Jones County was established on February 1, 1858,
from Bexar and Bosque counties. During the Civil War Indian raids
forced the frontier back to the east, and the area was not settled
for another fifteen years.
In 1872 the military post was reestablished, and a
settlement was made on a stream four miles distant. The actions of
Ranald S. Mackenzie and federal troops removed the Indian threat in
the mid-1870s. Buffalo hunters were followed by bone haulers, and
the last buffalo was seen in the county in 1879.
In 1880 John Merchant built a mesquite corral at the
site of the future county seat, and Henry Foster put up the first
wire fence in the county. The population of Jones County reached 546
that year, and when the county was organized in 1881 Jones City was
declared the county seat. In 1882 the name of the county seat was
changed to Anson.
[Excerpted from Mark
Odintz, "JONES COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online; Published by the
Texas State Historical Association.]
Abilene (mostly in Taylor
County) * Anson * Avoca * Hamlin (partly in Fisher County)
* Lueders * Nugent * Stamford (partly in Haskell County)