 11 May 1930 - Submitted by J. Rice]


Copyright by GenealogyTrails
All rights reserved