Angelina County was formed in 1846 out of Nacogdoches County.
Lufkin, Texas is the County Seat.
The Spanish Franciscan priests, who established
the early Indian missions, found a strong ally in the young Indian girl that they named Angelina or "Little
Angel." Eventually her village became known as Angelina's village and the stream where it was located became
Angelina's river. In 1693 she traveled to Mexico with the Spanish priests and then returned to East Texas where
she kept the spark of Christianity alive for her Spanish Fathers. Angelina also served as an interpreter for early
French explorers. The Marquis de Aquayo noted in his journal of 1721 that Angelina stood with the other village
tribal chieftains and wielded considerable influence as well as directing much of the tribal functions. Spain's
"Little Angel" probably died several years later and is thought to be buried in the vicinity of Mission
Conception near the Angelina River. Angelina stitched her life into the whole fabric of East Texas. Her name is
given to a river, a village, a National Forest, and to our county.(Source: Angelina County government site)
The Commissioners Court was organized July 31, 1846.
Census Reports are available for 1850-1880. Marriages are recorded back to August 3, 1846: Deed Records, October 8, 1846; Probate Records, August 16, 1847: Marks and Brands, September 15, 1847; Deeds of Trust, August 15, 1850; Birth Records, June 22, 1903; and Death Records, February 15, 1904.
The Texas Almanac reports that Angelina County was "named for the Angelina River which took its name from 'the Little Angel' in the early tradition of the Franciscan fathers." [Source: Texas State Genealogical Society. "Stirpes", Vol. 2, No. 2, June 1962, who accumulated the information from the county Clerks of each county, as well as the Texas Almanac, 1961-62, Dallas, Tex.: A.H. Belo corp. 1961]