Welcome to Genealogy Trails!
Proudly Presents:
The "Lone Star" State

Texas picture

State Seal 

Welcome to Texas Genealogy Trails!
*Volunteers dedicated to putting free data online*

Sterling County Website is available for adoption.

If interested in joining our group, view our
Volunteer Information Page and contact Kim.

[Basic webpage design knowledge and a desire to transcribe data is required]

We regret that we cannot perform personal research for anybody

Created from Tom Green County in 1891 and organized the same year. Named for Captain Sterling. Among the earliest settlers in the area were W. S. Sterling and S. J. Wiley, both buffalo hunters. According to legend, Frank and Jesse James hid out on Sterling Creek in the 1870s to raise horses and hunt buffalo. Fort Concho (first called Camp Hatch, then Camp Kelly) was established by the United States Army in 1867. Camp Elizabeth, an outpost of Fort Concho near the site of present Sterling City, protected ranchers who moved into the area during the 1870s. Huge spreads appeared in the area, such as the Half Circle S, established by the Peacock brothers; the MS, set up by Schuster, Henry, and Company; and the U Ranch, established by D. A. Earnest and W. J. Holland. In early days cattle were driven to Colorado City and occasionally as far as Fort Worth. Despite the importance of ranching for the early settlement of the area, the huge ranches lasted in what is now Sterling County only until the mid-1880s. By that time, homesteaders were competing with ranchers for land.

STERLING CITY, TEXAS. Sterling City, the county seat of Sterling County, is on the North Concho River at the intersection of U.S. Highway 87 and State Highway 158, forty-three miles northwest of San Angelo and forty-two miles southeast of Big Spring in the east central part of the county. It was named in honor of W. S. Sterling,qv an early buffalo hunter and Indian fighter in the area, when it became the county seat in July 1891. As virtually the only community in the sparsely populated county, Sterling City progressed in pace with the influx of settlers, particularly from Cummins, a mile east. The townsite was donated in January 1891 by R. C. Stewart and surveyed and platted in February by H. B. Tarver. By June a hotel and several businesses were in operation and S. R. and Frank Ezell had established the Sterling Courier. A post office was established later that year. The first school was built by 1892, and the first cotton gin in the county was erected in 1895. In 1896 the community had 300 residents, eight businesses, and three churches. The Santa Fe Railroad provided service in 1910 but was later discontinued. Sterling City was noted for its windmills, which at one time numbered 150. By 1914 the community had two banks, two hotels, other businesses, and a population of 900. The town was incorporated in August 1955. The population was 800 in 1949 and 854 in 1960, when Sterling City had six churches, a hospital, a bank, a library, and a newspaper. The number of residents fell to 780 by 1970, then grew to 915 by 1980. In the late 1980s the town remained the center for county ranching and derived income from county petroleum production. Jack Douthit published the weekly Sterling City News Record. The high school enrollment was ninety in 1985. In 1990 the population of Sterling City was 1,096. The population was 1,081 in 2000.

source: Texas Handbook Online




State Bird

These are the types of data we are interested in putting online:

Contact Us to contribute your family's data


Surrounding Counties


* Mitchell County (north)
Coke County (east)
Tom Green County (south)
Reagan County (southwest)
Glasscock County (west)
Howard County (northwest)

Back to the TEXAS GENEALOGY TRAILS Main site

Visit the national site of GENEALOGY TRAILS


All data on this website is © Copyright 2012 by Genealogy Trails